Tips on life in DR

Fernanda

Oct 5, 2012
Hello,

My name is Fernanda, and I`m currently searching for a new place to live. A friend suggested the Dominican Republican. Please, I would really appreciate more information on moving to dr as it seems like a very good idea.

Thanks so much.

Fernanda.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Fernanda;

Bienvenida, A LOT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF LIFE, D.R. IS A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE IF YOU ARE FINANCIALLY SELF SUFFICIENT AND PERSONAL PREFERENCES AND SO ON..BUT TRY IT OUT FOR A WHILE AND SEE WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT YOU DON'T.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is only one Dominican Republican, the rest are Democrats :)

Seriously Fernanda, why the Dominican Republic and as opposed to where? Are you retiring, do you have a young family, or are you single? Do you want to live in a city, or in a tourist area? Will you need to work for a living? Any tips we give you here will depend on all that.

As the previous poster said, you must visit and see the place for yourself first.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Fernanda:

Where do you currently live and what are your interests. Will you be working in the DR and are you retired? Some specifics would help to give you direction.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please come!
We are treated like "Gods" by the natives here.
I have a full time maid, gardener, and a "Handy Man" who work for food!
"Electricity, and healthcare are provided free to most by the DR government.
One DR member lives on food he gathers from dumpsters.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Come see it, live it and experience it and then decide. Visit different areas to help you decide what suites your needs best. Make a list of the things you can and cannot live without and while visiting here and getting to know the country this may help you decide if it is right for you.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If there is nothing tying you to this country, better keep looking. Things are not very well here currently and the signs are that we are up for no good the coming 3-4 years.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
If you are very near to wealthy , you could be broke in a few years if u don't get educated Really quick ... If you need to make a living Best to get AWAY from this island as far as its possible ... Third choice ... Mmmm

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Hello,

My name is Fernanda, and I`m currently searching for a new place to live. A friend suggested the Dominican Republican. Please, I would really appreciate more information on moving to dr as it seems like a very good idea.

Thanks so much.

Fernanda.

1st spend a Summer in the South Bronx. If you like it (and survive) then moving to the D.R. is a great idea.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
1st spend a Summer in the South Bronx. If you like it (and survive) then moving to the D.R. is a great idea.

"Dread, I think you may be kidding about this. Either way I laughed. But really the two places couldn't be more different.

Perfect example-went to a basketball tournament with some pretty nice kicks (I was playing, not spectating). Walked through three different housing projects by myself and nothing happened. Got a few of the typical cat calls-"what 'cha doin' around here, white boy?" But even this is a recent phenomena.

This type of crap only began happening the last few years or so, but I believe it's just some extremely frustrated brothers who think white skin and light eyes gets me a free pass in life, and it ****es them off.

But the homeys in question settled on the fact that I MUST be a cop walking to the local precinct so I was left alone.

Try being a stranger walking around by yourself like that in a typical poor DR barrio. My sneakers would have been taken before I left the court.

The other thing is you won't get inundated with the proliferation of people trying to hustle you as in a poor barrio the DR.

That type of stuff just doesn't happen in the Boogie Down to the extent it does in the DR.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
"Dread, I think you may be kidding about this. Either way I laughed. But really the two places couldn't be more different.

Perfect example-went to a basketball tournament with some pretty nice kicks (I was playing, not spectating). Walked through three different housing projects by myself and nothing happened. Got a few of the typical cat calls-"what 'cha doin' around here, white boy?" But even this is a recent phenomena.

This type of crap only began happening the last few years or so, but I believe it's just some extremely frustrated brothers who think white skin and light eyes gets me a free pass in life, and it ****es them off.

But the homeys in question settled on the fact that I MUST be a cop walking to the local precinct so I was left alone.

Try being a stranger walking around by yourself like that in a typical poor DR barrio. My sneakers would have been taken before I left the court.

The other thing is you won't get inundated with the proliferation of people trying to hustle you as in a poor barrio the DR.

That type of stuff just doesn't happen in the Boogie Down to the extent it does in the DR.

The two places are a World of difference apart, as you stated but my point was aimed at my perspective of the two places being equally different from life anywhere. The same elements of wonder, danger, uniqueness, cultural richness and excitement tie these two very different places together in my mind....but maybe it's just me.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The same elements of wonder, danger, uniqueness, cultural richness and excitement tie these two very different places together in my mind....but maybe it's just me.

