Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
carretera-uvero-alto-miches-sabana-de-la-mar-consorcio.png

costo-por-sectores.png

carretera-bavaro-miches-sabana-de-la-mar.png

carretera-uvero-alto-miches-sabana-de-la-mar.jpg

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Pichardo, when is this new road scheduled to open? Seems like it could be a nice drive!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'd also like to see a nicer road from Puerto Plata to Santiago, but that seems to be a very low priority.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And hopefully one day once this highway is finished they'll connect it to the Samana highway and the east coast and north coast will be connected. Wishful thinking?

May 12, 2005
Well if anything, it will make the trip to catch a yola that much easier and quicker.

Anyways, I am glad to see better roads and infrastructure. I just hope that it doesn't create over development along the new road.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
And hopefully one day once this highway is finished they'll connect it to the Samana highway and the east coast and north coast will be connected. Wishful thinking?

That's tough. Los Haitises national park would be in the middle, and any road would have to be a long detour around the park. But a Ferry or even better, a bridge between Sabana de la Mar and Samana would be nice!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans can get to a hospital faster.
No beds, no medicine, when they get there,but FASTER!
Besides, the amount of money you can "Divert" from construction projects, buys a lot of "Yepetas", "Casas Del Campo", Trips, and "Rolexes"!
Buying hospital beds, medicine,schools,books, "Not-So-Much"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Priorities!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Dominicans can get to a hospital faster.
No beds, no medicine, when they get there,but FASTER!
Besides, the amount of money you can "Divert" from construction projects, buys a lot of "Yepetas", "Casas Del Campo", Trips, and "Rolexes"!
Buying hospital beds, medicine,schools,books, "Not-So-Much"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Priorities!

For once, I have to disagree a little here, CC. I mean, yes, hospitals need to better equipped and stocked. But the main problem with the health care system is that you can throw billions to a hospital network and billions will be spent and after that you are back to square one. You have stated you worked in health care here, so you know what I mean. The health care system needs to be developed, but that does not mean buying medicine and X-ray machines, it means giving people the means to afford that medicine and the use of those machines, but that is much more expensive. A few steps have been taken with the ley de seguridad social, but the reality is that there are many dominicans that can't contribute to that system, because they're unemployed or sub-employed. And to give them jobs you need investments. DR has a tourism-based economy, so you also need to develop tourism infrastructure beyond AI resorts. I think these new roads go a long way in that direction. DR needs to create more tourist spots beyond north coast and PC, and that miches/sabana de la mar area is bound to become the next target for tourism, along with the Cabrera/Nagua area, which already got the Samana road.ra

Therefore, I'm all against jeepetas and sub par hospitals and health care in general, but I also support investments that develop infrastructure. There are many beautiful places in this island I never go to because the roads suck. I had not been to PC in like 5 years, but I've been there twice in the last two months.

I don't want to sound like P here, but I think good things have to be appraised with the same passion with protest for bad things.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Castle, I am guessing here, but I doubt that you are a Typical Poor Dominican.
When you,or a family member gets sick, you go to a private clinic, and get the best care available here.
Your kids go to a private school,have uniforms, books, school supplies,take a nice "Mirienda" with them everyday to school.
Right?
Well many well off Dominicans have the view that the poor are not living such a bad life.
They are!
Their kids die here everyday for lack of the basics of life.
They drink contaminted water, when they get any water.
They don't go to school because they have no uniform,books, or supplies.
Hospitals don't treat chronic fatal diseases.
The government does HUGE public works project because that is how they steal the most money.
They pay double for everything they buy, and get HUGE "Kickbacks"!
I KNOW!!!!
The "Highways, Subways,and Malls, are all nice, but it's like painting the house, while it's burning down!!!
There is no FUTURE in THAT!
Dead Kids Don't Drive!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Castle, I am guessing here, but I doubt that you are a Typical Poor Dominican.
When you,or a family member gets sick, you go to a private clinic, and get the best care available here.
Your kids go to a private school,have uniforms, books, school supplies,take a nice "Mirienda" with them everyday to school.
Right?
Well many well off Dominicans have the view that the poor are not living such a bad life.
They are!
Their kids die here everyday for lack of the basics of life.
They drink contaminted water, when they get any water.
They don't go to school because they have no uniform,books, or supplies.
Hospitals don't treat chronic fatal diseases.
The government does HUGE public works project because that is how they steal the most money.
They pay double for everything they buy, and get HUGE "Kickbacks"!
I KNOW!!!!
The "Highways, Subways,and Malls, are all nice, but it's like painting the house, while it's burning down!!!
There is no FUTURE in THAT!
Dead Kids Don't Drive!!!!!!

That's all true. Seriously, I think so. But money that should go to hospitals gets stolen too, you know, highways are not the only source of corruption. My point was that the dominican health care system is only the consequence of other factors devided from general poverty. You can't have first class public services unless the people who use those services pays for it in a way or another. In the case of health care, the ARS model works (although not perfectly) in countries like Chile or Colombia. It doesn't work very well here because too many people hold informal jobs or no jobs at all. No system can survive on pure subsidies forever. But if you want people to be able to afford things, you have to give them jobs first. If you invest billions to have hospitals equipped, staffed and stocked it will be good for just maybe a few months, but you would not have solved the real problem and then after those few months you will be facing the same problems again.
I'm not a well off dominican, I'm not even dominican, but, thankfully, I have insurance and don't go to hospitals, I'll give you that. But I know that what you are saying is true. PLD has proved that when they want something done, they get it done. Too bad what they want done is never a better education or social security system. However, that doesn't mean that the few things that do get done should be dissed so easily, just because other (even more important) things don't get done.