DR Ladders

IMF Brooklyn II

Feb 16, 2004
Santiago
I worked in construction in the states and was I subject to safety training requirements and OSHA rules. So I'm familiar with the use of ladders. I have noticed when Dominicans use an extension ladder they almost universally use it with the upper sliding section on the inside toward the surface where the ladder rest. This is completely opposite the way I was trained to use an extension ladder in the USA.
I am talking about all the people working for Claro, EDE's, Tricom, all cable companies and any subcontractor working for these big companies. I'm not claiming to know it all so could anyone tell me why this inconsistancy in ladder usage exists in the DR. It is completely opposite the way an extension ladder is normally used.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Perhaps you could give ladder lessons to the telco's.
I am sure they would be receptive.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I worked in construction in the states and was I subject to safety training requirements and OSHA rules. So I'm familiar with the use of ladders. I have noticed when Dominicans use an extension ladder they almost universally use it with the upper sliding section on the inside toward the surface where the ladder rest. This is completely opposite the way I was trained to use an extension ladder in the USA.
I am talking about all the people working for Claro, EDE's, Tricom, all cable companies and any subcontractor working for these big companies. I'm not claiming to know it all so could anyone tell me why this inconsistancy in ladder usage exists in the DR. It is completely opposite the way an extension ladder is normally used.

I bet there's a reason they do it that way, I personally have no idea but I'll ask my friend who works for edenorte next time I see him.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
it's lack of training, lack of following training, lack of understanding of risk of injury, and lack of attention to detail.
if you think there's a logical reason for using the ladder this way - think again.
most guys climbing around on ladders don't have the highest level of education, nor do they have first world 'do it the right way' drilled into them from kindergarten on.

you'll see the ladders held extended with a bandana tied around two rungs.
or scaffolding 3 stories high made out of bamboo lashed together

i had warehouses with racks reaching 25 feet to the ceiling.
i had forklifts with lift cages.
i had rolling stairs for accessing the high shelves.
seldom would i walk through the warehouse and not find people climbing around the racks like monkeys looking for things in spite of training to use safe methods.

at this point, i don't even find such things odd any more... perhaps i'm a little more dominicanized now

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Today for the 1st time I actually saw a cable tech using an extension ladder the correct way. Maybe the trend will spread.:laugh:

I think NOT. I couldn't help but laugh and think of your post when I saw this today.

10mr88p.jpg

For those of you not having much knowledge of construction fatalities and injuries it is the small things like this that cause bodily harm. Notice the placement of the hooks on the top rung of the ladder. Obvioulsy top management has no clue on the correct use of an extension ladder. Hey, Google or YouTube could solve this problem.

I won't bother to mention two workers on ONE ladder............

dropshort

May 18, 2008
The correct way to use an extension ladder IS with rope on the top, the side nearest the operator.

I learned that from a professional 50 years ago.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Because of this OP, I noticed one guy using one right and later on this afternoon I notice a company out by Villa Gonzales with at least six ladders the WRONG way... May I should have stopped???

Oh well, at least I learned something!

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The correct way to use an extension ladder IS with rope on the top, the side nearest the operator.

I learned that from a professional 50 years ago.

dropshort... you can't assume 1) that a ladder in DR has a rope & 2) the rope is run through the ladder correctly

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow, who knew that be the issue? :) i have seen people here climbing few ladders held together by a string, ladders perched on the back of cars, on walls, surrounding fences, piles of cement blocks. virtually anything possible that would get you fired back home.

but now i will remember your note of correct use. i did say that this board was like being at school. there is always something to learn here...

Feb 7, 2007
A friend of mine (Dominican) was doing lots o work for me over the years using extension ladder, and thinking of it, I have never seen him using it the wrong way.

Come on, just looking on the picture above, you "feel" that something's "not right". When you imagine extension ladder and HOW you extend it, it's logical to have the extended (upper) portion facing towards you ... I mean, it just seems logical. Why some Dominicans would use it on reverse, is beyond me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
logical and obvious are nothing comparing to laziness. miesposo often points to me i am wearing my t-shirt inside out. i respond: so what? :) i am too lazy to take it off and flip on the other side. i put it the way it was when i took it from the wardrobe. it's clean? then it's good to go :) and it's only for walking the dogs...

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
logical and obvious are nothing comparing to laziness. miesposo often points to me i am wearing my t-shirt inside out. i respond: so what? :) ...

Maybe he just enjoys watching you to take off your shirt?