citizenship costs

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
since so many people complain about new residency, does it really pay off to get a dominican passport? how much does it currently cost - the citizenship process, that is?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
since so many people complain about new residency, does it really pay off to get a dominican passport? how much does it currently cost - the citizenship process, that is?

And do one have to be married? Is it not enough with Permanent Residency and having a Dominican kid with a Dominican girl?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Lawyers are asking anywhere between 50k and 60k... But once can bargain it to (much) cheaper ;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
These are the requirements for someone who is not married to a Dominican. If you are married there is no need for a guarantor and you need some of your Dominican spouses info such as cedula, birth and marriage cert.

1. A letter asking to be a citizen to the Executive Committee via the Ministry of Interior and Police
2. Five recent photos 2x2 from the front, with your hair short and clean shaven.
3. Two (2) certificates from the Immigration Department confirming that you have more than two years Permanent Residency in the country and that you have deposited a guarantee letter with them.
4. Colour photocopy of your residency with at least 4 months to go before it expires.
5. Certificate of good conduct from the Procuraduria General.
6. Original birth certificate, translated into Spanish by a legal translator, apostilled,
7. Letter of guarantee notarized and legalized by the Procuaduria, done by a Dominican, economically solvent, and where he guarantees that they are responsible for your morals, finances, cost of maintaining you and repatriation if necessary. In addition they must provide:
a) Copy of their cedula.
b) Copy of title of house
c) Copy of vehicle matricula
d) Bank letter
8. Legal declaration in front of 3 Dominican witnesses where the applicant declares that they live in the Dominican Republic, done in front of a Notary Public in the DR and legalized by the Procuradura General.
9. Reciept from a national newspaper for advertisment saying you are applying for citizenship.
10. A receipt for the application for naturalization (RD$1,500.00) plus the application form.
11. When the applicant is sworn in as a citizen need to pay (RD$5,000.00).
12. Colour copy of the last three pages of the applicant’s passport.
13. Five (5) copies of everything stated above.
14. If you have a different nationality than that you were born with, a note as to why
NOTE: THE APPLICANT SHOULD VOME FOR AN INTERVIEW A WEEK AFTER DEPOSITING ALL OF THE PAPERS ABOVE,M WHICH SHOULD BE CORRECTLY LEGALIZED, ORANSIZED AND SHOULD BRING HIS PASSPORT TO THE INTERVIEW. FOR ANY INFORMATION CALL 809 686-6251 EXT. 2057, 2055, 2058, 2056, OR GO TO THE FOLLOWING WEB PAGE Ministerio de Interior y Polic?a

Total cost of the above is 10-12k pesos. Please note you do have to be able to speak Spanish as the interview is in Spanish. I can't see any need for a lawyer to do the above.

Matilda

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
7. Letter of guarantee notarized and legalized by the Procuaduria, done by a Dominican, economically solvent, and where he guarantees that they are responsible for your morals, finances, cost of maintaining you and repatriation if necessary. In addition they must provide:
a) Copy of their cedula.
b) Copy of title of house
c) Copy of vehicle matricula
d) Bank letter
Matilda

I don't get why they would need a letter of Guarantee if you are applying for Citizenship.

Are they planing on deporting a future D-R citizen AFTER they become full fledged Dominican citizens with a Dominican passport ?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't get why they would need a letter of Guarantee if you are applying for Citizenship.

Are they planing on deporting a future D-R citizen AFTER they become full fledged Dominican citizens with a Dominican passport ?

Very good question....

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Very good question....

It seems then that being a full fledged Dominican citizen through naturalization is no different than from just remaining a Permanent-Resident, because according to #7 it would seem that if someone were to commit some sort of ilegal activity they would deport them (probably after they revoked their citizenship).

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It seems then that being a full fledged Dominican citizen through naturalization is no different than from just remaining a Permanent-Resident, because according to #7 it would seem that if someone were to commit some sort of ilegal activity they would deport them (probably after they revoked their citizenship).

I think the DR is so new to all this thing of having people coming to live here instead of the other way around, that they don't know very well what they're doing.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I think the DR is so new to all this thing of having people coming to live here instead of the other way around, that they don't know very well what they're doing.

Now get this:

For renewing your Permanent-Residency that same letter of guarantee that Migracion asked for and now holds is good for the 2 or 4 years one renews, so that if they commit a crime the guarantor has to flip the bill for bail and deportation, but since this is a lifetime citizenship we're talking about than that guarantor is the guarantor FOR LIFE !
Talk about pressure on that citizenship guarantor.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Now get this:

For renewing your Permanent-Residency that same letter of guarantee that Migracion asked for and now holds is good for the 2 or 4 years one renews, so that if they commit a crime the guarantor has to flip the bill for bail and deportation, but since this is a lifetime citizenship we're talking about than that guarantor is the guarantor FOR LIFE !
Talk about pressure on that citizenship guarantor.

And what about those who resign (or have to) their original citizenship? Not that I know any who would, but stil...would they deport them to an Atoll in the pacific?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
And what about those who resign (or have to) their original citizenship? Not that I know any who would, but stil...would they deport them to an Atoll in the pacific?

You mean like a German who would forefeit his German citizenhood to get a Dominican citizenship and passport and later commits some crime deserving of revoking his citizenship and deportation.

I'll leave that one to the legal proffesionals.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see. overall not any more expensive than a new residency if you care to do it yourself.
i have a friend who is having her residency updated: had to do all new medical, provide piles of paperwork and still not ready. she spent about 12-13k already.

in the meantime i am getting slightly worried. have been waiting for over two months for my cars and still nada. a lady in migracion santiago assures me things will be solved soon but i know what "soon" means here :) :(

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Naturalization is revocable in case it has been obtained under false or misleading information. It is the same everywhere. In the US, for example, many former Nazis have been stripped of their American citizenship for not disclosing their past.