Arriving in Punta Cana-question about bus to higuey-santo domingo

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Hi, i have a question. I'm arriving late afternoon (like 5pm) in Punta Cana and need to go to Santo Domingo.

I will be too late too catch the Bavaro express (last one leaves at 4.pm), what is my best option to get there.

Take a public bus to Higuey and from there another bus to santo domingo? Are there busses leaving from Punta Cana to Higuey and onwards to Santo Domingo?

Or would my best option be stay 1 night in Punta Cana/bavaro (can onyone recommend an good budget location in Bavaro) and catch the Bavaro Express the next day?

Thank you for the information in Advance

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
At that time it is still possible to get to SD via Higuey in guaguas, but it may be a bit tight if your flight arrives at 5 and you take a while to get through immigration and baggage collection, or if your flight is late. If you go to a budget hotel in B?varo you'll have to take a couple of taxis. It might be simpler and not much more expensive to stay at the new Four Points in Punta Cana if their "free airport shuttle" service includes airport pickup, then you'll only have to pay for one taxi to Expreso B?varo in the morning.

Four Points Punta Cana Hotels: Four Points by Sheraton Puntacana Village - Hotel Rooms at fourpoints

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
At that time it is still possible to get to SD via Higuey in guaguas, but it may be a bit tight if your flight arrives at 5 and you take a while to get through immigration and baggage collection, or if your flight is late. If you go to a budget hotel in B?varo you'll have to take a couple of taxis. It might be simpler and not much more expensive to stay at the new Four Points in Punta Cana if their "free airport shuttle" service includes airport pickup, then you'll only have to pay for one taxi to Expreso B?varo in the morning.

Four Points Punta Cana Hotels: Four Points by Sheraton Puntacana Village - Hotel Rooms at fourpoints

I agree. Make sure you negotiate the rate with the taxi driver before leaving for the bus station. It's only a 5-7 minute drive from Four Points.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
Thanks for the input, but what are my options if i go straight to santo domingo. is there an bus from puj airport to higuey and then onwards to santo domingo?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, you can catch a minibus/guagua (Sitrabapu) from the stop on the main road outside the airport. Make sure it goes all the way to Higuey, otherwise get off at Cruce de Ver?n Bomba Shell (petrol station) and take another guagua that goes to Higuey (about 40 mins).
From Higuey, ask for the Santo Domingo bus - it's right next to the Sitrabapu terminal. The risk is that they stop running at about 8:00pm. It's a 3-hour journey. Bear in mind also that you will be arriving in Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo late at night, and it is not the safest of areas. There will be taxis waiting but you have to keep your wits about you. If you have luggage and valuables and are obviously a tourist it is not really advisable so the 4-Points hotel + Expreso B?varo in the morning is the less hair-raising option.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Thanks for the input, but what are my options if i go straight to santo domingo. is there an bus from puj airport to higuey and then onwards to santo domingo?
You could explore the possibility of a transfer with a reputable provider... If they have SHARED transfers (a minibus with people going to various hotels in the same area) their rates are usually quite decent compared to a taxi...They normally do PUJ to Boca Chica, which is in the outskirts of SD, and I suppose they'd enter SD if so arranged... One I happen to know is https://www.mydominicantransfers.com

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
I have the same trip to do in 2 weeks time: PUJ Airport to Santo Domingo:

Does the Expreso Bavaro - Santo Domingo stop in Cruce de Veron or at PUJ Airport, or can you only take it at the terminal in Bavaro? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2011
-or-

Rent a car and drive to SD. You can get there in about two hours on the new highway. There's still piece that's unfinished that requires you to take a detour through San Pedro but it's not a bad trip, all in all.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hi, i have a question. I'm arriving late afternoon (like 5pm) in Punta Cana and need to go to Santo Domingo.

I will be too late too catch the Bavaro express (last one leaves at 4.pm), what is my best option to get there.

Take a public bus to Higuey and from there another bus to santo domingo? Are there busses leaving from Punta Cana to Higuey and onwards to Santo Domingo?

Or would my best option be stay 1 night in Punta Cana/bavaro (can onyone recommend an good budget location in Bavaro) and catch the Bavaro Express the next day?

Thank you for the information in Advance

Sunday, Monday and Wednesday Air Century has shuttle flights from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo (Arryo Hondo Airport) I believe right now they have one way specials for 60-65usd
Melissa Castro: (829) 259‐5014 ‐ Ernesto Martinez: (829) 259‐5047
E‐mail: bookings@aircentury.com
Off: 809.826.4333 ‐ Fax: 809.826.4038 ‐ From The U.S.: 305.677.9641