penalty to leave the DR

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Hi I have been in the DR for 2 years 10 months, how much will I need to pay at the airport to leave please?:ermm:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think it is about DOP 500/month. You overstayed 32 months, so it would be around DOP 16,000.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is what the new-look Migraci?n website says:
http://migracion.gov.do/servtarifas.html

VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA:

Menor de 30 dias Hasta 3 meses RD$800.00 -
Mayor de 3 mese Hasta 9 meses RD$1,000.00 -
Mayor de 9 meses Hasta 1 a?o RD$2,500.00 -
Mayor de 1 a?o Hasta 1 a?o y 6 meses RD$4,000.00 -
Mayor de 1 a?o y medio Hasta 2 a?os RD$5,000.00 -
Mayor de 2 a?os Hasta 2 a?os y 6 meses RD$6,500.00 -
Mayor de 2 a?os y medio Hasta 3 a?os RD$9,000.00 -
Mayor de 2 a?os Hasta 5 a?os RD$14,000.00 -
Mayor de 5 a?os Hasta 7 a?os RD$17,000.00 -
Mayor de 7 a?os en adelante por c/ a?o adicional RD$500.00

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Put about one third of what you owe in your passport when you hand it to the immigration officer at the airport,but have the rest in your pocket, just-in-case.
When they ask "Por Que ese dinero?" tell them you want them to have the money, not "El Gobierno"!!
Works for me 90% of the time.
If not, just pay up.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Remember when all you ever so wise people had a 25 page thread on how thy were not going to allow you to just pay to leave any more ???????? Well do you ! I thought so . Fear mongering at it's finist .

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Close but no cigar, why post inaccurate information???

I stand corrected and subscribed to Chirimoya's post. I think that since OP would not google for the exact info, I might just as well give her a ballpark number..I think my post was still more accurate than the dogs and chickens one, though...

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Dear Catwoman, I will recommend that you go to the Migraci?n in Santo Domingo on the Malecon and pay the fees there because if you try to pay it at the airport it will cost you maybe 3 times more. I have a friend that one time had it paid 27,000DOP, so again go to the Migraci?n office in Santo Domingo and not pay it at the airport.

Jan 17, 2009
If they want to charge you more, ask them to show you the fee schedule. It works, but you need to force them into giving you an official receipt. Ask for it before you pay! I never had an issue paying more at the airport, where from POP, SDQ or STI.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dear Catwoman, I will recommend that you go to the Migraci?n in Santo Domingo on the Malecon and pay the fees there because if you try to pay it at the airport it will cost you maybe 3 times more. I have a friend that one time had it paid 27,000DOP, so again go to the Migraci?n office in Santo Domingo and not pay it at the airport.
I disagree.

I stayed 1 year 10 months. I paid $5000 @ the immigration window in STI and got a prompt receipt.

I returned 8 days later with no return ticket, no problem.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Did they give you some candy instead of change?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That's funny,

First time that happened years ago, I just smiled & looked at my friends and said "Told ya, it's a little different here"

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
the reason I mention animals is because I went from sosua to cangrejo the other day and I encountered cows, horses, goats donkeys and chickens all on the road. It reminded me about why I like it here.

I used to live in the new forest in UK and one day when I woke up, there was a horse with his head in the kitchen, Someone had left the garden gate open. I like animals.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
From my experience, since the new immigration law went into effect, Santo Domingo Las Americas Airport (SDQ) has been more vigilant on charging the overstay fine. (And YES, I KNOW that the new law did away with the fine, but I quit trying to make sense of this country a long time ago and go with the flow.) The fee is clearly posted on the wall, and they charge nothing more than what the chart calls for.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
In Puerto Plata Airport they have removed the sign showing you the fine to be paid at the immigration counter. So if you are leaving after overstaying your tourist visa, be prepared to know what the fine is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Davetuna, your story about "NewForest" is just like here in the DR!...ALMOST!
Instead of "Horse's Heads" in the "window", we get "Horse's A$$es"!
At "Carrefore" dept. store here in SD, they tried to screw me out of5 or 10 pesos, so many times, I KNEW it was on purpose!
Take a "Menta" they always said.
Finally, I had had enough.
When they said take a "Menta", I took a "Cadbury Carmel Filled Chocolate Bar"!
They said I owed them 50 pesos!
I told them I didn't have any change,and walked out!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC