Up, up and away to the USA: Ex DNCD Ops Chief Extradited

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Good luck in the US buddy. You are going to need it.

Yes, specially if the starts talking about his gringo counterparts, who were probably the ones who asked for him to be taken somewhere near to keep an eye on him...

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Nooooooooo. Impossible, i thought only small banana republics like DR have a "drug problem".

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Nooooooooo. Impossible, i thought only small banana republics like DR have a "drug problem".

:p:p

According to World Health Organization:

"Americans were four times more likely to report using cocaine in their lifetime than the next closest country, New Zealand (16% vs. 4%),

Marijuana use was more widely reported worldwide, and the U.S. also had the highest rate of use at 42.4% compared with 41.9% of New Zealanders.
In contrast, in the Netherlands, which has more liberal drug policies than the U.S., only 1.9% of people reported cocaine use and 19.8% reported marijuana use.
"Globally, drug use is not distributed evenly and is not simply related to drug policy, since countries with stringent user-level illegal drug policies did not have lower levels of use than countries with liberal ones," researcher Louisa Degenhardt of the University of New South Wales, Australia, and colleagues write in PLoS Medicine."

U.S. Leads The World In Illegal Drug Use - CBS News

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Frank, i agree. What i hope for is that we establish a smooth sailing platform a la Colombia.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
If the implicit argument is that the "War on Drugs" is failure, then we agree.

War on Drugs, silly in and of itself. Whom has even fought a war, while doing drugs, but whatever.

"Americans were four times more likely to report using cocaine in their lifetime than the next closest country, New Zealand (16% vs. 4%),

Marijuana use was more widely reported worldwide, and the U.S. also had the highest rate of use at 42.4% compared with 41.9% of New Zealanders.
In contrast, in the Netherlands, which has more liberal drug policies than the U.S., only 1.9% of people reported cocaine use and 19.8% reported marijuana use.
"Globally, drug use is not distributed evenly and is not simply related to drug policy, since countries with stringent user-level illegal drug policies did not have lower levels of use than countries with liberal ones," researcher Louisa Degenhardt of the University of New South Wales, Australia, and colleagues write in PLoS Medicine."

U.S. Leads The World In Illegal Drug Use - CBS News

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well my argument was instead that taking a guy to stand trial for drugs in the so obviously least successful and least efficient country in fighting drugs is a big paradox.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

In 2006 Spain overtook the United States in having the highest per capita number of cocaine users in the world.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Look at the "Bright Side", one less Dominican "Drug Lord" to worry about in the DR!
A couple million more and the DR's drug business will be just a memory.
There are three kinds of "Statistics", Lies, lies, and "DAMN LIES"!!!!!
Americans just like to admit we are drug users, most countries are ashamed, and decline to "Man, and/or Woman Up"!!!!!
Including,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Look at the "Bright Side", one less Dominican "Drug Lord" to worry about in the DR!
A couple million more and the DR's drug business will be just a memory.
There are three kinds of "Statistics", Lies, lies, and "DAMN LIES"!!!!!
Americans just like to admit we are drug users, most countries are ashamed, and decline to "Man, and/or Woman Up"!!!!!
Including,CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Don't think so, even though I don't applaud the Dutch drugs policy, the average Dutchman is not ashamed to acknowledge drugs use at all, so it seems that liberal policy had effect (doesn't make it right though).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't think so, even though I don't applaud the Dutch drugs policy, the average Dutchman is not ashamed to acknowledge drugs use at all, so it seems that liberal policy had effect (doesn't make it right though).

The problem is prohibition. It does not work. Case in point is a high ranking official of the DR being extradited to the US because of prohibition. The guy was making a huge amount of money because the drugs were illegal. The "right" thing is to realize that the war on drugs has been a huge mistake and take a different approach.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The problem is prohibition. It does not work. Case in point is a high ranking official of the DR being extradited to the US because of prohibition. The guy was making a huge amount of money because the drugs were illegal. The "right" thing is to realize that the war on drugs has been a huge mistake and take a different approach.

I agree 100%. But I would add that the real problem lies buried into the roots of society. It's not poverty, it's not too much free time, it's not lack of education on the subject, it's not the bad guys making money out ot it. I believe drugs exist because some people use them as a escape, a break from their life, a way to cope with this nonsense we have come to call society. So, what is wrong with our societies that so many people need to escape to their inner worlds? It's a tough question, and one just too many people find inconvenient.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree 100%. But I would add that the real problem lies buried into the roots of society. It's not poverty, it's not too much free time, it's not lack of education on the subject, it's not the bad guys making money out ot it. I believe drugs exist because some people use them as a escape, a break from their life, a way to cope with this nonsense we have come to call society. So, what is wrong with our societies that so many people need to escape to their inner worlds? It's a tough question, and one just too many people find inconvenient.

A very good point. And one that makes the perfect case that drug use should be treated as a medical condition and not a crime.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
A very good point. And one that makes the perfect case that drug use should be treated as a medical condition and not a crime.

:confused:

Are you implying that people are predisposed to drug use; the same as being proned to diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol? Interesting, it is true that one does learn something new everyday.

Drug addiction is treated as a disease, which is the direct result of drug use.

Drug use on the other hand, is a choice one makes; out of weakness, trying to conform or fit in, or trying to be who one is not. The list could go on and on.

"No es mi culpa" society forced me to become a drug user! I also have problems accepting this statement.

Are non drug users better people than the ones who do? No necessarily.

Drug users fall into one or many of the categories I mentioned above. Also, the moral fiber of society has degraded so much that people aren't ashamed to behave inappropriately or do things once deemed to be wrong.

We could blame society all day long, but we have to be mindful that people must be held accountable for their actions and people are the ones that shape the same society of whichthey form part.

Should drug use be legalized? That is another topic! :chinese:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
:confused:

Are you implying that people are predisposed to drug use; the same as being proned to diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol? Interesting, it is true that one does learn something new everyday.

Think of it more like this. Alcoholics are people who have a drinking problem. That is a medical condition just like an addiction to nicotine or other subsances is a medical problem. Such problems should be treated as medical issues and not crimes.

Drug addiction is treated as a disease, which is the direct result of drug use.

Drug use on the other hand, is a choice one makes; out of weakness, trying to conform or fit in, or trying to be who one is not. The list could go on and on.

Who should make the decision on what other people can and cannot do? Education is one way to reduce the problem. There will always be people who want to "escape" by using some substance.

"No es mi culpa" society forced me to become a drug user! I also have problems accepting this statement.

I also have a problem with that regarding a persons original choice , but addiction is still a medical issue and not a criminal issue.

Are non drug users better people than the ones who do? No necessarily.

Drug users fall into one or many of the categories I mentioned above. Also, the moral fiber of society has degraded so much that people aren't ashamed to behave inappropriately or do things once deemed to be wrong.

If people do things to harm others, then there are laws that are already in place.

We could blame society all day long, but we have to be mindful that people must be held accountable for their actions and people are the ones that shape the same society of whichthey form part.

Right now society sees drug use that is a huge business from the supply, distribution, court and prison system. I contend that is the wrong approach.

Should drug use be legalized? That is another topic! :chinese:

Indeed it is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I hope the USA WILL decriminalize "DRUGS"!
I will be "strung out" on Heroin within the week!
I'll move back just to snort some "Horse" 2 or 3 times a day, depending the price, which should be in "Free Fall"!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCSEE,SEE