Canadian female wanting to move

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012
Hello everyone!

I have been doing some reading on here and love all the helpful day-to-day, how not to get killed advice!
So thank you very much for that!

In short, I am thinking of moving to the DR after visiting a few weeks ago. Not perminantly, but maybe for a year or so, in 2014 (fingers crossed). I was in a resort, but did take a tour out into the village, and went off the resort to eat some actual food, and I actually loved that more than being on the resort. I met such wonderful people. However, I know that the "touristy" things I did, are not even close to what DR is really like..

I have not been able to get much information in regards to the veterinary industry there. When I was in Punta Cana, I saw a billboard for a veterinary clinic and wished I had went in there to see what their standards of veterinary care are. I am currently a licensed/registered veterinary technician and would love to pursue my current career in the veterinary field, however, with the cost of living, and the average income is, I dont see this being a very fruitful experience. There are many strays running around.

So on that note, I was curious as to how big of an industry farming is? Do they seek veterinary care for livestock? I can see that being more realistic to pursue. And where would one go to seek job information regarding jobs like these? I'm not having much luck with Google.

And how come when I search for apartments/housing online, its saying it's like $2500 USD per month? Are these tourist-targeted vacation apartments? I want something small, one bedroom, kitchen, 1 bathroom, in a safe neighborhood close to the capital (Boca Chica, etc). Are there any KEY neighborhoods/areas I should just flat out avoid? (The Harlems or Comptons of DR? lol)

I also have a very touchy subject to ask about, but I really need this answered so I am just going to flat out say it: I am attractive. And I worry because I LOOK like a tourist. How do I mind my own business, and turn down advances, without offending anyone? I am also quite petite, so I feel I may be targeted? Alot of the things I own may also not be wise to bring along, as I have recently read that many people in the DR can be jealous/greedy/envious, should I leave the name brands at home? I don't know if I could live without shorts. :nervous:

Any additional information that you could recommend for a small young female travelling alone would also be great, or any insight on the animal/farming industry.

Thanks in advance :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is certainly a big industry regarding veterinary services for farm production but I don't know how easy it would be to break in given that you probably don't speak the language and there are tons of such services here. I might think you'd have a better chance looking for a job with a veterinary service that caters to English speaking people in the tourist areas or the capital.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I also have a very touchy subject to ask about, but I really need this answered so I am just going to flat out say it: I am attractive. And I worry because I LOOK like a tourist. How do I mind my own business, and turn down advances, without offending anyone? I am also quite petite, so I feel I may be targeted? Alot of the things I own may also not be wise to bring along, as I have recently read that many people in the DR can be jealous/greedy/envious, should I leave the name brands at home? I don't know if I could live without shorts. :nervous:

Well, first of all you have to realize that men here flirt for fun. The motoconcho driver, the gargabe truck guy, the guy at the colmado, etc, they will either hit on you or compliment you, but remember that these guys do that with mostly all women and most of the time they are not even expecting a reaction from you.

I've seen girls really worked up over a guy calling them "Mi amor" which means "my love" but that doesn't really mean anything. Don't hang out with a guy just out of pity or just not to hurt his feelings.

If you are going to use a lot of public transportation, especially conchos, I'd suggest you don't wear things like gold necklaces or breacelets. I I know people who have had bad experiences in conchos. By the way, I dont see why you'd have to give up wearing shorts.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
AS Chip said, veterinary services for livestock is probably the most profitable job for a vet in DR, unless you have the chance to open you own clinic for pets, which at the priced they charge here must be very profitable, too.
Those apartments are definitely not what you're looking for. I don't know where you plan to settle, but you should be able to find something very decent for less than US$500/mo.
As for being attractive, I don't see that as a problem here or anywhere else. It certainly has not been a problem for me...;)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Okay what is his name? The Dominican guy you fell in love with.

BTW When you move to DR you will see some parts of Santo Domingo and Boca Chica that make Harlem and Compton look like Beverly Hills CA and Bethesda MD.

Harlem is not a bad area, but if you think it is you will LOVE Santo Domingo.

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I was born and raised for the first part of my life in Harlem.
I could guarantee you that today you couldn't get afford or be upper class enough to rent a closet in Harlem.
Most of my family still lives there, last year my uncle was offered 8 Million $$ for a Brownstone he bought decades ago for $147,000.
Might wanna use another reference.

SHALENA

(Sorry, I know that I didn't answer any of your questions but sometimes I may read a whole post and just one thing catches my eye the wrong way, I'm sure the people who live in the area where you want to move will chime in soon with lots of helpful information for you :) )

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I was born and raised for the first part of my life in Harlem.
I could guarantee you that today you couldn't get afford or be upper class enough to rent a closet in Harlem.
Most of my family still lives there, last year my uncle was offered 8 Million $$ for a Brownstone he bought decades ago for $147,000.
Might wanna use another reference.

