Arriving in Sosua this weekend !

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
I'll be arriving in Sosua this weekend and am wondering if anyone has any advice on getting a cheap cell phone for use while I'm there. Just want to use it for keeping in touch with home(Canada) and for the odd local call. I was told that it is cheap to buy a phone and just buy minutes as you need them through Claro or Orange. Has anyone else done this ? Any info as to cost or what might be a better option would be appreciated! I am not bringing a laptop or a cell phone with me.:D

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I'll be arriving in Sosua this weekend and am wondering if anyone has any advice on getting a cheap cell phone for use while I'm there. Just want to use it for keeping in touch with home(Canada) and for the odd local call. I was told that it is cheap to buy a phone and just buy minutes as you need them through Claro or Orange. Has anyone else done this ? Any info as to cost or what might be a better option would be appreciated! I am not bringing a laptop or a cell phone with me.:D

Go to orange next to banco popular

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
I'd recomend Orange also. Had problems sending SMS to other countries with Claro :-\

There is an Orange office also inside the bigger Playero supermarket on the main road.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I use Claro and text to the US&Canada all the time

Either are good.

I buy minutes online at EZTop.com

Both carriers have cheap phones.... it's the expensive ones that are hard to find :alien:

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
hi, good for you i will be in DR next month for the holidays, i know a great taxi driver if you need his services.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Have fun in Sosua. You can buy used phones from the Dominican little phone shops also. I just got a new sim card at Orange for 50 pesos with a 60 peso credit .... less than cheap LOL. You can pick your new phone number from a list at the store. You will need a copy of your passport. Make some copies of your passport and never carry it on the street.
Have fun
Carib

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The last two summers I have purchased a phone after I arrived. The cheapest one available was about US$25. Then you buy minutes as you need them. Last summer I was unable to purchase a phone using my passport and needed to use my nephew's cedula number to have the phone registered. It might not be a problem in Sosua.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just go the little phone shop across from the "Big Dig", right hand side of Pedro Clisante heading East, just past Esq Dr. Rosen, he will sell you a gently used phone already activated for RD$400-RD$500 with a few pesos credit on it.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
I second the above.I have never managed to get a human on an orange phone on the north coast

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
arriving in So-Sewer ? my thoughts and prayers are with you. schedule a full exam when you get back home :rolleyes:

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
Thanks.....I have been in Sosua a few times in the last few years and never had a problem with my health !

GrandmaA

Apr 15, 2011
Thanks everyone for your help ....I'm sure I'll work it out with all your tips. I'll probably try the second hand route first....see how that goes!