Carnaval 2013 in La Vega

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Which day do they have the biggest Carnaval-Party in La Vega next year ? Last sunday in february will be the 24.2., the independence day ist the wednesday 27.2..

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, l to would strongly advise you and whoever is with you to be EXTREMELY careful for pickpockets. Last year there a buddy who is a very careful retired Federal Special Agent while sober had his wallet stolen from a front thigh velcro pocket.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yes I will confirm there are indeed professional pick-pockets that train for this crowd.
It is a complete zoo, avoid this crowd in La Vega, not worth it unless you can sit on someone's front yard, people will rent you a chair and sell you beer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Agreed. Sweet Alida caught an older gal trying to pick her pocket. Confrontation ensued with the gal's "partner," a guy, came to defend her "honor."

Forthwith I came to Alida's aid and the two thieves, after looking up at my large, rather angry presence, skulked away with their tail between their legs.

Of course neither could explain Alida's lipstick at the feet of the gal...:cheeky:

Just be careful. Take ONLY what you need there. No purse, a strong zippered fanny pack for wimminzes. Guys, leave you wallet at home. Minimum money and ID in a deep FRONT pocket.

Leave well before dark. And the drunker you get, the stoopiter you get and the bigger target you become.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks for the warnings. I'll be wearing only my 10 year old jeans with nothing in pockets (like a few years ago in the opening gonga of the carnaval in Santiago de Cuba).
But back to the topic: is the graziest party on sunday or on the independence day ?

Noballs

May 27, 2012
What they said, I had to fight off a thief too, but I have to add the last Sunday they take their masks off and carry them like a helmet.

Buy a slash proof Pacsafe fannie pack or under the belt wallet, the fannie pack locks to your body and is standard procedure if your going to Carnivals and Ferias and such.

One more thing buy one of those stadium pads for your ass them fix it through your belt and let it hang over your ass to keep from getting hit in the back of da ass.

Get the hell out of there before dark as posted before.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Wow.. people.. if you are on DR1 and going to the carnaval do not let these people scare you.. just pay for a damn vip and chill out.. I've gone to carnaval for the last 10 years in a row and never had any issues.. If you try to stand on the street you are risking pickpockets and getting your ass knocked out with a vejiga.. have fun and see you there! I recommend lite lounge vip btw :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Wow.. people.. if you are on DR1 and going to the carnaval do not let these people scare you.. just pay for a damn vip and chill out.. I've gone to carnaval for the last 10 years in a row and never had any issues.. If you try to stand on the street you are risking pickpockets and getting your ass knocked out with a vejiga.. have fun and see you there! I recommend lite lounge vip btw :)
Who's scared?

It is what it is!

I've gone every year since '04! And 3 times a year since '08!

I, for one, know exactly what I'm talking about!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Wow.. people.. if you are on DR1 and going to the carnaval do not let these people scare you.. :)
btw., back then in the carnaval of Santiago de Cuba, many santiagueros told me I'm grazy if I join in the gonga. But for me it was the funniest part of the whole carnaval-week. Ok, there were (disappointed) fingers in my pockets all the time.

Maxwell Gold

Jan 5, 2013
Just curious but the OP's question wasn't really answered...is the last Sunday better than the actual Independence Day celebration on the 27th? I will be in DR from 2/23 thru 3/2 and want to know where to party!! Also if anyone knows of a good honest driver with a car or SUV big enough for 5? I am staying in a 2 bedroom suite in Puerto Plata and can offer a bedroom plus $$ for the right person! I will need a pick up from Santo Domingo Airport to the resort. Thanx guys!

dominican1banger

Jan 6, 2013
Just curious but the OP's question wasn't really answered...is the last Sunday better than the actual Independence Day celebration on the 27th? I will be in DR from 2/23 thru 3/2 and want to know where to party!! Also if anyone knows of a good honest driver with a car or SUV big enough for 5? I am staying in a 2 bedroom suite in Puerto Plata and can offer a bedroom plus $$ for the right person! I will need a pick up from Santo Domingo Airport to the resort. Thanx guys!

deffinately the 3rd and 4th sunday of Feb. > independence day

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
deffinately the 3rd and 4th sunday of Feb. > independence day

So, does this mean the party on 3rd and 4th sunday is better than on ind.day ?
(I just want clear answers without taino hierog., cause I'm booking my flights according to the Carnival-dates.)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Last Sunday in La Vega is Night and Day better than the Independence Day Parade in Santo Domingo...the parade is actually boring...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Any idea how much VIP at Carnaval is per person?

We bought Presidente VIP tickets a few years ago for RD100, and there was a real bad stampede to get in/out of this "VIP" area. This was worse than a mosh pit. Unless you are on someone's private yard, Carnaval La Vega is to be avoided.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We bought Presidente VIP tickets a few years ago for RD100, and there was a real bad stampede to get in/out of this "VIP" area. This was worse than a mosh pit. Unless you are on someone's private yard, Carnaval La Vega is to be avoided.
I disagree. It's an awesome experience just walking around. Not for everybody, for sure, just stay off the street if possible if you're just watching it. The street is chaos.