Seeking a condo with balconey in the Las-Terrenas area.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Hi I am looking for a low-rise Condo by the sea in the $20,000-$30,000 range in Las-Terrenas, with a maximum monthly maintenance/association fee of $40 U.S.D.

I don't need a pool nor elevators, nor do I care for anything "common" as that only raises the monthly maintenance/association fee for things I will probably never use.

This isn't urgent nor a must, just an enquiry for now, so if you know of something you can p-m me.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
My 2 cents ??

You're better to rent if bringing in capital is a concern.
You'll do better

Pack a tent, portaloo, outdoor shower, small solar panel and and solar cooker and find a farmer with a farm with a view; this will be cheaper than a condo ; starting prices for in town condos are 30,000 to 40,000 dollars. I paid $41,000 some years back.

If you settle for a farm ; do not forget to milk the goats in the morning or gather grass for your rabbits; or find the eggs your chickens lay.
Goats can be difficult to handle.

I am sure for $3,000 outlay you can live on $100 a month.

Do not forget to fertilize the beans!!!!!

One alternative is to find a landlord who requires services and trade your 100 % presence for free rent and some help with upkeep. Grow some herbs for extra income!

yapask1

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

When I snap my fingers you will awake and come back to reality. $20-30,000usd would be a good down payment otherwise you must be kidding. The cheapest condo I have seen in LT is probably around $125,000usd and probably no sea view. Where did you come up with that price range? Go to real estate sites in LT and take a look. You will get an education.

LTSteve

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Starting prices for in town condos are 30,000 to 40,000 dollars. I paid $41,000 some years back.
yapask1

Interesting.

and what are the starting prices for a bit out of the town condos in the Las-Terrenas area ?

also, may I ask how much your monthly maintenance/association fee is ?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Hi:

When I snap my fingers you will awake and come back to reality. $20-30,000usd would be a good down payment otherwise you must be kidding. The cheapest condo I have seen in LT is probably around $125,000usd and probably no sea view. Where did you come up with that price range? Go to real estate sites in LT and take a look. You will get an education.

LTSteve

Sounds like you are a real-estate agent, if so, I'm sure you would like us to believe that those are the normal prices.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pack a tent, portaloo, outdoor shower, small solar panel and and solar cooker and find a farmer with a farm with a view; this will be cheaper than a condo ; starting prices for in town condos are 30,000 to 40,000 dollars. I paid $41,000 some years back.

If you settle for a farm ; do not forget to milk the goats in the morning or gather grass for your rabbits; or find the eggs your chickens lay.
Goats can be difficult to handle.

I am sure for $3,000 outlay you can live on $100 a month.

Do not forget to fertilize the beans!!!!!

One alternative is to find a landlord who requires services and trade your 100 % presence for free rent and some help with upkeep. Grow some herbs for extra income!

yapask1

Always creative..... and , yes - goatscan be difficult.... one 'treed' me once, as an adult !!

Humiliating........

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Interesting.

and what are the starting prices for a bit out of the town condos in the Las-Terrenas area ?

also, may I ask how much your monthly maintenance/association fee is ?

Now for a studio - modern in good complex about $50,000 now 4 km from beach. Maintenance for my condo including pool, security ,gardens, water, waste water. night lighting, waste disposal, parking, outside decorations etc. $200 a month. My electric bill with limited solar assist $25 a month. Exclusive internet with vpn to US, netflix expect to pay 50-70$ per month.

If you do not have a bicycle electric bicycle or motorcycle expect to pay 25 pesos a journey within town.

LT has many friendly people and anything you want doing is a fraction of US prices. Some people will dispute but in my opinion food is 50% or less compared major US cities. Some bars jumbo of beer is under 3 dollars - equivalent 3-4 US beers.

Most places the beach is within 20 minutes walk.

yapask1

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Thank you for your honesty Yapask1.

Oddly enough what puts me off more than the relatively high prices of a condo are the high monthly fees you have to pay even when you are not living in your unit for months at a time.

Also I must say, I HATE that they build pools for the condos which only raises the monthly fees.
I could never understand that, putting a pool for people who's only reason they came to live there was the beutiful beaches.

