Education

RandyDepp

Oct 22, 2012
Hello. I'm a junior in high school and might move to the dominican republic next summer to finish my senior year over there. I wanted to know if i'll be able to come back to the states and go to college.. I also wanted to know what good private high schools are in santiago.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Hi there Randy and welcome to the board. Plenty of people here can give you a difinitive answer but I would wonder if your senior year in DR would be compatible to what is required to complete senior year in states. Hang around buddy, others will know the answer.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
check out Online High School and Middle School | The Keystone School

that's probably the best bet to finish your senior year in DR with an accredited school...
forget a DR school. but do it online, and when not studying you can immerse yourself in the culture

i know kids enrolled in this school. seems like a reasonable education alternative if you have the discipline to study on your own

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Hello. I'm a junior in high school and might move to the dominican republic next summer to finish my senior year over there. I wanted to know if i'll be able to come back to the states and go to college.. I also wanted to know what good private high schools are in santiago.

In the case of the Carol Morgan School (I think it is the oldest and best known US-style school in the DR) the answer is a definite yes...They are in SD:
Carol Morgan School: HS Welcome

There may very well be others... I am no expert on this subject.

There are also graduates of standard Dominican HS who go on to College in the US...However, I suspect they are at a disadvantage in the competition to gain admission to the top US colleges (and they should).

It would have been much better for you to do this your junior year, and then get a HS degree from the states...but obviously it's too late for that.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Well if you are looking for the best private schools in Santiago then i would recommend you to The Grange School, The International Preparatory School, Nido de Aquilas International School or Santiago College. These are well reputed and hope this will help you. Do let me know what you think. Best of luck

Just a few days ago, you were "new" in these here parts.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He's trying hard, seems to have Googled 'Santiago', and found a nice list of schools in the Chilean capital.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
One takes the SAT to get into college, not the TOEFL. The TOEFL is for speakers of english as a second language.
Yes, your senior year here would be validated in the states. It's a myth that only certain schools are "accepted" or "certified" in the states. I know kids from the campo who have never gone to school and when they get to nueva yol get into the system just fine.
The question is, do you really want to miss senior year with the kids you've studied with all these years? Or try to break into a group of kids who have been together for a long time? YOu might feel isolated - senior year is a big deal.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You MUST contact "HillBilly", aka., "HB" on this site!!!!!
He has taught at at the #1 Univ. in the DR in Santiago since "Columbus" dropped him ashore.
He KNOWS, everything YOU need to know!!!
Cris Colon

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One takes the SAT to get into college, not the TOEFL. The TOEFL is for speakers of english as a second language.
Yes, your senior year here would be validated in the states. It's a myth that only certain schools are "accepted" or "certified" in the states. I know kids from the campo who have never gone to school and when they get to nueva yol get into the system just fine.
The question is, do you really want to miss senior year with the kids you've studied with all these years? Or try to break into a group of kids who have been together for a long time? YOu might feel isolated - senior year is a big deal.

kids from the campo might get into the system just fine. the problem is that the system does not get into them. my lifelong friend teaches in a school in Washington Heights, and i have invited her, many times, to visit the DR. her response is that she has seen all she needs to see of DR kids, and she would never visit where they came from. they are waaaaay behind kids from the rest of the region, academically. i am no expert on the psychology of failing students, but her assessment is that they are unrelievedly disruptive, and appear to have no interest in a life of academic struggle. the teen pregnancy rate in the school is alarming, and anarchy prevails. it is sad that they probably suffer from the effects of having gotten a start in the DR , where education is an entity reserved for a small group of well to do people, and the rest of high school graduates have no idea where Puerto Rico is, on a map of the world.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You MUST contact "HillBilly", aka., "HB" on this site!!!!!
He has taught at at the #1 Univ. in the DR in Santiago since "Columbus" dropped him ashore.
He KNOWS, everything YOU need to know!!!
Cris Colon

only problem, CC, is that the number 1 university in the DR ranks something like number 5000, in the world.

Dec 26, 2011
it is sad that they probably suffer from the effects of having gotten a start in the DR , where education is an entity reserved for a small group of well to do people, and the rest of high school graduates have no idea where Puerto Rico is, on a map of the world.

In my couple of decades of personal experience with Dominicans that are the children of farmers, I've noticed that the terms educarse and estudiar are immediately associated with getting ahead financially, having a career, making money. The concept of learning simply for the sake of personal development or to quench one's curiosity about the world in which we live is incomprehensible. Reading for the sake of reading, for pleasure? "Me da pereza".

It's not hopeless. But it's an uphill battle.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I know a Dominican man in Houston who claims his mother graduated from the "world-recognized Pont?fica Universidad Aut?noma Madre y Maestra de Santo Domingo", and because of that, she had taught at Columbia.

Then I asked him which was the best g?irero in the U.S.A.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
In my couple of decades of personal experience with Dominicans that are the children of farmers, I've noticed that the terms educarse and estudiar are immediately associated with getting ahead financially, having a career, making money. The concept of learning simply for the sake of personal development or to quench one's curiosity about the world in which we live is incomprehensible. Reading for the sake of reading, for pleasure? "Me da pereza".

It's not hopeless. But it's an uphill battle.

I just had this conversation with one of my cousins here in Hig?ey this morning. But it's pointless: it's all about making the big bucks and buying the yipet?n, since, you know, "andar a pi? pas? de moda", even if just a few blocks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know a Dominican man in Houston who claims his mother graduated from the "world-recognized Pont?fica Universidad Aut?noma Madre y Maestra de Santo Domingo", and because of that, she had taught at Columbia.

Then I asked him which was the best g?irero in the U.S.A.

ah, yes, PUCMM...number 5300 in the world. so much for recognition.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

My parents would have cried if I had decided to major in Women Studies for example :). When you come from a poor country, you go to school to get ahead. And, to tell you the truth, I agree to a certain extent...personal development and quenching one curiosity is a luxury only for the ones who can afford it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The problem was that the guy combined the name of two schools in the D.R.: UASD and PUCMM. I didn't correct him.

it is just as well you did not bother to attempt to. people who make those statements are usually members in good standing of the sabelotodo club. you know, the guys who know everything about everything. it is a flourishing fraternity in the DR.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
My father still regrets that I didn't become a Civil Engineer: "Y t? sabes los cualtos que te sobran despu?s que terminas un proyecto?!"