Applying for Visitor Visa This Week !

paradiis3e

Nov 15, 2012
Here's the story :

My boyfriend (Dominican citizen) and I (Canadian Citizen) met during my first trip to the Dominican with my family in March 2002 when I was in grade 4. He was staying at the resort for a vacation with his father. I was with my brother (grade 6 at the time). Being kids, we played by the pool and bumped into a young Dominican boy of our age. Although his English was broken, he was tons of fun to be around so my brother and I pronounced him as our friend. The 3 of us would play by the pool everyday, and before then end of this vacation, my brother asked him if he had MSN so we could keep contact. Luckily he did, so we exchanged emails. When my brother and I got back to Canada and got on MSN, we already saw an email request from him, so accepted and we'd talk very frequently.

The months passed by and me and him got closer as friends. We would talk very often. His english slowly started improving and I slowly picked up on Spanish. Years passed by and we were both in highschool and were in our own seperate relationships however remained very close friends and updated eachother on everything and were so happy for eachother. 2 years passed and his girlfriend had dumped him and the following year, my relationship ended too. Both devasted, we tried our best to comfort eachother and get through our final year in highschool to get high marks that were required to get into university. Finally, December 2010 came along and my mom said that we should take a vacation to DR. I was so happy and told him, and this is when we decided that since we've been such good friends for 8 years already, and weve experienced serious relationships of our own, why not try one out together?

So this is what we did, and he came down and stayed at the hotel that my family and I stayed at. My family got to know him better, and me and him spent more time together and out relationship grew. We kept calling eachother every day ever since and have kept all the calling cards that weve used. Theres about 300 because we did this for almost a year. Our feelings continued to grow and our love for eachother grew stronger. Finally December 2011, my family decided to take another trip to the DR where my boyfriend came to the resort again and spent time with my family and I.

The happiness in our relationship continued to stay even after I was back in Canada. We kept on talking and in April 2012, I went to the DR for a weekend to spend time with him (such a short period of time because I had to come back to write my University Exams - studying Engineering). Ever since then, the both of us got BBM so we've been keeping contact 24/7 actually, constantly sending eachother pictures of what were doing, voice messages etc.

He is currently doing an apprenticeship in Electrical Engineering and has a job as an Assistant Manager of a Print Company, and I am studying Chemical Engineering in University. We've known eachother for 10 years, been in a serious happy, positive educated relationship for 2 years. Now I want him to come visit me here, and my family wishes the same.

We've got all the paperwork together :
Pictures of my family and I from our first DR Vacation in 2002
-A 9 page letter written by myself on the history of our relationship
-A letter written by him of our relationship
-500 pages on conversation history
-80 pictures of me and him together
-A Letter from his school saying that he must return to the DR to write his final exams
-A Letter from his boss stating his position, salary & that he must return back to work
-Photocopies of the 300 calling cards that we had used during the first year of our relationship
-Gift Receipts
-Letter of Invitation from myself specifically stating the dates of the vacation ( Dec X 2012 - Jan X 2013) and that I want him to be here for my birthday which will be on December 27th 2012.
-Letter of Invitation from my parents stating that they will cover the costs of everything (Travel, Accomodation)
-Copy of their most recent T1 to show sufficient funds

We are going to apply at the embassy at the end of this week. But my boyfriend and I are still very nervous. What do you think are chances are on obtaining a TRV and what do you guys think of our history?

Last edited:

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, I'm a US citizen. I just married a Dominican a few weeks ago as part of the process in a US K Visa. We initially looked at visitors visas but decided not to proceed with one. I can't say I know much about Canadian visitors visas, however you do seem to be organized and have ample data, which is what they are looking for. Think you should do well. Good luck!!!

paradiis3e

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks so much latitude19 ! This may sound weird, but I remember you from before - after my trip in April 2012, I posted here and everyone thought my relationship was a joke and how it was just "sex in the tropics" but you left a more supportive comment. I hadnt used this forum much after this which is why I started up a new account and posted my updated story.

Hopefully we do well. If we still get rejected, my boyfriendd and I are planning on applying again since it only costs $75 for a single entry visit application

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Wow...it is not easy eh? Talk about having to jump through hoops.

Well, I hope it works out for you.

paradiis3e

Nov 15, 2012
Not easy at all. And even harder trying to get all this paperwork done in middle of University Exams! But we will pray and hope that everything works out. I will keep updates. My boyfriend and I are planning on either applying at the end of this week or early next week.

Also, we have a few questions :
We are aware that our relationship doesn't qualify as common-law since although weve been together almost 2 years, we have never had the opportunity to live together. We did not want to put our education on hold for a year. Which is why I've only made short trips there.

So for marital status - can we put Conjugal Relationship? or do we put single? we are both very confused about this. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

paradiis3e

Nov 15, 2012
We are just scared that putting our status down as single will be detrimental to our entire application process since we feel like it downplays our serious relationship. Which is why we were looking to put Conjugal Relationship.

Has anyone successfully applied for a TRV for their boyfriend? What did you put as your marital status ?

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Indicating that you are something you are not is a bad, bad idea. In the end, it can prevent your friend or spouse from entering the country. Never submit false data. The authorities do their homework. What you need is a serious, sensible relationship assisted with good documentation. Let your relationship do the talking. What you should NOT do is base a decision on something you have read on the internet or other random speculation. If you have questions, consult your lawyer. That is what we did.

Regarding repeatedly trying for a tourist visa: ask your lawyer, but it is my opinion that a bunch of failed attempts, even on an unrelated visa, will hinder you on what you will eventually seek in the end- a permanent residence in Canada for your now boyfriend.

It IS good that your boyfriend see Canada, see if he likes the environment. But it is not good if you fail a few visitor visa applications in the process. I'm not saying that you will fail the visa- just so that you're aware that you need to think of the probable overall strategy or goal- that your boyfriend can live permanently in Canada.

