Avoid fakes on making cedula/residency!

diveddy

Nov 3, 2012
In case you have to issue the temporary or permanent residency of Dominican Republic, you should address in one of the numerous firms helping with data acquisition of documents.There is some "great" - "Holt & Abreu Immigration Services", and its "professional and serious lawyers with high moral values" Maria Abreu and Ilonka Holt with whom we, unfortunately, had to deal.In the beginning there was nothing bad - (submission of documents and collecting the first two payments) they carried out the first two stages accurately. The most interesting began after that... In spite of the fact that documents were ready (as they spoke), neither first nor second "serious and professional lawyer with high moral values" couldn't make an appointment within several months. Our regular emails, calls and SMS didn't help. They told us only: "We do everything we can do... you know, how everything happens in Dominican Republic...We do our best and constantly supervise the situation..."But nothing happened... Then they didn't answer at all.I hope everybody who is reading this message will agree with us that if I am client who paid money for service, I have a full authority to know exactly that occurs to my money. We found other proper lawyer who has contacted to Immigration office. We found out that after receiving the second payment "Holt & Abreuit" did nothing. And, if we didn't show an initiative, if we continued to listen and trust this "professional and serious lawyers with high moral values" all our documents would lose validity period and we would have to start all from the beginning. However, as well as for "Holt & Abreu Immigration Services", with one only a difference - they won't lose anything. Just will find the next trustful client who will believe their statements that they are "professional and serious lawyers with high moral values".As we wouldn't like to lose our money, documents and time, we by means of other, much more adequate lawyer, contacted Immigration office, learned that no obstacles for completion of process of receiving the residence are present, arrived to office and received, at last, our documents.You can spend your money and time any way you like because it is YOUR money and your time...We advise you only one - AVOID FAKES!

Eduard Ushakov
Sosua

miozio

May 23, 2009
In case you have to issue the temporary or permanent residency of Dominican Republic, you should address in one of the numerous firms helping with data acquisition of documents.There is some "great" - "Holt & Abreu Immigration Services", and its "professional and serious lawyers with high moral values" Maria Abreu and Ilonka Holt with whom we, unfortunately, had to deal.In the beginning there was nothing bad - (submission of documents and collecting the first two payments) they carried out the first two stages accurately. The most interesting began after that... In spite of the fact that documents were ready (as they spoke), neither first nor second "serious and professional lawyer with high moral values" couldn't make an appointment within several months. Our regular emails, calls and SMS didn't help. They told us only: "We do everything we can do... you know, how everything happens in Dominican Republic...We do our best and constantly supervise the situation..."But nothing happened... Then they didn't answer at all.I hope everybody who is reading this message will agree with us that if I am client who paid money for service, I have a full authority to know exactly that occurs to my money. We found other proper lawyer who has contacted to Immigration office. We found out that after receiving the second payment "Holt & Abreuit" did nothing. And, if we didn't show an initiative, if we continued to listen and trust this "professional and serious lawyers with high moral values" all our documents would lose validity period and we would have to start all from the beginning. However, as well as for "Holt & Abreu Immigration Services", with one only a difference - they won't lose anything. Just will find the next trustful client who will believe their statements that they are "professional and serious lawyers with high moral values".As we wouldn't like to lose our money, documents and time, we by means of other, much more adequate lawyer, contacted Immigration office, learned that no obstacles for completion of process of receiving the residence are present, arrived to office and received, at last, our documents.You can spend your money and time any way you like because it is YOUR money and your time...We advise you only one - AVOID FAKES!

Eduard Ushakov
Sosua

With the new regulation there will be so many fake lawyers and fake posts on this forum! I just hate this... Folks, simply avoid both and deal with this on your own.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
American lawyer

With the new regulation there will be so many fake lawyers and fake posts on this forum! I just hate this... Folks, simply avoid both and deal with this on your own.

Wilson Rood
American lawyer
Has lived here most of his life.
I have never had better counsel in this country. He and his firm are HONEST.

diveddy

Nov 3, 2012
The most interesting that the this case isn't finished. Despite the fact that as this company ran our case, she dares to intimidate still us and to threaten with court. Here the letter which they sent us just. In my opinion, comments are excessive... But if you have any - go ahead!

Please be advised that in response to your allegations that our firm has been involved in misrepresentation of clients where the residency process is concerned, we have submitted this case to a top law firm in Santo Domingo specializing in negligence proceedings. We are bringing legal action against you for defamation of character and slander. Also be advised that we are removing ourselves from serving as your guarantor which will automatically rescind your residency status with the possibility of deportation if you do not provide a substitute guarantor. Desist from further contact with our office as we have retained legal representation. All communications must be submitted to Silver Abogados & Asociados, their contact information will be included in the legal papers served by their office.

Respectfully submitted,
Maria Abreu
Holt & Abreu Immigration Services

Last edited:

diveddy

Nov 3, 2012
Show must go on! (It's almost like a live-show...)

On last Friday we send to "professional and serious lawyers with high moral values" last letter with opinion about their work.
Here is this letter...
Hello two very professional and serious lawyers with high moral values! Now we know exactly how professional and serious you are...Wait for detailed response about you "great" service. You will be informed within short time.

Without regards,
Eddy & Lana

Just now we get great reply from them... Get to know! :)
No, I believe it is you that will soon receive a response to the vicious and unjustified attacks made against our firm. Perhaps you should have versed yourself in how the legal system works in this country. You see according the penal code, any PUBLIC allegations made against a person/entity MUST be followed by facts not by your perception of matters. The fact that your residency card and cedulas were ready is proof that the services promised by our firm were provided. You should know that if it is established that you publicly slandered us with no foundation, among the possible sentences that may be emitted by a court is prison time. Our attorneys will be in touch soon.

