Advice about cash vs. credit

btttm1

Oct 30, 2012
We will be spending a week in Las Terrenas and Las Galeras. Will many of the restaurants or shops in either place take credit cards? I'd like to use the ATMs for cash as few times as possible due to the fees on each transaction.

Also, what things might I be able to pay for with US dollars while there?

Thanks!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It is really not a good idea to use credit cards in this country unless an absolute necessity, fraud is rampant.

Bring cash (USD) and use the ATM, period. Change USD into RD Pesos as needed, you will not get a favourable exchange rate at a store/restaurant for USD. Taxis will take USD from the airport.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
A lot of restaurants/bars/shops will charge you an outrageous fee for using a CC. Use cash.

BelgianK

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
It is really not a good idea to use credit cards in this country unless an absolute necessity, fraud is rampant.Bring cash (USD) and use the ATM, period. Change USD into RD Pesos as needed, you will not get a favourable exchange rate at a store/restaurant for USD. Taxis will take USD from the airport.
Groundless speculation....and VERY BAD advice.
Provide any reliable source indicating that credit card fraud is any more prevalent in the DR than it is elsewhere...NO, "anecdotal evidence" by anonymous sources does not count.

Telling people to go around carrying cash because of possible credit card fraud ignores the obvious: Losing cash (theft, pickpocket, wallet loss, etc., etc.) is a lot more likely than losing money through credit card issues...and you can always dispute a credit card charge and MAY recover...but with cash, once gone is gone...and it is untraceable.

I have used CC in the DR for years and have yet to have any problem... I may some day, of course, just as in any place on earth...the system is very reliable, but not perfect...not anywhere.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Groundless speculation....and VERY BAD advice.
Provide any reliable source indicating that credit card fraud is any more prevalent in the DR than it is elsewhere...NO, "anecdotal evidence" by anonymous sources does not count.

Telling people to go around carrying cash because of possible credit card fraud ignores the obvious: Losing cash (theft, pickpocket, wallet loss, etc., etc.) is a lot more likely than losing money through credit card issues...and you can always dispute a credit card charge and MAY recover...but with cash, once gone is gone...and it is untraceable.

I have used CC in the DR for years and have yet to have any problem... I may some day, of course, just as in any place on earth...the system is very reliable, but not perfect...not anywhere.

so you do not mind paying a 21% surcharge? You must be rich... and not care...

BelgianK

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
so you do not mind paying a 21% surcharge?
Is that surcharge always accessed...automatically everywhere? I usually use the debit card, and don't recall paying any surcharge. In any case, if the alternative to the surcharge (if it indeed applies) is to carry large sums of cash, I will almost certainly prefer the surcharge.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
but with cash, once gone is gone...and it is untraceable.

Sort of like your disappearance from the internet will be quite soon if you keep up this unsubstantiated jibberish.

There are dozens of documented fraud cases of cards used in the DR. Just search on this website.
I never suggested the OP carry large amounts of cash, that is what a safe is for/or an ATM.

Have you ever even been in the DR? The jury is still out on this.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
There are dozens of documented fraud cases of cards used in the DR. Just search on this website.
I never suggested the OP carry large amounts of cash, that is what a safe is for/or an ATM.

READ:

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006

So, the best you can do is an anonymous post from 2008 (with text that may or may not have originated from the US Embassy)?

And that does NOT answer anything:

What part of:
"Provide any reliable source indicating that credit card fraud is any more prevalent in the DR than it is elsewhere...NO, "anecdotal evidence" by anonymous sources does not count."
are you most struggling with?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
So, the best you can do is an anonymous post from 2008 (with text that may or may not have originated from the US Embassy)?

And that does NOT answer anything:

What part of:
"Provide any reliable source indicating that credit card fraud is any more prevalent in the DR than it is elsewhere...NO, "anecdotal evidence" by anonymous sources does not count."
are you most struggling with?

Why don't you lick my balls?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Do not bring a lot of cash with you. Use the ATMs in LT. If you are there for a week your bank charges will be $20-25 max. Compared to the cost of your vacation that is insignificant. Many restaurants, bars and tour operators do not take credit cards. Those that do will add up to 15% on your bill. Pay with Pesos where possible. Lindo Supermarket will take credit cards and I don't believe they add on additional charges. You will need $10usd per person when you enter the country(tourist card). You can use dollars or pesos but everything is priced in Dominican Pesos.

LTSteve

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Tambo, you are definitely one in a Billion.............lol
What a way with words.........lololol.......

B in Santiago LMAO

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tambo, you are definitely one in a Billion.............lol
What a way with words.........lololol.......

B in Santiago LMAO

Do you find me funny Barry?

[video=youtube;S8eAklm1SJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eAklm1SJs&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fhl% 3Den%26rlz%3D1C1_____enUS496US496%26q%3Dgoodfellow s%26bpcl%3D36601534%26ion%3D1%26bav%3Don.2%2Cor.r_ gc.r_pw.r_qf.%26biw%3D1413%26bih%3D921%26um%3D1%26 ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dw1%26authuser%3D0&has_verified=1[/video]

saman@

Oct 30, 2012
I live in the area and in Las Terrenas you can use credit cards but in Las Galeras just use cash. There are many ATMs in Las Terrenas and a couple in Las Galeras to take out cash and the surcharges aren't high. I would just use cash for most things and maybe put a nice dinner and/or the hotel on my credit card.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I maintain a free CapitalOne bank account because they do not charge international fees when I use their debit card at a Las Terrenas ATM --

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
$$$

Is that surcharge always accessed...automatically everywhere? I usually use the debit card, and don't recall paying any surcharge. In any case, if the alternative to the surcharge (if it indeed applies) is to carry large sums of cash, I will almost certainly prefer the surcharge.

Your answer indicates that you are not well versed in the use of credit cards.

I would stick to Tambo's advice especially for the short duration of a one week stay.
One could also use travellers cheques but would incur a 15 min. wait for the transaction at a bank, no wait at a money exchange. TC's are free with some credit cards.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Class statement ! Now everyone knows what gender you prefer!

Are you jealous Paulie Boy?
Why are you stalking me, first Hell's Angels, now here ... you obviously have gender issues, try the ignore function, it works wonders.

No need to respond to any of my posts unless I address you.