Parking in the center of Cabarete....

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
Does anyone know when will they ever clear up the main street???...and make parking space on the backroads or closed ( abandoned resorts-hotels )???:lick:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is a rhetorical question, right? :alien:

in DR parking space is defined as "wherever you stop the car" :devious:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
There is off-street paid parking in Plaza El Patio & at Scotia Bank.

Also, next to Helados Bon & in addition at the cow bar I believe there are signs for parking lots. I could be wrong about that & can't personally recommend those locations.

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
I know they have some at thoses places named above but what I want to hear is when are they going to clear up the main so that it doesn't take an hour to pass a quarter of a mile, expecially on holidays!!...and dv8, I know that ''wherever you stop the car'' your parked in Cabarete or wherever in DR LOL!! Driving from Sosua to Cabarete takes 10 minutes and should take not more than 20 to get to Sabaneta, but it often takes an hour or more because of traffic jam in the center of Cabarete:disappoin. This is due to the parked cars along the main.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know they have some at thoses places named above but what I want to hear is when are they going to clear up the main so that it doesn't take an hour to pass a quarter of a mile, expecially on holidays!!...and dv8, I know that ''wherever you stop the car'' your parked in Cabarete or wherever in DR LOL!! Driving from Sosua to u Cabarete takes 10 minutes and should take not more than 20 to get to Sabaneta, but it often takes an hour or more because of traffic jam in the center of Cabarete:disappoin. This is due to the parked cars along the main.

I would not hold my breath waiting for the answer to your question since there is no foreseeable date in the future for what you are asking for to come to pass.

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
I would not hold my breath waiting for the answer to your question since there is no foreseeable date in the future for what you are asking for to come to pass.
ok, so does any know if there is a side road to bypass??..I havn't seen any on the map?..but maybe someone knows a way by the hills?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ok, so does any know if there is a side road to bypass??..I havn't seen any on the map?..but maybe someone knows a way by the hills?

Funny you should ask. There has been talk of a Cabarete bypass road. It is just that, talk with nothing likely to happen.

That road would have to either go through a swamp, displace a lot of homes or go along the foothills.

As for an existing way around Cabarete? Yes there is one in the foothill area. I have never taken and I am unlikely to ever try it. It runs past Haciendas El Choco (near Sosua) goes toward the hills and eventually you reach Pata de Gallina where it returns to the main highway about 20 to 30 minutes outside of Cabarete. I understand there are streams to ford, and a real 4 wheeler or motocross motorcycle or mountain bike are the best options to take it. You certainly would not be saving any time.

watson56

Jul 19, 2011
Funny you should ask. There has been talk of a Cabarete bypass road. It is just that, talk with nothing likely to happen.

That road would have to either go through a swamp, displace a lot of homes or go along the foothills.

As for an existing way around Cabarete? Yes there is one in the foothill area. I have never taken and I am unlikely to ever try it. It runs past Haciendas El Choco (near Sosua) goes toward the hills and eventually you reach Pata de Gallina where it returns to the main highway about 20 to 30 minutes outside of Cabarete. I understand there are streams to ford, and a real 4 wheeler or motocross motorcycle or mountain bike are the best options to take it. You certainly would not be saving any time.

Ah ok, well thanks for the info anyway :)...if ever I feel to explore some day when I'll be back there, might give it a try, just for the fun :p

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
forget the el choco road as one of the bridges collapsed a while ago, and up till now it has only been replaced with a narrow wooden bridge for motos to cross.

beautiful road, but 4x4 definitely needed.

BelgianK

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
not true Belgian...there is now a new temporary bridge wide enough for vehicles...rode over it yesterday.

What there isnt, is a barrier on the west side of the bridge. Any mountain bikers doing el choco west-east may get a nasty surprise if they come down at speed towards the collapsed bridge!

At least they could put a little ramp in to aid jumping :)

ps they have also graded the road recently making it much more user-friendly

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
not true Belgian...there is now a new temporary bridge wide enough for vehicles...rode over it yesterday.

What there isnt, is a barrier on the west side of the bridge. Any mountain bikers doing el choco west-east may get a nasty surprise if they come down at speed towards the collapsed bridge!

At least they could put a little ramp in to aid jumping :)

ps they have also graded the road recently making it much more user-friendly

Great to know, thanks

BelgianK