The Fine Gift Centre

T

Troubled

We traveled to the Dominican in mid April 2001. We stayed at the Riu Merengue in Puerta Plata.

Two individuals we traveled with were recommended the Fine Gift Centre located at 12 de juilo esq. Jose del Carmen Ariz Puerto Plata, to purchase a diamond ring. They were advised by the travel guide that this store was very high quality and any purchase came with a guaranty. The tour guide even told our friends who to deal with at the store. Needless to say, a diamond ring was purchased. They were advised that the ring was 14kt 0.50ct diamond ring, with V V SI clarity and GH colour. The purchase price was approx. $2,500 Canadian. Once home, our friends had the ring appraised. The appraisal indicated that the ring was worth only $695 Canadian. The Fine Gift Centre will not return calls, faxes, or e-mails. Their response has been simple "Americans and Canadians do not appreciate the value of a diamond like a Dominican" "Do not have it appraised in America or Canada because the appraiser will try to cheat you". They continue to try to contact the Fine Gift Centre to no avail. We would like other traveller to know this, since a lot of travellers are taken to this location, it is connected to the cigar factory.

H

Henry

Apprisals!!!

There is a problem with apprisals everywhere and it is well known and all over the world - it falls into the same sheme!

Local jewellers tend to envalue purchases from overseas different to their own stuff, just to get the customer to buy their goodies! There are even brochures on that subject distributed in the caribbean!

This is not to qualify your frineds ring whether it is worth it or not, but just a general remark! Buying jewelry is in the big part a trust into the jeweller and its recommendation! Furthermore your friend should have got a certification for the stone, on which you can make any claim towards the shop if found untrue! According to the quality indicated above the diamond ring seems to be OK for the price sold! To me the most reliable people for checking on the quality on diamonds are the guys from the GIA (Gemological Institute of America) - what they say is the fact!

So before you may attack the shop to rough get their opinion! With their envaluation and the shops certification then there is some foundation for any claim!

Hope to have help a litte!

Henry

S

Sofy's B&B

Re: FINE GIFT SHOP..

If I can do anything for you, please e-mail me. I have known the owner for 12 years and have also worked with him...let me know. You can e-mail me. Noelle

T

Troubled

The response I received from the Fine Gift Centre would indicate that this facility is anything but FINE!! I was told that I was trying to commit insurance fraud. What a joke, the only fraud being committed is by the Fine Gift Centre. Clearly, what I was told about the quality of the product is not the truth since they are not willing to back it up in writing.

BUYER BEWARE!!! TRAVELLERS AVOID THE FINE GIFT CENTRE

A

Anny Mosity

Re: FINE GIFT SHOP..Whoops.

Appraisals for jewelry can vary by 400% depending upon whether the valuation is for insurance or retail value, or break up value. You can assume that a new item of jewelry purchased at a jeweler in your home town is priced at about 4 times the value of the gold and stones(s) in the piece.

On vacation, the margins are even higher. Tour reps and guides work on commission and receive 10% or more commission for steering you to this or that retailer.

It is OK to purchase a 100 peso item in Larimar or other semi precious stone from a beach vendor because you can only lose
US$ 6. Serious money for investment in jewelry should be left to professionals or purchased through a reputable auction house.

Why would you make a purchase of that amount in a third world country on a stranger's recommendation?

T

Troubled

Re: FINE GIFT SHOP..Whoops.

There is a valuable lesson learned in everything we do. I would just like others to know how this particular shop responds when called on an item, even though they boast about their reputation and guaranty. It is obvious to all who travelled with us that the Fine Gift Shop is not at all reputable. Thanks for your comments.

S

Sofy's B&B

I have a meeting with the owner of Fine Gift Shop on Monday noon... let's see what the owner have to say... don't believe anything from the employees... they are Dominican employees... please do not give up... Will post the outcome... good or bad.
Hopefully we can get something for you and straighten out the record.

S

Sofy's B&B

ANYBODY ELSE WAS RIPPED OFF AT FINE GIFT SHOP???

Please send in your complaints before 9 a.m. on Monday...Thanks