Maria Abreu & Ilonka Holt
Holt & Abreu Immigration Services

Feb 7, 2007
This is their website: Dominican Residency
Their fees are very reasonable.

I would like the OP to elaborate on this:

When you contacted Migracion by the second lawyer, had Migracion have your paperwork already filed, or not?

This is a million dollar question, because if it indeed WAS filed by your first attorneys, there is nothing they could have done to speed the process up, there were accounts of people writing up to 9 months after filing to get their residency card. So, again, WHEN your SECOND lawyer contacted Migracion in SD, WERE your DOCUMENTS FILED (e.g. was there a case number?) and HAVE YOU HAD YOUR MEDICAL DONE ALREADY, or not?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Now you know why I require posters that callout businesses and services out to post their contact details.
This saves us the hassle of dealing with court orders etc.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

Eduard Ushakov
Sosua

I commend you for coming out and telling the truth about your experience, don't worry about their empty threats of legal action. You have only spoken the facts about your experience and have given little or no bias based on your "perspective" of the case. It would be totally different if you were to call them incompetent idiots who did nothing for you but instead you provided a detailed and factual account of the events. Don't allow them to bully you into submission, speak the facts and you have nothing to worry about. The court system in the DR is getting sick and tired of makeshift law firms taking advantage of their clients and we will begin to see action taken against them. In Maria's reply, she basically told you she is going to try to make your life hell and have no plans on refunding you for work not provided.. Maria, shame on you!

diveddy

Nov 3, 2012
This is their website: Dominican Residency
Their fees are very reasonable.

I would like the OP to elaborate on this:

When you contacted Migracion by the second lawyer, had Migracion have your paperwork already filed, or not?

This is a million dollar question, because if it indeed WAS filed by your first attorneys, there is nothing they could have done to speed the process up, there were accounts of people writing up to 9 months after filing to get their residency card. So, again, WHEN your SECOND lawyer contacted Migracion in SD, WERE your DOCUMENTS FILED (e.g. was there a case number?) and HAVE YOU HAD YOUR MEDICAL DONE ALREADY, or not?

BELOW IS DETAILED HISTORY
I put my documents and passed medical exams in the beginning of September 2011. My card was ready (as they informed) on May 2012. They made appointment on June 21-th. But at 5:30 a.m. of 21-th when I almost was ready to go to Santo Domingo I've got sms from Maria that Migration cancelled appointment.Migration cancelled at 5:30.... )))That was crazy!!! But I've already rented the car, put gasoline....(altogether $150). Courteous Maria promised to refund this money.And then she disappeared....She answered a few times but every time was the same: "everything depends on Migration. Migration can't make an appointment for you yet." It lasted a few months... All my friends who put documents even after me, have got their cards that time.Time passed, and I got to be afraid that 6 months soon pass and my case in Ministry will be annulated. I would have to collect all my documents again and pay money again.That's why I addressed to another lawyer, who checked my status and found out that even some of fees weren't paid (not only last fees when you get your cards). We paid remaining fees and directly made an appointment without any complications.I guess Maria didn't want to refund money for car and gasoline. We weren't interesting for her anymore and $150 is more attractive than reputation....

diveddy

Nov 3, 2012
I commend you for coming out and telling the truth about your experience, don't worry about their empty threats of legal action. You have only spoken the facts about your experience and have given little or no bias based on your "perspective" of the case. It would be totally different if you were to call them incompetent idiots who did nothing for you but instead you provided a detailed and factual account of the events. Don't allow them to bully you into submission, speak the facts and you have nothing to worry about. The court system in the DR is getting sick and tired of makeshift law firms taking advantage of their clients and we will begin to see action taken against them. In Maria's reply, she basically told you she is going to try to make your life hell and have no plans on refunding you for work not provided.. Maria, shame on you!

Thank you, very much for your words. We know that everything they try to do against us work against themselves....

Feb 7, 2007
Thank you for the additional information. Do you still have the text message you received saying that the appointment was cancelled? Do you have copy of emails you tried to send out to them to contact them about the status of your case? Logs of the phone calls? That will all help you IF and WHEN they try to sue you. YOU SHOULD BECOME PARANOID NOW and start to COLLECT ALL EVIDENCE you can gather against this law firm, including any and all call logs received/made, emails, letters, etc. Do you have the receipts of the ADDITIONAL FEES paid to Migracion by your second lawyer? That will be additional evidence in your support to prove they (the first lawyers) did not pay the fees on time. Again, get all the documentation you can get, however miniscule or irrelevant you may think it could be.

diveddy

Nov 3, 2012
Thank you for the additional information. Do you still have the text message you received saying that the appointment was cancelled? Do you have copy of emails you tried to send out to them to contact them about the status of your case? Logs of the phone calls? That will all help you IF and WHEN they try to sue you. YOU SHOULD BECOME PARANOID NOW and start to COLLECT ALL EVIDENCE you can gather against this law firm, including any and all call logs received/made, emails, letters, etc. Do you have the receipts of the ADDITIONAL FEES paid to Migracion by your second lawyer? That will be additional evidence in your support to prove they (the first lawyers) did not pay the fees on time. Again, get all the documentation you can get, however miniscule or irrelevant you may think it could be.

Sure we have all evidences, therefore we are telling this story to people. We have all sms, we have all emails, we have all receipts.That's why we are calm and don't become paranoid.And the general thing - we are honest and they know about it.

Feb 7, 2007
I MEANT PARANOID as looking over your shoulder and taking care of yourself, until this case is resolved. Better be safe than sorry.