Trujillo's Grandson Seeks To Set Record Straight About El Jefe

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Translated to English............

Nestor Medrano
Santo Domingo

The grandson of the dictator Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, Dominguez Ramfis Trujillo, revealed yesterday that his foundation is conducting a forensic investigation to determine where the real estate and the fortune left by his grandfather went after his assassination.

He accused the Council of State of distributing and sharing the property left by the former dictator.

"The work we are doing is against the interests of very wealthy families and we are in the process of doing a forensic investigation of all the properties that belonged to Trujillo and see precisely where these assets currently are.

Speaking to reporters at the restaurant Vizcaya, where together with family and friends last night, celebrated the 121 anniversary of the birth of the man who ruled the country with an iron fist for over 30 years in the Dominican Republic and said that history has been distorted, and they only talked about gloomy things and not the work of government and development that his grandfather bequeathed to Dominicans.

For fifty years we have sought to relegate the story about the Trujillo government, quite simply a black legend, a darkness that was not just meant for him. Once we have achieved this recognition, "people need to know of great deeds, and that it was the most fruitful period for the Dominican Republic throughout its republican history."

The celebration was attended by Lisette Gancedo, Alice Grace Guerrero and Luis Ruiz Trujillo, who, notorious for the presence of young people shouted "Long live the Chief!" "Long live Trujillo!" Dominguez is the son of Angelita Trujillo Trujillo and Jose Luis Dominguez Tavarez .

He said that democracy, has left more deaths than during the Trujillo era. And that is proof that it is there, in the sight of all. From 2000 to 2009 there were 18.623 deaths ", citing statistics.

B in Santiago

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
This stupid idiot has been saying the same things for years, just trying to gain political benefit from his lastname. Who cares who stole Trujillo's assets? Trujillo stole them in the first place...

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
...history has been distorted, and they only talked about gloomy things and not the work of government and development that his grandfather bequeathed to Dominicans.

For fifty years we have sought to relegate the story about the Trujillo government, quite simply a black legend, a darkness that was not just meant for him. Once we have achieved this recognition, "people need to know of great deeds, and that it was the most fruitful period for the Dominican Republic throughout its republican history."
Don't know much about the merits of their claim on assets, however, I do believe they have a point.

Most of us have heard "ad nauseum" about all the bad things done during the "era de Trujillo"...and of course there were many bad things...mostly against people who opposed the regime, and paid dearly for it (as was common in similar tyrannical regimes at the time).

Yes, we know and agree that there were MANY bad things. We don't need anyone to repeat them for us.

But that does NOT mean that there weren't any good thing.

Even if the bad ones outweighed the good ones, history should be as accurate as humanly possible. That means telling it how it was.

The bad AND the good.

ALL.

We can learn both from the bad ones (not to repeat them), but also from the good ones (to try to achieve them WITHOUT the bad ones).

We simply need to know the COMPLETE TRUTH. Not just one side of it.

Last edited:

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Who cares who stole Trujillo's assets? Trujillo stole them in the first place...

Sorry, not so simple.

If Trujillo did steal them (as you say), the assets should go back to their rightful original owners, NOT to just anyone. And if the rightful owners cannot be identified or found, then the assets should go back to "the people" (the state).

If there are private individuals in possession of those assets, and these individuals were NOT the original owners (if any), then they should NOT have those assets...

...whether the assets should go back to the Trujillo family is of course another story.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Sorry, not so simple.

If Trujillo did steal them (as you say), the assets should go back to their rightful original owners, NOT to just anyone. And if the rightful owners cannot be identified or found, then the assets should go back to "the people" (the state).

If there are private individuals in possession of those assets, and these individuals were NOT the original owners (if any), then they should NOT have those assets...

...whether the assets should go back to the Trujillo family is of course another story.

Those original owners maybe were not too legit either. Otherwise they should be the ones bringing up the subject, not this shameless idiot...
Too bad honor cannot be returned to their original owners too, all those men and women humilliated by Trujillo.
Too bad the trust in justice and the political system cannot be returned to the people of this beautiful country, who are still somehow afraid of all the "chivos" that roam the streets.

When all those things were lost, when this country still suffers terribly from many vices brought by that regimen, is it money issues we should be worried about setting straight?

