Looking to relocate to cabrera any info please help

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I have lived in the sosua area before, in Boca Chica and also in Santo Domingo Capital....

I have not been to the island in 2 years but i'm somewhat familiar with Rio San Juan and Nagua.

Some friends have recomended to me to look into the Cabrera area and told me there is still good deals to be had in properties, the people are nice and prostitution is not rampant as it was in sosua when I visited.

Any pointers regarding real estate, living, business, future projects, or insider info will be greatly apreciated. Playa Grande is so beautiful I got mesmerized.

also how developed is it compared to sosua and punta cana, are the planning the ill fated all inclusive resorts for that area or not?

thanks to all in advance.
oceanspear.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Playa Grande beach/golf club is being developed into huge villas but no all inclusives. It is not considered to be a tourist area but has a fairly large population of expats who live here permanently or for a large part of the year. We get all the necessities locally, but some things can only be purchased on a trip to the larger towns/cities. Depending where you live you may have slow or intermittent internet. The power supply goes off for hours each day so you need back up sources. Playa grande is only one of the nearby beaches, there are others but none in the town itself. There is a nice local hotel (La Catalina) and a few apartments and houses available to rent. Lots of land and real estate for sale but you have to look long and carefully to get bargains. Not much nite life, but the park in the centre of the city is a local gathering place and gets quite lively on the weekends and holidays. The Dominicans are helpful and very nice but you will find that very few of them speak English. But they are also patient and friendly with gringos who only speak English or worse yet, try to speak Spanish.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
How hard is to find a small decent house near the beach? nothing fancy...lets say monthly rental, or if I decide to purchase house... nothing fancy, just close to the water how much am I looking at? how is the fishing in the area? spearfishing? surfing?
when I look at the listings on the web I see cute houses for around 50k with zinc metal roofs... and I think its insane!!!, is that what they are going for? its just almost as pricey as Las Terrenas?
how long have you lived there? is it business friendly?....
what do you think of playa entrada?...
thanks..

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
First, Cabrera is on a sea cliff so there is virtually no beachfront within the town itself. Outside of town you have a number of beaches (Playa Grande, Playa Preciosa, El Breton, Orchid Bay, Playa Diamonte, Playa Entrada, etc.) so you would have to locate a house on/near those. The only ones with affordable housing would be La Entrada or Baoba. Look in those areas if you absolutely must live on the beach (as opposed to near the beach).

reydelbatey

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
I went to Cabrera and I didn't like it that much. I think you would be better moving to Gaspar Hernandez. GH is more organized and safer. Also GH is closer to Cabarete, Sosua, Santiago and la ciudad de Puerto Plata.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
GH is not safer than Cabrera, that's just a silly comment. Cabrera is about as safe as anyplace gets on this island. I've been here for over a decade and as the warden for the US Embassy I hear of all crime. Thankfully I seldom hear about anything of the sort.