Best way to travel from Punta cana airport to Samana (Bahia de Samana)

kouliscon

Nov 6, 2012
Hello all

We will be visiting DR in the next 3 weeks and i would like to know any good and fast ways to travel from Punta Cana to Samana.

Till now we thought renting a car and driving. Even for that any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

thx

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The new highways make it less arduous. Drive towards Santo Domingo on the new road. After Las Americas airport you will go through a toll station (no payment required in east-west direction) and after that keep a close look out for signs to Saman?. Take the Saman? highway from there. Driving time will be about 4 hours to Saman? city.

If you choose not to drive you'll need to take the Expreso B?varo bus to Santo Domingo and a Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Saman?.

The alternative route (via Higuey and Hato Mayor or Miches to Sabana de la Mar) is not an option if you're driving - the Sabana de la Mar-Saman? ferry is for foot passengers only. If you take public transport, it's an adventure on local buses and mostly bad roads.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Driving from Punta Cana to Samana is not a difficult drive but it will take some time and since you are not familiar with the roads and driving conditions it will be a little more difficult than you may be used to. Your probably looking at a minimum of 5hrs on the road. Even though it will be a lot more expensive you might want to consider hiring a car and driver. It will be a lot less stressful. Also, remember that gas is around $6usd per gallon and that cost will add up. Where is your return flight from? If you have to return to Punta Cana than you might negotiate a round trip price. If you are staying at a resort in PC than have your hotel help you. I live in Las Terrenas part of the year. If you need any info on the Samana Penninsula send me a private message. Good luck.

LTSteve

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Steve, remember that with the new Coral highway the Punta Cana - Las Americas stretch should only take 2 hours. How long is the drive from Las Americas to Saman? city? I've only done it once and IIRC it was 2 hours, and I read that since then the stretches of road in poor condition before and after S?nchez have been repaved.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Chirimoya:
I can make it from Las Americas to Las Terrenas, in about 2 hrs 10mins. Anyone not familiar with the road conditions and driving patterns will take longer. Also driving into Samana City is going to add a little bit of time. That is why I said about 5 hrs.
With the cost of tolls, gas and the rental car it might be advisable to get a taxi. Many tourists don't realize that the DR is a big island country and things are not close and it is not always easy to get from point A to point B. It has gotten much better but if you are on vacation sometimes it is better to pay for the convenience of letting someone else worry about the driving.

LTSteve

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chirimoya:
I can make it from Las Americas to Las Terrenas, in about 2 hrs 10mins. Anyone not familiar with the road conditions and driving patterns will take longer. Also driving into Samana City is going to add a little bit of time. That is why I said about 5 hrs.
OK, it would also be good if more people who ask these questions would come back after their visit and tell us how it actually went.

With the cost of tolls, gas and the rental car it might be advisable to get a taxi. Many tourists don't realize that the DR is a big island country and things are not close and it is not always easy to get from point A to point B. It has gotten much better but if you are on vacation sometimes it is better to pay for the convenience of letting someone else worry about the driving.

LTSteve
Yes, sometimes people book flights to Punta Cana because on the map it looks like it's near Saman?, when the road connections are anything but.

kouliscon

Nov 6, 2012
Hello All

thank you for your replies.

Thanks for the driving directions to Samana. Actually we are going to Bahia which as i saw at the map is close to Samana.

We will be staying 5 days to Bahia and then return to Punta Cana for another 1 week.

Questions:
1) Can also let me know about approximately costs of renting cars per day

2)anyone know any reliable taxi that would drive us from PC to Bahia and the cost of that?

3) Car with driver and the cost?

As i understood the cheaper and best way to reach to Bahia is by driving and not by public transport or boat... There is no boat from PC to Samana or Bahia?

thx in advance

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hello All

thank you for your replies.

Thanks for the driving directions to Samana. Actually we are going to Bahia which as i saw at the map is close to Samana.

We will be staying 5 days to Bahia and then return to Punta Cana for another 1 week.

Questions:
1) Can also let me know about approximately costs of renting cars per day

2)anyone know any reliable taxi that would drive us from PC to Bahia and the cost of that?

3) Car with driver and the cost?

As i understood the cheaper and best way to reach to Bahia is by driving and not by public transport or boat... There is no boat from PC to Samana or Bahia?

thx in advance

No boats unfortunately. Public transportation is almost always cheaper than renting a car or paying a taxi.

Car Rentals from Budget
Avis Car Rental - Rent A Car with Avis
www.europecar.com

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For a driver in Punta Cana, many members here have recommended Bronly de Jesus. We've used his company IBK Servicios a couple of times for getting to Las Americas airport and back from Punta Cana and have been satisfied with the service and price.

index
ibkservicios@gmail.com
809 299 0582

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You're welcome. Please come back and post an update on your experience; very few people do and it helps us improve our advice and recommendations to future posters.