ground ginger?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Does that exist here? Couldnt find it in the supermarkets

And, before you suggest it, i know there is fresh ginger around but the ground variety is a very different anmal

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
They have it at La Serina. It say Ground Ginger and underneath Jengibre Molido with a picture of the ginger root underneath that.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think I bought the one I have in Janet's, Cabarete and is in a Burriac spice jar with flip top lid.

Not nearly as good as the 'real thing' though which I peel and chop up and put in little container with vinegar and use as and when needed.

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
You can also get ground ginger in the Tienda del dollar in Cabarete next to ferreteria Linares, it's some imported US brand decent though I guess if you like dried ginger.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If you can't find ground ginger you can use fresh ginger for cakes.I make a black sticky
gingerbread for Christmas and I prefer the fresh ginger.It has a more intense,spicier
flavor than ground.

Here's a tip:when you peel ginger root use a teaspoon and scrape the skin off.It's much
easier than using a knife.(comes right off)

If recipe calls for one teaspoon ground ginger,use two teaspoon fresh grated ginger.

Don't let it stop you from making your cakes.;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ground as in powder? i am pretty sure i saw some in la sirena in POP, in their spices section.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Put the real thing in a good processor and try it ! U may be surprised , with your new way of trying new ways in a country , that knows only 1 way

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
There's nothing like fresh herbs and freshly ground spices.Once you cook with it,you'll notice the
difference in taste,you'll never go back to dried herbs and spices again.Now that I live in the DR,
why would I want to use dried and powder,when fresh is available year round.Plus I have an
herb garden.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Viny,
Dollar Store in Cabarete, Plaza Linares #4 has it in three sizes.

Olly and the Team

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
There's nothing like fresh herbs and freshly ground spices.Once you cook with it,you'll notice the
difference in taste,you'll never go back to dried herbs and spices again.Now that I live in the DR,
why would I want to use dried and powder,when fresh is available year round.Plus I have an
herb garden.

Er, because in some cases, it is actually different...not worse, not better, just different.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I think this has to be settled and judged by an impartial jury. I suggest you both make your cookies and cakes, bring them to me, and I will judge them...

Please bring plenty as this is a serious matter, so I will have to take my time.

Glad to be of help... lol

BelgianK