It is not a bad idea to get advice here on DR1, but then go and take the next step- talk to a lawyer. Many people say that a lawyer is not necessary in the visa process. It may not be, but I think it adds an element of sophistication and organization that can only help you with your visa. Our lawyer was definitely not perfect, but did help us quite a bit.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Here's the story :
We've got all the paperwork together :
Pictures of my family and I from our first DR Vacation in 2002
-A 9 page letter written by myself on the history of our relationship
-A letter written by him of our relationship
-500 pages on conversation history
-80 pictures of me and him together
-A Letter from his school saying that he must return to the DR to write his final exams
-A Letter from his boss stating his position, salary & that he must return back to work
-Photocopies of the 300 calling cards that we had used during the first year of our relationship
-Gift Receipts
-Letter of Invitation from myself specifically stating the dates of the vacation ( Dec X 2012 - Jan X 2013) and that I want him to be here for my birthday which will be on December 27th 2012.
-Letter of Invitation from my parents stating that they will cover the costs of everything (Travel, Accomodation)
-Copy of their most recent T1 to show sufficient funds

We are going to apply at the embassy at the end of this week. But my boyfriend and I are still very nervous. What do you think are chances are on obtaining a TRV and what do you guys think of our history?

Hi, If your boyfriend is applying for a tourist visa I think that he should focus on showing proof that he has a good job, that his finances are good and that he has enough attachments in the Dominican Republic that will make him come back. The fact that he is studying and needs to come back for his exams is good, and that there's a letter from his boss. Even if you are sponsoring him, there should also be a letter from the bank with a decent amount of money, not too little, not too much!

I see that a lot of the things that you are planning to present, like a 9 page letter about your relationship or the 500 pages of conversation, etc, are things that married couples usually present to prove their love is legit. These things would be more appropriate if you were sponsoring a spouse. You guys are not married so I don't think these types of things could help you out. I personally think these things could harm you. I mean, he already has someone over there that wouldn't mind if he stayed, and you got pages and pages about your love. By the way you write, you can also sense that you are really eager to get the visa, and that is usually not good either.

Of course I'm no visa expert, these are just suggestions, but I am a Dominican citizen and I was able to get a tourist visa to Canada, on my own, with no one sponsoring me.

By the way, why don't you try to get a multiple entry visa. Isn't it only like $125?

Good luck!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
We are just scared that putting our status down as single will be detrimental to our entire application process since we feel like it downplays our serious relationship. Which is why we were looking to put Conjugal Relationship.

Has anyone successfully applied for a TRV for their boyfriend? What did you put as your marital status ?

You guys are single! Don't put Conjugal relationship. why write something you're not?

paradiis3e

Nov 15, 2012
We've talked to our lawyer about this and she too said to put our status down as Single.

Also, we will be sending our papers in most likely Tuesday of Next Week. So I will keep updates on the situation & whether or not my boyfriend receives the Visa.

Thanks for all the advice !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, whatever, i am not going to go and blow the love bubble :)
legally i would make sure to provide as many documents as possible regarding his possessions in DR and other ties with the country; reasons for him to come back. does he have a car? provide the matricula (ownership papers). does he own a house/apartment? provide title. does he have a bank account" bring the statement. does he have any land? titles again. CDs or other financial assets? more papers. you already mentioned letters from work and school.

at this point the only thing that counts is whether he can prove he wants and will come back to DR. it will also speak volumes if he has already held another visa, traveled abroad and came back. don't try to push the love story too much, that's the reason why he would want to STAY in canada.

the important part is not too lie. at all. when you lie something always slips. and once you are caught on one small little tiny lie - it will be over.

paradiis3e

Nov 15, 2012
Okay so my boyfriend finally gave in his documents this morning ! They looked over his application and I guess everything seemed okay to the Visa Officer since instead of chucking his papers out right then and there like they did for some people today, they gave him a little card and on the back - the day and time that he should come to pick up his papers !

Has anyone else gone through a similar process ?!

paradiis3e

Nov 15, 2012
wait ! but we still don't know if his visa will be approved or not.
The embassy just wrote down the day and time that he is required to come back (in one week - Thursday Nov 29)

Hopefully everything will work out
but whatever happens..happens ... I guess there's a reason for everything.
We've already done everything we could up until now though so we'll just hope for the best.

Feb 7, 2007
Generally speaking, when you are given a date and time for docs pickup on a US or Canadian consulate, it's because you will get the visa. Otherwise they return the papers and passport to you immediately.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Okay so my boyfriend finally gave in his documents this morning ! They looked over his application and I guess everything seemed okay to the Visa Officer since instead of chucking his papers out right then and there like they did for some people today, they gave him a little card and on the back - the day and time that he should come to pick up his papers !

Has anyone else gone through a similar process ?!

When I applied, which was before the earthquake, There was no interview, you deposited your Documents here in Santo Domingo and everything was sent to Haiti where the Decision was made. It was only when you got your passport back that you found out if you got the visa or not. I don't know if things have changed and if now, getting a ticket for document pick up means that you'ge got it.

A friend of mine got rejected and she also got a generic form with checked boxes next to the reasons why she had been rejected.

I hope your boyfriend gets it!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking, when you are given a date and time for docs pickup on a US or Canadian consulate, it's because you will get the visa. Otherwise they return the papers and passport to you immediately.
Actually everyone gets a card with a date and time. When you show up, it's the moment of truth. The secretary has a pile of folders. Those who have been rejected will be given their papers back. If the plastic folder contains only the passport, the visa has been granted.
In my opinion, all the "Lovy Dovy" stuff is an overkill. Hopefully it won't do too much harm. Good Luck.