1st trip to Santo Domingo

Chris Dogan

Nov 6, 2012
www.twitter.com
So i decided to spend christmas, my birthday, and new years all in DR. i dont speak spanish, Im traveling alone, and It's my first time in country. any advice, tips, and/or anything else you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ummmm, learn numbers and basic Spanish phrases, and do not bring any jewelery or expensive phones & bring many condoms!

Reactions: Riva_31
Dec 26, 2011
Learn ten Spanish words a day, each and every day before your visit. This will radically enhance your experience. Smell amazing at all times. If you're a big tipper at home, dial it back a little. Good luck.

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
you are bad tamborista.. but is the thruth

i lought whey i saw your quote but is the truth.. ?? lol
Ummmm, learn numbers and basic Spanish phrases, and do not bring any jewelery or expensive phones & bring many condoms!

Nov 18, 2012
Lot to do and see there. La Isabella Catolica, bunch of local bars near the colonial zone that are mainly local, been years and don't remember the names of them but use some caution at night and its always better if you have a buddy, Diego Columbus's home, Club Guacara Taina haven't been there for several years but is in a cave and had loud, electronic/techno music last time I went there. Botanical Gardens. Plenty of beaches: I have only been to Costambar and Sosua beaches on north coast and Boca Chica chica which is close to Santo Domingo. If you venture outside of Santo Domingo there are Caribe and Metro Buses and won't recommend for you to use gua guas and publicos with limited spanish and first time there . Of course what tamborista mentioned as well if you are a young man partying, lol.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'm assuming that when you say its your 1st trip to SD you mean its your 1st trip to the DR. So, with that, follow Tams advise. Although, the disparity between haves and havenots is vast, understand that you are visiting some one else's country, and that respect is due to everyone. Please, no more ugly American/gringo behavior, or one trying to save the poor natives. Dominicans are a proud people in spite of third world conditions. You are going to have a wonderful adventure, and I would bet it won't be your last!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Santo Domingo is not for everyone but they do have a few restaurants and Historical places to see and my favorite is the KFC building.

david_

Dec 8, 2012
So i decided to spend christmas, my birthday, and new years all in DR. i dont speak spanish, Im traveling alone, and It's my first time in country. any advice, tips, and/or anything else you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Chris,

Awesome!!! What you are about to do is exactly what I did several years ago. Got on a plane, arrived in a country I had never visited (DR), alone, didn't speak the language, didn't know anyone there. I like your adventerous spirit. Since then I've made several more trips to the DR because I loved it. My advice; keep an open mind, keep your wits about you (stay sober and alert), be polite and smile, trust your instincts. Like others have already said, try to learn a few basic phrases, (I want, I need, where is, can I, can you, etc.),you can pick those up really fast and take a small dictionary you can carry with you. Enjoy the food, the people, and the history of SDO. I recommend Zona Colonial for sure, they have guided tours if you like that type of thing. Again, like others have already said, change your money outside the airport at a bank or cambio. Someone recommended not to exchange money with strangers on the street, they're right. I didn't know this when I came and did just that. Nothing bad happened, but it could have, I just didn't know any better. The DR is just like any other place in the world, there is good and bad, but if you're travelling with good intentions and use common sense, chances are you will have a great time.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I first went alone and without any Spanish back in 2005.. expecting nothing spectaccular.. just a stopover on the flight....what I got was a wonderful adventure and now have been going back many times a year for close to 7 years now..I have had some ups and downs but learned each time. the advice above is good to know... but you will probably make some of the errors...... we all do ...but you will learn from them, and I would bet my bottom dollar that you will be back. It gets under your skin, into your blood, The smiles, the constant action, the music, the friendliness, ( especially if you get the opportunity to get out of the capital and get to the countryside at all( the campo)..it s poor in many many parts and your heart will go out to people, but just dont go overboard and give away the store..it s hard to turn away the kids, so bring some candy or cheap bracelets from the dollar store .. dont give money if you can help it.. it rarely will go to them.. Buy them a jugo or something if you can...and if you see someone you believe needs help buy a sandwich or something for them . It will be appreciated. Just steer away from giving cash. You ll have a lovely time, but just be a litttle cautious as you would anywhere...there will always be those that will see you as a wallet and nothing else.... talk to hotel staff, go to a colmado, see if you cant try to pick up some of the lingo... they will be friendly to you.. the music will drag you in, and generally the owner of the colmado will keep an eye out for you ( at least that s what I have found) .. be careful if you go to Boca Chica..that is where the Europeans go to pick up women and the Dominicans know it, so there will be people looking to fleece you there....beware....but you will have a great time in the DR and you will be back... happy travels/... part of me wishes I were again discovering it for the first time....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
i arrive in country monday. i have a question.. when should i do the money exchange? at the airport or should i wait?
Don't bring cash, use an ATM when you need money. If you have a BofA account it doesn't cost you a penny using the Scotiabank ATMs.

