North Coast - Information Please

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I have read all the North Coast posts in the last year.

For the purposes of the questions, please construe that North Coast means the area from Cofresi to Cabarete

On the North Coast are there any:

1. Vendors of good European / Italian wines?
  2. Independent butchers?
  3. Asian markets selling things like Kikoman Soya Sauce and Thai Glutinous ?Sticky? Rice?
  4. Farmers directly selling large quantities of chicken, fruits and vegetables?
  5. Independent sellers of shrimp and lobster?

I am relocating from the Capital region for business reasons.

Thank you in advance for your assistance....

DS

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
1. Vendors of good European wines: they sell wine over here at ridiculous prices. Having said that, I have not seen a nice Chablis, Pouilly Fume, Pedernales or St Emilion over here.
2. Decent independent butchers here are mostly German. There are a couple.
3. There is no Asian market as such, but the bigger supermarkets have a nice selection. Kikoman you can buy all over the place.
4. Yes
5. Yes

Hope this helps, and let us know what you are going to set up. It sounds interesting.

BelgianK

Aug 21, 2007
There are some individual wine dealers here who import themselves and sell fine wine in small quantities to other individuals and some of the better restaurants. Once you are here, ask around, and someone will put you in contact.

(I won't give names on a public forum, as I am not certain that what they are doing is legal.....I don't know that it isn't legal.... but just in case, I don't want to get anyone in trouble.)

Lindsey

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
I have read all the North Coast posts in the last year.

For the purposes of the questions, please construe that North Coast means the area from Cofresi to Cabarete

On the North Coast are there any:

1. Vendors of good European / Italian wines?
  2. Independent butchers?
  3. Asian markets selling things like Kikoman Soya Sauce and Thai Glutinous “Sticky” Rice?
  4. Farmers directly selling large quantities of chicken, fruits and vegetables?
  5. Independent sellers of shrimp and lobster?

I am relocating from the Capital region for business reasons.

Thank you in advance for your assistance....

DS

From The wine perspective, there is 1 italian restaurant, wll known in Puerto Plata that does have a nice wine collection (for dominican standards). Forgive me i can remember the name but will be there soon again so will give you the info. It's called something like Trapeza or so, I'm sure other members know the name for sure!

From reading your questions Sounds like you're starting a nice restaurant, please keep us posted, reading your questions it could be a very nice restaurant, am excited to visit it in the future!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If everything else fails on the wine front, you can always make trips to Santo Domingo where there is a whole bunch of fine wine stores...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If everything else fails on the wine front, you can always make trips to Santo Domingo where there is a whole bunch of fine wine stores...

Castle is quite right, as you live in SD , you know everything is there.
It is very simple to have your SD purveyors send anything you want by bus..... meat in coolers, wine, anything you need.

It arrives in a few hours - with proper planning/ordering.... and economical.

In fact, there was a couple in our area (Cabrera) who offered a concierge type of service.
They would take your order and go weekly to SD to shop for them and deliver back to your house.

Cabrera must not have been 'cosmopolitan' enough b/c I haven't heard from them in a while.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Actually I know an excellent wine merchant in Boca Chica. I am trying to update my information base.

Thank you for the information.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually I know an excellent wine merchant in Boca Chica. I am trying to update my information base.

Thank you for the information.

Some people in Cabrera order wine from a woman in Punta Cana - she sends it by bus.
So it can be done - easily.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Super Super in Sosua has a very good selection of wine @ reasonable prices.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Super Super in Sosua has a very good selection of wine @ reasonable prices.

They do indeed have the best selection, at the best prices.

For Europeans, the prices are still ridiculous, and the selection limited. But no fault of super super, it is the taxes and all that that dictates prices...

BelgianK

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
They do indeed have the best selection, at the best prices.

For Europeans, the prices are still ridiculous, and the selection limited. But no fault of super super, it is the taxes and all that that dictates prices...

BelgianK

Does the recent tax reforms count for foreign wines aswell.............?????

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Las Terrenas has 3 excellent wine merchant; French and Dominican buthers; supermarkets have basic Chinese supplies - but once in 2 months visit Chinatown in SD for the big bottles.
Farmers always sell for good prices at the farm gate.
Excellent prawns, lobster etc. from Sanchez etc. and many suppliers of farmed fish - about 60-70 pesos a pound.

I expect similar in your region.

yapask1

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, I do; just need to import yeast, yeast nourisher, sodium metabisulphate for sterilizing and stabilization via CPS or other carrier . Local ginger and lemon plus local sugar is very good. Also pineapple - sometime only 20 pesos a pineapple. The mash left covered to chocolate is very good. Even better if you use a food injector and some 151!\\

yapask1

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have about 600 bottles of wine in my wine cellar that I replenish mostly from the primary vendors and importers out of SD and La Romana. Keep your SD connections as they will definitely be only to happy to ship Caribe Tours or however to your new crib on the north coast.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
There are some individual wine dealers here who import themselves and sell fine wine in small quantities to other individuals and some of the better restaurants. Once you are here, ask around, and someone will put you in contact.

(I won't give names on a public forum, as I am not certain that what they are doing is legal.....I don't know that it isn't legal.... but just in case, I don't want to get anyone in trouble.)

Lindsey

LOL...at least they know who ratted them out on DR1!