On my bike from Resort to Plaza Bavaro area

mycount4

Oct 26, 2012
So I will have my bike (road bike) with me on the trip.

Is it possible to bike safely (considering both road condition and traffic) from Laguna Bavaro (Natura Park) to Plaza Bavaro?

The distance 20 - 25K is not very far however, some of the photos present questionable conditions...

Thanks

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
So I will have my bike (road bike) with me on the trip.

Is it possible to bike safely (considering both road condition and traffic) from Laguna Bavaro (Natura Park) to Plaza Bavaro?

The distance 20 - 25K is not very far however, some of the photos present questionable conditions...
The area where Natura Park is is called Cabeza de Toro ("bull's head"...the costline seems to have that shape).
Can you bike on the sand? If yes, I'd definitely do it along the beach...much safer from all POV....And it is only about NINE kms... (check it with a map that has a scale), or about a 2-hr walk. From the beach you'd exit through/near the Occidental Flamenco (where Mangu disco is), and Plaza Bavaro would be right there. Between Cabeza de Toro and the next big resort north (Barcelo) there is a stretch of about 2 Kms that is undeveloped...the rest is all developed (resort after resort after...).

Going by the road outside would be farther obviously, but I very much doubt the distance would be doubled... Road conditions, pavement-wise are fine...You'd probably take the road that runs parallel to the resorts entrances, where traffic is mostly tamed, as soon as you can.

Not doable on a bike via the beach, too many obstacles in the way, coral patches, just a couple of hundred meters past the Natura resort, I tried a couple of years ago to walk it.
Sand is also to soft for a bicycles tires, you would get bogged down.

Best to spend some money and take a taxi.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Not doable on a bike via the beach, too many obstacles in the way, coral patches, just a couple of hundred meters past the Natura resort, I tried a couple of years ago to walk it.
Sand is also to soft for a bicycles tires, you would get bogged down.

Best to spend some money and take a taxi.
You are probably right...I suspect he wants to do it more for the adventure than to save money, which would not be much...In that case, a 2hr-walk along the beach might still be enjoyable, especially if done with company...If he does a lot of shopping, then he may come back in a taxi.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
A hybrid bike works better on the island. The road bike is susceptible to many pot holes rocks ect .Drivers give the bicycle little right of way, so if you need to jump on the shoulder or on a path you will be better served with a little more tire than a road bike.

mycount4

Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for the input... the road bike is my only option since I will be racing.

In addition I wanted to ride from the Natura Park to the PuntaCana Beach Resort south of the airport where we will be racing from. I take it the advice is the same with regard to the roads.

Thanks again.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That direction is slightly better but be very, very careful on the road leading out of your hotel to the highway. It's full of curves, the road is not all that wide, people tend to drive pretty fast, so not exactly and ideal road to ride on. The highway isn't a problem, plenty of cyclists ride on it but keep in mind that cars will have little respect for you.

Thanks for the input... the road bike is my only option since I will be racing.

In addition I wanted to ride from the Natura Park to the PuntaCana Beach Resort south of the airport where we will be racing from. I take it the advice is the same with regard to the roads.

Thanks again.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I was a motorcop for 36 years in Canada and I would not ride a motorbike in that area let alone a bicycle the drivers are skilled but man they are crazy. Stop signs mean slow a little honk and keep going. They will pass anything slow moving on a curve or a hill and if they need back in the lane it's you who will be laid out on the road. i love watching the guys on skateboards hitching rides on the backs of cars and trucks just amazes me the way they all seem to look out for each other but every now and then boom it all goes to hell real quick and you dont want to be on a bicycle when that happens.