Mas un Gringo

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Holla everyone.

I`m from Portugal and right now I have some doubts:confused:, for 2/3 years that I'm thinking of living on the island, visited and lived in some areas,i stayed a few weeks in Boca Chica,, in, La Romana and of course in Punta Cana and Bavaro, however, I am thinking of spending a few months in the peninsula of Samana and and if I like , maybe even change my life from Portugal.My questions are in relation to what to do on the island,I have some money, and I have already read some posts here on this forum,that there are many people living from the interest of banks,some others buy apartments next to the beach and then rent , but I have 35 years, I'm still to young to sit in the sun:smoke: and live off the income,I liked to have some business related to tourism, I speak Spanish, English, French and of course Portuguese , we'll see what the future holds, and I'd like some opinions, about Samana and the chances of investment in this area.
Sorry about the huge introduction

Jo?o Carrilho

P.S Sorry about my written English, I understand and speak perfectly but write is more difficult

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Your English is better than what I've seen from some of the Americans and Brits on this board, don't apologize. :)

SHALENA

P.S. I don't know anything about any of those areas, sorry!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Welcome! I'm sure there are some members who will be able to provide you with the advice
you are seeking in reference to the areas in question.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
I`m from Portugal ...My questions are in relation to what to do on the island,I have some money...I liked to have some business related to tourism, I speak Spanish, English, French and of course Portuguese , we'll see what the future holds, and I'd like some opinions, about Samana and the chances of investment in this area.
Hi, Joao: First, if you are Portuguese you are NOT a gringo! Neither Spaniards nor Brazilians are, so no reason for a Portuguese to be.... --> UN GRINGO MENOS!
Most people who have a good business idea probaby won't give it to you...they'll save for themselves!
In my experience, the number of Portugueses who visit the DR is still very small, even considering that the population of Portugal is relatively small...there may be a niche right there for somebody with connections with both countries to try to exploit, by targetting that community...And some of that might be extended to Brazilians, if nothing else for language reasons. Of course it is always a good idea to keep a significant portion of your accumulated wealth invested in some low-risk assets, such as real estate and/or strong currency CD's...but you already knew that. Good luck!

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Hi, Joao: First, if you are Portuguese you are NOT a gringo! Neither Spaniards nor Brazilians are, so no reason for a Portuguese to be.... the number of Portugueses who visit the DR is still very small, even considering that the population of Portugal is relatively small...

GRINGO is defined in the official Spanish Larousse as "estranjero".

It's etiology is ancient, from foreigners on the Iberian Med coast who came speaking gibberish.
The were referred to as GRIEGOS. Thus "greeegos" or GRINGOS with corruption of time, moorish, etc.
The BS stories of Yankee derivatives are Latino yankee-centricism of the last 150 years.

There is a portuguese "colony" in Luper?n.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Obrigado.

Welcome.

Don't worry about your written English...it is fine and much better than some on this board...

One word of advice: S L O W

Go slow with what every you are thinking about.
Go really slow about spending money or investing

Remember the very wise adage (saying) about how to get a million dollars in the Dominican Republic? ( Come here with three million or so!!!

In Saman? you need to compete with a large French position, but it is certainly one of the most beautiful spots on God's green earth...Good luck to you.

If I was a businessman, (I am NOT), I would think something to do with ecology/tourism or sailing on the bay might be interesting.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do..

Welcome again.

HB

Dec 26, 2011
Dominicaus, in the OP's language, gringo simply means foreigner. In Spanish it refers especially to North Americans and/or those of Anglo-Saxon ancestry. But this relative, as it can be used in Argentina to refer to an Italian.

And yes, pelaut's got the etymology right. Anyone speaking unintelligibly, gibberish, as in "it's all Greek to me".

But your quickness to reassure him that he is not and your delight in declaring "UN GRINGO MENOS!" is revealing.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I have lived in Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula for part of the year for a few years now. What makes Las Terrenas unique is that there is a large European population here. There are about 3000 French, 1200 Italians, 300 Germans and Swiss and of course some Americans and Canadians, along with Dominicans and Haitians. Many of the local businesses are owned by French expats. With your language skills you would have no problem becoming part of the community. I would suggest you come here for a minimum of 2-4 weeks and check out the area. From Europe you can fly into El-Catey/Samana Airport (AZS). It is about 30 minutes from Las Terrenas. There are always investment opportunities but it is a tricky economy here. Las Terrenas is busy from the middle of December through April. The rest of the year is spotty. You really need to be here for a period of time to get a feel for the DR. If you decide to move here you would have to apply for residency, which involves an attorney and probably about $1500usd in cost to you. You would need this to be able to work and have a business here. If you would like any other info send me a private message. I can send you photos of the area.

LTS

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Dominicaus, in the OP's language, gringo simply means foreigner. In Spanish it refers especially to North Americans and/or those of Anglo-Saxon ancestry. But this relative, as it can be used in Argentina to refer to an Italian.

