Re Plan To Rescue Sosua Bay

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]What has become of the plan to rescue the bay of Sos?a?
In an article of March 6, 2007 we wrote about the threat to the fish population and the decline of coral reefs in and around the bay of Sos?a. The causes of this decline were the pollution, overfishing and two stroke engine motorboats that take the tourists to the coral reefs. Led by Massimiliano Serra (former president of the Aqua Center) a plan for salvation of the bay of Sos?a was discussed and approved.[/h] [h=5]The bay of Sos?a[/h]
[h=5]The intention was that the bay was closed to motor boats, jet skis and banana boats. There were three areas in the bay to be plotted (marked with buoys), with a narrow passage to the ocean. Through this passage boats could reach the open ocean and there you should be able to boat, fish and dive your heart out. The bay thus stayed accessible to swimmers and sun worshipers. They also wanted to establish breeding sites for the growth of new coral and a breeding ground for fish and lobsters. There was also a plan for cleaning the river that culminates in the bay. Of all these plans unfortunately little has come off. Well, concrete hollow spheres with holes have been placed into the water so the coral, fish and lobster population could recover again. Divers from different dive schools told us that these spheres are there, but that there is hardly noticeable growth of coral. Well, now there are swimming some more small fish around these spheres. That is of course progress.[/h]
[h=5]In many places, the condition of the coral deteriorated further in recent years. Although, fortunately, still in many places beautiful coral parties can be found. Also, diving enthusiasts can still enjoy the beautiful flora and fauna under water. In some places, besides anglerfish and other fish you can admire beautiful seahorses. According to spokesmen of some diving schools the danger of pollution is reasonably solved. But the two stroke motorboats have an exhaust underwater, that remains bad for the coral. But there is more. It seems that the climate is changing. In the winter it is too cold and in summer it takes too long before the water reaches the correct temperature.[/h]
[h=5]The bay of Sos?a[/h] [h=5]Especially coral, they say, suffers from this climate change. This is a threat that is not easy to defeat with a plan.[/h]

Leroyus

Oct 15, 2012
Follow the money trail! I have seen one of the park boats on CMR beach and the other was sent to SD after being wrecked, never to be seen again. I think without international help and funding the project will never get off the ground and if it ever is revived, it will need to be independently controlled to stop it from becoming a cash cow to some of the members of the local higher racy. I was swimming to 3 rocks with some of my family and got caught up in a fishing net which was just below the surface. This could have been very dangerous if I was on my own or one of my kids had gone alone. Maybe if they end up drowning a few tourists that something will be done about it. Too late then, the damage will already have been done to the fragile tourist industry.