New laws on Gender Violence

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from DR1 news today

Feminists protest Penal Code changes

Women's groups protested outside Congress yesterday, Thursday 15 November demanding changes to the Penal Code bill passed in a first reading by the Chamber of Deputies. The Chamber of Deputies Justice Commission is currently reviewing the codes. The items being questioned by the women's groups include a modification to the Penal Code that penalizes even therapeutic abortion with a jail sentence. The recent case of a young girl who required chemotherapy but was refused the life-saving treatment by doctors because she was pregnant is one example of the absurdity of the provisions in the Penal Code. Former Vice President Milagros Ortiz Bosch and leading women's rights campaigners like Sergia Galvan took part in the protest. The deputies have also changed the present Penal Code to reduce the charges for sex abuse of minors. In the past several legislators have been accused of having sex with minors.

Dozens of protestors dressed in black and with symbolic coffins protested outside Congress on Thursday, 15 November. They object to the approval in a first reading to reduce penalties for violence against women. "Here lie women's rights that are victims of the Penal Code," said one of the coffins carried by the protestors. Women's groups say that the revision to the Penal Code would cover up for cases where minors are taken from the parental home for sexual relationships by reducing the maximum jail sentence to three years, putting it on a par with "simple robbery." At present, the penalty for having sex with a minor, even when it is a consensual relationship, is five years in jail, but this could be increased depending on the circumstances. Two legislators were recently processed for having sexual relations with minors.

Colectiva Mujer y Salud coordinator Sergia Galvan said that the changes approved also reduce penalties for violence against women by narrowing the definition of domestic violence that has been categorized as a crime since 1997. The changes also mean that domestic violence will only be treated as a serious crime when the victim dies or is incapacitated. At present the legislation penalizes physical aggression, psychological aggression, verbal aggression, intimidation and persecution with five years in jail even if there is no death. Galvan stressed that the number of murders of women by their spouses has increased in recent years. The Attorney General Office said that in 2011 there were 230 femicides, the highest number since 2005. As of the beginning of October, 150 women had been murdered by their spouses in 2012.

Lorena Espinoza, also of Colectiva Mujer y Salud, said that the legislators have also approved a reduction of penalties for incest with minors. The bill in place establishes a maximum penalty.

The bill needs to be approved in a second reading before passing to the Senate
Demostenes Martinez, president of the Justice Commission defended the Penal Code revisions saying that it was the result of 12 years of debate with different sectors of Dominican society.

Vice President Margarita Cedeno reportedly sent a Twitter message @margaritcedf that she would ask President Medina to veto the changes to the Penal Code.

Vicepresidenta asegura pedir? al Presidente?Medina vetar el C?digo Penal - Hoy Digital

Feministas protestan contra reducci?n de sanciones a agresores de mujeres - Hoy Digital

Feministas protestan contra reducci?n de sanciones a agresores de mujeres - Hoy Digital

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
how does one have consensual sex with a minor? I thought the entire premise was that minors are consider to be too young to be able to give consent, no? Not understanding the implications? or is that just meaning a dating relationship between two teens.. rather than a 35 year old and a 14 year old? fuzzy lines here that i do not understand.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
how does one have consensual sex with a minor? I thought the entire premise was that minors are consider to be too young to be able to give consent, no? Not understanding the implications? or is that just meaning a dating relationship between two teens.. rather than a 35 year old and a 14 year old? fuzzy lines here that i do not understand.

Under the law a minor is anyone under the age of 18 (in the DR) I remember a few years ago I was at Pikes Peak staying at the Airforce Hotel and we ( the aircrew) were getting ready to go out for dinner and drinks and there was this young American Airforce girl sitting in the lounge looking forlorn because she was only 20 and in Colorado you had to be 21 to drink. Imagine that, old enough to die for your country but not old enough to rent a car or drink booze.

DBrown

Nov 20, 2012
I think it"s a great news and step been taken as some new bills are passed concerning laws for gender violence. I think we should condemn all such actvities which includes or leads to gender violence. And suct type of laws and actions will surly restrict and demoralize all such activities and the persons who induldge in such activities.

Feb 15, 2005
I think it"s a great news and step been taken as some new bills are passed concerning laws for gender violence. I think we should condemn all such actvities which includes or leads to gender violence. And suct type of laws and actions will surly restrict and demoralize all such activities and the persons who induldge in such activities.

Actually I believe the new penal code, takes a huge step back.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The essence of the phenomenon is that novice posters who are potential spammers in disguise post a vaguely on-topic stream of drivel to build up their post count before launching a full scale spam offensive.