And yes, pelaut's got the etymology right. Anyone speaking unintelligibly, gibberish, as in "it's all Greek to me".

But your quickness to reassure him that he is not and your delight in declaring "UN GRINGO MENOS!" is revealing.

Don't you just love Dominicaus. To the OP Samana is a very good choice compared to the other spots in DR. It is really no different to your typical"beach town" A person is very limited on business adventures in this sort of places. You have your sovenier shops, hotels, centro de llamadas, ice cream shops, etc Maybe it is something Lisbon that the rest of the world does not know about and you maybe can use it to start up a business. Good Luck!!!

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
GRINGO is defined in the official Spanish Larousse as "estranjero".
I can play this game also...
Gringo is defined in the 'official' RALE dictionary as:
adj. Am. Mer., Cuba, El Salv., Hond. y Nic. estadounidense. Apl. a pers., u. t. c. s.
So, according to the RALE, in middle Americas it means a person from USA.
Whom to believe?

In fact, all I meant in my previous post is that in the DR a Portugues is not normally thought of as a "gringo"...not if they know is a Portugues...As I said, neither Spaniards nor Brazilians are, so no reason why a Portugues would be...

Generally, people from the Latin-European or Latin-American countries are not considered "gringos" (if identified as such)... Latin-European countries are those whose languages are direct descendants of Latin (Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc).

If you want to start a discussion on the meaning of this word, please, start a thread in the Spanish forum called Gringo: what it means (or something like that)...I only mentioned it in my reply, because he titled his thread one more gringo...Never imagined it would be a matter of controversy.

Dec 26, 2011
I can play this game also...
Gringo is defined in the 'official' RALE dictionary as:
adj. Am. Mer., Cuba, El Salv., Hond. y Nic. estadounidense. Apl. a pers., u. t. c. s.
So, according to the RALE, in middle Americas it means a person from USA.
Whom to believe?

In fact, all I meant in my previous post is that in the DR a Portugues is not normally thought of as a "gringo"...not if they know is a Portugues...As I said, neither Spaniards nor Brazilians are, so no reason why a Portugues would be...

Generally, people from the Latin-European or Latin-American countries are not considered "gringos" (if identified as such)... Latin-European countries are those whose languages are direct descendants of Latin (Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc).

If you want to start a discussion on the meaning of this word, please, start a thread in the Spanish forum called Gringo: what it means (or something like that)...I only mentioned it in my reply, because he titled his thread one more gringo...Never imagined it would be a matter of controversy.

The OP's first language is Portuguese. The OP, no one else, identified himself as "gringo". In his tongue, the term means foreigner, with no distinction as to provenance. Make sense? Your understanding of the word is irrelevant to his usage of it.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
The OP's first language is Portuguese. The OP, no one else, identified himself as "gringo". In his tongue, the term means foreigner, with no distinction as to provenance. Make sense? Your understanding of the word is irrelevant to his usage of it.
So, you know Portuguese, or looked it up in some Portuguese dictionary? Which?
He did not say that he was using the term as used in Portugal (if it in fact is even known/used there). It is perfectly reasonable that he was using it as HE THOUGHT was used in the DR.

In any case, knowing how the term is commonly used in the DR may be potentially useful to him, it seems to me (especially if he in fact settles in the DR).

If this hurts any sensibility I am sorry...Not in my wildest dream would I have imagined so.

Dec 26, 2011
So, you know Portuguese, or looked it up in some Portuguese dictionary? Which?
He did not say that he was using the term as used in Portugal (if it in fact is even known/used there). It is perfectly reasonable that he was using it as HE THOUGHT was used in the DR.

In any case, knowing how the term is commonly used in the DR may be potentially useful to him, it seems to me (especially if he in fact settles in the DR).

If this hurts any sensibility I am sorry...Not in my wildest dream would I have imagined so.

terco y acomplejado

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
First of all thanks to everyone for the answers.

I just used the word gringo, because even in Brazil when they knew I was Portuguese they called me gringo (no big deal to me),therefore no need to discuss about it.
LT,I will soon need your advices, thanks in advance for your help.
I know that the Brazilian tourism is rising in the DR, and this is a niche market that I hope to work because the Portuguese tourism is in crisis at this time, and is too small. My idea is to work whith tourism, ( scuba diving, tours in the national parK, whale watch, deep-sea fishing, and tours in catamaran), Samana is the new destination in Portugal, Brasil,Spain and Germany and I believe that is a place for me in the tourism industry in Samana.
Right now i'm waiting to resolve some issues, personal and professional, to be able to spend some time on the island, I have to sell a house that I have (an investment house, not my private one)need to close my business and sell the office, and my cars, but with the crisis in Europe is not easy,I'm waiting for longer than I wanted to solve my issues.

Obrigado/thanks
JT