Now if a Condo had a pool in a city that wasn't on the coast but in the interior of the country I might understand that more.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Now for a studio - modern in good complex about $50,000 now 4 km from beach. Maintenance for my condo including pool, security ,gardens, water, waste water. night lighting, waste disposal, parking, outside decorations etc. $200 a month. My electric bill with limited solar assist $25 a month. Exclusive internet with vpn to US, netflix expect to pay 50-70$ per month.

If you do not have a bicycle electric bicycle or motorcycle expect to pay 25 pesos a journey within town.

LT has many friendly people and anything you want doing is a fraction of US prices. Some people will dispute but in my opinion food is 50% or less compared major US cities. Some bars jumbo of beer is under 3 dollars - equivalent 3-4 US beers.

Most places the beach is within 20 minutes walk.

yapask1

Sorry - looking at my 3 month condo bill nearer 80$ a month.

You could get a shack in need of repair a bit out of town for the price you suggest. Or perhaps a condo in Nagua.

yapask1

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Thank you for your honesty Yapask1.

Oddly enough what puts me off more than the relatively high prices of a condo are the high monthly fees you have to pay even when you are not living in your unit for months at a time.

Also I must say, I HATE that they build pools for the condos which only raises the monthly fees.
I could never understand that, putting a pool for people who's only reason they came to live there was the beutiful beaches.

Now if a Condo had a pool in a city that wasn't on the coast but in the interior of the country I might understand that more.

Many rents are to families with small or not so small children. They can play endlessly in the pool within a guarded complex.
Supervision is needed on the beach.

But if you look you will probably find a condo without a pool but it will be more residential or part of commercial premises. In todays market expect $40 k for a studio plus.

yapask1

yapask1

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Living on the Cheap

You need not HATE those condos, just do not buy or rent there. ;)
And:
For many the beaches are not the only reason to live here and they do not live in condos either.

You can always live in a little shack/house somewhere and walk to the beach.
Talk to Yapask1 over a plate of seaweed stew and all will fall into place.

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
NO I am not a real estate agent but I do own a condo in LT with a balcony view of the ocean. My condo is currently worth about $175,000usd and my monthly maintenance fee is $145.00usd. Both of these are very reasonalble. The price in the original post is totally unrealistic. If you want to live in a marginal area with minimal security you can probably find something at $50,000usd but that is a big risk to your self and your property.

LTSteve

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
It sure isn't urgent! You will be dead before u find a condo that you could live in , for that money unless its a tree top condo ! bird Brain , bird dodo no extra charge! go to Sosewer ( SOSUA) !

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
It sure isn't urgent! You will be dead before u find a condo that you could live in , for that money unless its a tree top condo ! bird Brain , bird dodo no extra charge! go to Sosewer ( SOSUA) !

Why are you calling me a Bird Brain ?
This thread already gave me the answers I needed thanks to Yapask1 and others who contributed.
It wasn't aimed at you or to upset you.

Although I do see how such a thread might seem as a threat to you.
Maybe it puts ideas in potential buyers that this is the price range for Condos in Las-Terrenas and thus has the negative effect of lowering the property value for those who like you made the foolish mistake of buying in the hunderds of thousands of dollars and cannot find any buyers to return them their original investments and have to sell for half the price and give their Real-Estate agent up to 10% commission and then having a hard time transfering whatever sum back to the states because it get's delayed by both sides etc...

Foolish Bird Brain, why didn't you buy in Florida a Condo for a tenth of the price you bought here ?
I understand that this thread triggered in you some bad emotions (imagine, someone wants to buy a studio condo in a 3rd world country for $30,000 U.S.D.) who ever heard of such blasphemy, right ?

Anyways I know that when you wrote that I am a Bird-Brain you really were thinking of yourself and kicking yourself for not having the sense to think like me before you bought your "piece in paradise", thus I won't take it personally.

Sincerely,

Bird Brain.

Last edited:

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Welcome to Las Terrenas

yapask1

By then you would have become "Dominicanized" and in the end if the owner is a foreigner living outside the country; you can pay a few thousand pesos and have the deed transfered in your name. Then you take out a loan for the entire value, default on it, hire a couple of "tigueres" and when the rightful owner returns, they'll threathen to kill him.

By that time the property will be in legal limbo, the bank will cut their losses and cash in the insurance; you pay the judge a few thousand pesos, each time the rightful owner returns for a court date, he'll change it to the next month, after a few wasted trips and plane tickets, the rightful owner will give up the judge will clear you of any wrongdoing and voila!

So you don't really need to bring any money!