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Those original owners maybe were not too legit either. Otherwise they should be the ones bringing up the subject, ..., when this country still suffers terribly from many vices brought by that regimen, is it money issues we should be worried about setting straight?
Read the complete post...they are talking about two different things: (1) the assets, and (2) the record (good things done, not just bad).

Like I said, if there are Trujillo assets in the hands of private parties who were NOT their original owners (if any) then the assets should either go back to the original owners (if any) or to the state...or to the Trujillos if in fact they were legitimate assets...not to particulars.

Setting the record straight (knowing the COMPLETE TRUTH, the bad AND the good) can be done, in parallel to the assets thing...No need to choose only one of the 2.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I wasn't choosing only one. I was just stating that if you can't repair the really important things, those who affected the people as a whole and still do even today, it makes no sense to try to repair those things that only affected a few rich families 100 years ago, and who are not even complaining about it...I know this wish of mine might have no legal base, but it's still the fair thing to do on behalf of the people.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
It might be important to illustrate that people who lived through his regime speak fondly of Trujillo.

Although the government dictated or ruled with an iron fist, its citizens respected one another.

At least that is what I keep hearing.

Although we know the pitfalls of a dictatorship, knowing what the country is going through at the moment, a dictatorship looks very appealing.

I would prefer a person ransacking the country than thousands doing it.

I would prefer to be ultimately accountable to one system or a form of government. Today, we are manipulated by the government and harassed by its citizens.

Besides, our so Democratic government isn't so. It does what Trujillo did and beyond.

Balaguer continued with Trujillo's agenda, with a Democratic form of government.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Although the government dictated or ruled with an iron fist, its citizens respected one another.

Balaguer continued with Trujillo's agenda, with a Democratic form of government.

It is half true. The same thing is said in every latin american country, no matter if the president was elected or a dictator. It seems people were more polite and respectful in the past. It has nothing to do with the government...

Balaguer hardly had a democratic form of of government. Repeated election frauds, summarily killing political adversaries, turning the armed forces against the dominican people is hardly being democratic...

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
It is half true. The same thing is said in every latin american country, no matter if the president was elected or a dictator. It seems people were more polite and respectful in the past. It has nothing to do with the government... Balaguer hardly had a democratic form of of government. ...
You sound as an extremely embittered person...one of those people who unfortunately had a family member who was a regime opponent and paid dearly for it, and now are completely INCAPABLE of having an objective rational discussion on anything related to the Trujillo era.

If so, I am sincerely sorry about your personal loss.

However, we still have an interest and an obligation in knowing the COMPLETE TRUTH about that important (for good and bad reasons) period of the history of the DR.

We need the TOTAL TRUTH, which includes knowing all the bad but also the good things that happened in that period...there were many of either.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Gosh...I'm not dominican and have no dominican ancestors...so..

I don't know why it's bitter to say that people were more polite and respectful in every country back then...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With all due respect their is a ton of information out there about Trujillo. Just go into any bookstore and you will find a plethora of books. When I see Dominicans discussing this topic I think it's from a more nostalgic viewpoint more than anything and like all memories of times past they get better with age.

May 12, 2005
The most complete and unbiased book about Trujillo is 'Trujillo: The Life and Times of a Caribbean Dictator' by Robert Crassweller. I have become very interested in the Era of Trujillo and I read every book I can about it. Search the forums for posts by Golo on the topic. Very informative.

May 12, 2005
Another good read is 'Trujillo: Death of a Dictator' by Bernard Diederich. It explains the beginnings of and the story of the plot to remove Trujillo and what motivated it.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
People still remember what Trujillo did, both good and bad. Some say they wish he was still alive and ruling the country, but I doubt they'd said that if they had loved ones who were incarcerated or murdered during the regime.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This stupid idiot has been saying the same things for years, just trying to gain political benefit from his lastname. Who cares who stole Trujillo's assets? Trujillo stole them in the first place...

If only Obama and Bush thought the same way then maybe some of the trillion dollars paid to wall street would have gone back to the people who lost their portfolio wealth and homes... I guess its not just dictators that do this, its just the first world puts a prettier skirt on it!