Dec 26, 2011
Don't bring cash, use an ATM when you need money. If you have a BofA account it doesn't cost you a penny using the Scotiabank ATMs.

This is decent advice. Just one problem: more and more people are having problems with cash machines not dispensing cash, yet still recording the withdrawal.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a couple of ideas from the Old Man:
Be nice.
Follow the advice that has been offered.
Try and get out of Santo Domingo for a day or two--say Juan Dolio/Guayacanes, NOT Boca Chica...or go the other way, to Palenque in San Cristobal...There must be some excursions. If there is one to the Cave of Marvels (Cueva de las Maravillas) do take it, it's worth it.

It will be an adventure. So you should remember that there are a lot of people on this board that can help you. Be sure you have the emergency number of the US Embassy..

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you are really nice, some DR1er might invite you for a "Cervesa"!
I KNOW you learned that word,RIGHT???
If not, don't come!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
When you arrive in airport you will need to buy a $10.00 tourist card, fill out the customs forms and proceed to customs. If anyone asks you for money in the airport tell them you don’t speak Spanish and you paid for your tourist card already. It’s the holidays and some people will try to separate you from your cash. Taxis are right outside the airport. I don’t know how it cost to ride into the Capital these days. Remember everything from the time you leave the airport. Since you going to be in the Capital for a week. See if the hotel offers sightseeing tours. A tour of Capital is great for a first timer. Stay away from Dominicans that speak really good English in the tourist areas they can really be annoying. The first time I traveled to the Capital by myself it was difficult finding a good place to eat. I ate in the hotel and asked the hotel staff for recommendations.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This is decent advice. Just one problem: more and more people are having problems with cash machines not dispensing cash, yet still recording the withdrawal.
Let me add another warning myself. I withdrew money from the new scotiabank ATM in Sambil, made four withdrawals and was charged four times 5 dollars + 4 times a 1 percent fee, total about USD25 dollars. Called BofA and they told me it shouldnt be like that.

I suspect the ATM of Scotiabank in Sambil is not yet connected to the correct network and therefore not included (yet) in the Global Alliance of BofA.

Anyway, DON'T withdraw money from the ATM inside the Scotiabank in Sambil on a BofA account.

I withdrew money the same day at Scotiabank in Luperon and was charged nothing.

Dec 26, 2011
Let me add another warning myself. I withdrew money from the new scotiabank ATM in Sambil, made four withdrawals and was charged four times 5 dollars + 4 times a 1 percent fee, total about USD25 dollars. Called BofA and they told me it shouldnt be like that.

I suspect the ATM of Scotiabank in Sambil is not yet connected to the correct network and therefore not included (yet) in the Global Alliance of BofA.

Anyway, DON'T withdraw money from the ATM inside the Scotiabank in Sambil on a BofA account.

I withdrew money the same day at Scotiabank in Luperon and was charged nothing.

I've never had a problem at a casa de cambio, in over twenty years.