SHALENA

(Sorry, I know that I didn't answer any of your questions but sometimes I may read a whole post and just one thing catches my eye the wrong way, I'm sure the people who live in the area where you want to move will chime in soon with lots of helpful information for you :) )

That is Canada for you, she wants to bad mouth Harlem and Compton but Boca Chica is A OKAY!!!!

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012
I think everyone is taking what I say the wrong way..
The areas Compton and Harlem have a bad reputation for people not from there or who have never visited. I have never personally visited, but then again some people think Toronto is bad, which in some areas it can be, but I didnt think people on here would know what Jane and Finch was, so I used some American references. Not meant to offend anyone.

Well, first of all you have to realize that men here flirt for fun.
I've seen girls really worked up over a guy calling them "Mi amor" which means "my love" but that doesn't really mean anything. Don't hang out with a guy just out of pity or just not to hurt his feelings.

I do realize that people there flirt for fun, and they do that everywhere else as well. However whenever I met someone who wasnt flirting with me (I became friends with a young man who was married with a kid), and I asked him if going to Santo Domingo by myself to visit and look around was a good idea, and he told me that I shouldnt go, and that I should actually probably not travel anywhere alone (even during the day) because Im "too pretty." I don't want to come off sounding conceited, because I really am not, but the people FROM DR are scaring me, making me feel that I'd have to look atrocious everywhere I go, just to not be bothered. But I also had a friend who moved there, pretty girl, didnt speak a word of Spanish, and just moved to Puerto Plata, and she told me stories of just walking around by herself, hitch hiking rides where ever she needed, how safe everything was. So I'm just getting a lot of mixed information and don't want to go there thinking Im in Disney Land, but also not with a negative mind set.

Okay what is his name? The Dominican guy you fell in love with.

LOL I am very single and very happy BY CHOICE! However I do have question in regards to the dreaded "L WORD".

I did meet a young man there at the resort who works there, very nice, soft spoken guy. Taught me Spanish, took me out dancing on my last night there, we exchanged facebooks, emails, and phone numbers to keep in touch. Now he messages me "Te quiero mucho, te quiero mi amor, etc" and calls me like 7 times in a row if I dont answer. IS THIS NORMAL? Is it a casual thing to throw around the "I love you" card?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Well, if this were the Men-from-whatever-and-women-from-somewhere-else forum, you would get more proper answers to that last question. However, this is not that forum, so I'll try to answer with no irony whatsoever. The I love you card is a normal thing any time a sanky wants you to think that. It's part of their game/beaten path/worn out script. You can ignore him, he does not love you, well, maybe just a part of you, your passport....

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
my cousin NACHO sells veterinary supplies in santiago. he knows many vets. i can ask him about any job openings he may here about. he makes a good living selling supplies. he and his wife just finished new 2500 sq ft home.

Last edited:

cnhrvt

Nov 21, 2012
The I love you card is a normal thing any time a sanky wants you to think that. It's part of their game/beaten path/worn out script. You can ignore him, he does not love you, well, maybe just a part of you, your passport....

I have been ignoring it. And even telling him to stop. Believe me, I am not here crossing my fingers for him, he was a nice boy, thats it. That was just a by the way/side topic I was just curious about as I didnt have anyone to ask on the matter. I did feel the men were quiet aggressive towards me when I left the resort, so I worry about being alone and not having a resort to go to if I feel uncomfortable. However, my main focus is more on the safe places to live, and the veterinary industry, and how safe it is for a small female foreigner to live here alone. As "ironic", or even "moronic" my questions about the last topic may seem, they are genuine concerns of mine, and would appreciate some genuine insight in regards to that.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
cnhrvt: take it from me a guy that received straight A's in 1st grade. If you move to the Dominican Republic being a" single" beautiful woman, I will give you 8 to 10 months before you are pregnant. Just read the threads here of all the gringos IN LOVE with Dominican women. Well in the eyes of Dominican men you are what gringos see in Santiago and Moca. The way Dominicans view SEX is different then in Canada. The main thing they will try to do is get you to have their baby and they compete with each other like nothing you have ever witness.

