Car rental at STI: any advantage to going with a local agency?

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
We are trying to book a vehicle at STI for our week long stay in DR. I note that besides the regular international car rental agencies, such as Europcar, Dollar, Avis, Alamo, National, Economy, that there are a relatively large number of rental agencies along Avenida Victor Manuel Espaillat, with names like Sunshine Rent a Car, Pronto Rent a Car, Lora Renta Car, Ez Car Rental, Hot Deals Rent a Car, Ability Rent Car, Adventure Rent A Car, Exotic Rent a Car, and A&R Rent Car, which I presume to be local agencies.

Elsewhere in the Caribbean or Central America we have rented cars informally where there were no international car rental agencies, or we rented from local agencies if we needed to cross a border (which was forbidden with international agencies), or if we needed a high fording depth vehicle (which international agencies did not have). But none of these scenarios appear relevant to our travels within DR.

I note that all the local agencies seem to have prices very much higher than those of the international agencies, tend to have older vehicles, tend to have more restricted hours, and the service does not seem as good. The only difference is that some appear to carry high end luxury vehicles (which would make me a target of the police). Yet these local agencies appear to be in business.

Is there any reason for me to rent from one of the local agencies at STI, instead from one of the international agencies? Is there some advantage to going with a local agency that I am overlooking?

May 12, 2005
I used Honda Rent A Car in the airport once without any issues. Also I can recommend Costa Rent A Car just outside the airport.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
They'll take your passport as a collateral in lieu of a credit card, if that can be considered an advantage. Overall, I would rather deal with a major chain for car rentals, especially if I am on vacation, as the likelihood of being able to resolve an issue after you left the country with one of those local guys is around zero.

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
Hi
There is an advantage at not renting at the airport - all the companies pay a 10% fee (they call it a canon) to the airport. If you look at the web sites of those companies that have offices on and off airport you can see the difference in the charge.
STI is not far from town so a taxi to an off airport office will cost less than the difference.
In Santiago i have always used Nelly who have given me good service.
Enjoy your visit

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hi
There is an advantage at not renting at the airport - all the companies pay a 10% fee (they call it a canon) to the airport. If you look at the web sites of those companies that have offices on and off airport you can see the difference in the charge.
STI is not far from town so a taxi to an off airport office will cost less than the difference.
In Santiago i have always used Nelly who have given me good service.
Enjoy your visit

We both had different experiences with Nelly. I once rented from them and they charged my credit card $200 dollars after I left the country claiming damages. When I returned the car to them the guy that inspected it said everything was fine. This was in 2004 so it's been a long time. Needless to say I never rented from them again.

Now-a-days I rent from EZ Rent car. Owned by two brothers who are deeply rooted in church. That doesn't really mean much to some people but these guys are unique. They treat their customers with so much respect and will never try to trick you into spending more than what you pay for. They go out of their way to provide excellent service. And, if you are a long time customer they give you real good discounts.

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
I rented from Ability Car Rental. The owners name in Santiago and he speaks english 809-626-4894. I rented a 2008 Nissan pathfinder for $70 a day. He has a lot of high end car. Lexus, range rover, etc.