The cultural richness and excitement of the Bronx has eroded in a sea of anger, frustration and general thuggishness.

This has been happening for a while, but it's become more pronounced recently. Very few kids want to be students and athletes, or much of anything anymore around here. They just want to be thugs or posers, spending their time in tenement hallways rolling blunts and drinking Hennessey from plastic cups because they think it exudes class. And many just don't care about school. Only 7% of those who actually graduate high school in the Bronx go off to college.

And cats in their 30's and over who are unemployed and unemployable roam the streets perpetually angry at the whole world, racist as Hell against anyone with light skin. This includes Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as well as blacks.

Not so long ago young people here had music, dance (the Salsa explosion of the late 60's/early '70's and then hip-hop in the late 70's), graffiti art, and sports as an outlet to offset the negativity derived from poverty, drugs, and crime. Most of these positives have eroded. Young people ain't into none of that anymore in the Bronx like they used to be.

You can tell the difference by taking the number 13 bus from Yankee Stadium into 181 St. Street in Washington Heights.

The streets go from gloomy to vibrant once you cross the bridge into Manhattan. The difference is palpable just from the vibe you get walking down the street. There are certain parts of Washington Heights going all the way up to 207th Street and Broadway that have taken advantage of gentrification, and there are many Dominicans that have contributed.

The Bronx is just getting sad.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Amazing description of things in the South Bronx...I can remember when it was Irish to some extent...Coniff's Bar, across the street from old Yankee Stadium!!

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The cultural richness and excitement of Santo Domingo has eroded in a sea of anger, frustration and general thuggishness.

This has been happening for a while, but it's become more pronounced recently. Very few kids want to be students and athletes, or much of anything anymore around here. They just want to be thugs or posers, spending their time in tenement hallways rolling blunts and drinking Johnny Walker Black from plastic cups because they think it exudes class. And many just don't care about school. Only 27% of those who attend public schools in Santo Domingo are functionally literate.

And cats in their 30's and over who are unemployed and unemployable roam the streets perpetually angry at the whole world.

I took the liberty of replacing a few words in your post to highlight where I think the similarities lie.

The Bronx is just getting sad, I agree but the "monetarily poor yet culturally rich/ proud" is bleeding out of the D.R. as well as foreign influences set the sights of poor, young, underprepared Dominicanos on the tangible trophies of success and they are caring less and less how they come upon these trophies. Murders, drug deals, extortion, you name it are all taking over as the Dominican population is becoming more urbanized and it's youth continue to confused reggaeton and rap video's for real life. Same phenomenon, different location.

Remember when US Presidential candidates used to do the photo-op tour of the South Bronx, promising to rebuild it? They don't even bother with that lie anymore.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I usually suggest a 3-6 month stay in a Latino "working class" (not middle class) part of Miami Florida as a test run.

That way you get some "exotic" exposure to hot weather, language/cultural differences, your personal "street smarts" survival skills ... and as a bonus you have "Little Haiti" nearby for additional examination.

Just a thought ..... ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
To the OP:

As a gringo I have walked through and lived in supposedly some of the worse areas areas in Santiago(Pueblo Nuevo, El Ejido) during the day and at night and have never been approached out of the blue nor much less confronted.

For me Santiago is no more dangerous than say Orlando Florida. Learn the ropes and the better areas wherever you would like to live in the DR and you will do fine. Come on down. :)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I usually suggest a 3-6 month stay in a Latino "working class" (not middle class) part of Miami Florida as a test run.

That way you get some "exotic" exposure to hot weather, language/cultural differences, your personal "street smarts" survival skills ... and as a bonus you have "Little Haiti" nearby for additional examination.

Just a thought ..... ;)

Who would want to spend 3 to 6 months in Miami? I think Puerto Rico would give the OP a much better feel for DR then Miami.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe

Hello,

Thanks so much.

Fernanda.

Fernanda,
It never ceases to amaze me:surprised: how someone plans a MAJOR change in life based on a casual suggestion and an internet poll of people who you'll never know.
Would you not visit and live in the country prior to making a decision?
At least with a name as Fernanda you surely are fluent in Spanish/ Castellano.

The DR may be a good idea for the right person and right reasons.:classic:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
She might be a Spanish speaker, but all the Fernandas I've known have been Portuguese.