You are not a beautiful woman in their eyes you are HOPE in their eyes and you will find out hope is priceless in the DR. Now if you are truely a beautiful Canadian woman, make a stop in Chicago before you head to DR and have a drink with the "best thing" next to planet earth and I will tell everything you need to know about Dominicans and the DR. The only thing I ask in return, is when you move to DR and meet your soul mate and have a son or daughter tell your child about the man you met in Chicago that goes by JMB773;)

I almost 4got GOOD LUCK!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
It is extremely difficult to work in the DR without language skills. You need to be able to speak Spanish. Additionally I don't believe you can work here without at least a temporary residency. This process takes 6-9 months from the time that your attorney applies and files your documents. So as you can see there are some logistic problems you would need to overcome. It is not uncommon for people who come here on vacation to think it would be great to live here but the reality is that it is not as easy as it seems. You really need to come to the DR for a month and experience a real life situation. I too had "island fever" but I waited about 25 years for retirement to come to the DR part of the year. I would suggest you take some time to do your homework. A single female with no language skills or knowledge of customs and everyday life in the DR should not attempt this move at this time. Come here on vacation. Stay in places other than all-inclussives and experience real world situations. Study Spanish. You can't make a educated decision without these things. Hold on to your dream but take time to make it happen

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
my two daughters live /lived in santiago by themselves, you have to live where their is good security. and of course they always go out in groups, its harder for women. they have worried me half to death at times, they have has some close calls. one time people were stealing womans hair to resell. attacking them and choping hair off to sell. i would try and find a roomate

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think everyone is taking what I say the wrong way..
The areas Compton and Harlem have a bad reputation for people not from there or who have never visited. I have never personally visited, but then again some people think Toronto is bad, which in some areas it can be, but I didnt think people on here would know what Jane and Finch was, so I used some American references. Not meant to offend anyone.

I do realize that people there flirt for fun, and they do that everywhere else as well. However whenever I met someone who wasnt flirting with me (I became friends with a young man who was married with a kid), and I asked him if going to Santo Domingo by myself to visit and look around was a good idea, and he told me that I shouldnt go, and that I should actually probably not travel anywhere alone (even during the day) because Im "too pretty." I don't want to come off sounding conceited, because I really am not, but the people FROM DR are scaring me, making me feel that I'd have to look atrocious everywhere I go, just to not be bothered. But I also had a friend who moved there, pretty girl, didnt speak a word of Spanish, and just moved to Puerto Plata, and she told me stories of just walking around by herself, hitch hiking rides where ever she needed, how safe everything was. So I'm just getting a lot of mixed information and don't want to go there thinking Im in Disney Land, but also not with a negative mind set.

LOL I am very single and very happy BY CHOICE! However I do have question in regards to the dreaded "L WORD".

I did meet a young man there at the resort who works there, very nice, soft spoken guy. Taught me Spanish, took me out dancing on my last night there, we exchanged facebooks, emails, and phone numbers to keep in touch. Now he messages me "Te quiero mucho, te quiero mi amor, etc" and calls me like 7 times in a row if I dont answer. IS THIS NORMAL? Is it a casual thing to throw around the "I love you" card?

Ah yes. Yes it is normal. He wants your money and a ticket to Canada. Completely normal and happens every day.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I have been ignoring it. And even telling him to stop. Believe me, I am not here crossing my fingers for him, he was a nice boy, thats it. That was just a by the way/side topic I was just curious about as I didnt have anyone to ask on the matter. I did feel the men were quiet aggressive towards me when I left the resort, so I worry about being alone and not having a resort to go to if I feel uncomfortable. However, my main focus is more on the safe places to live, and the veterinary industry, and how safe it is for a small female foreigner to live here alone. As "ironic", or even "moronic" my questions about the last topic may seem, they are genuine concerns of mine, and would appreciate some genuine insight in regards to that.

Well, I agree those are concerns that anyone coming to DR needs to address. Unfortunately, the sanky business is very widespread and profitable, so you should never let your guard down. I'm sorry if my previous answer sounded too harsh, as it was not intended to be so. This a good place to discuss all your concerns, even those. You might get some ironic answers, but don't take it personal, it's just such a common question that by now few people feel like giving straight answers anymore.
I really wish you good luck, and commend you for your courage and sense of adventure.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
to dominican men you are a gringa. It does not matter if you are beautiful or not. They dont judge ;-) they take them all

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
to dominican men you are a gringa. It does not matter if you are beautiful or not. They dont judge ;-) they take them all

true to some extent, but that is also a generalization. not all dominican men are the same. my son is not like that. he i married to his middle school sweetheart. if you hang out in bars and clubs you meet many men like that.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Yawn

I did meet a young man there at the resort who works there, very nice, soft spoken guy. Taught me Spanish, took me out dancing on my last night there, we exchanged facebooks, emails, and phone numbers to keep in touch. Now he messages me "Te quiero mucho, te quiero mi amor, etc" and calls me like 7 times in a row if I dont answer.

yawn6.jpg

donP