Advice on buying house in cabrera. Any info helps. Thanks!

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
HI, my wife and I would love to purchase a small, decent house in Cabrera, close to the beach.
Nothing fancy or Luxurious. a 2/1 close to entrada would do. My question is...
what on average a house with a good clean title with no issues in decent condition, lets say 600 sqm is worth
nowadays?
we see advertising on the web all the time, but we think they are jacking up the prices for the foreigners?

is Cabrera a good investment? is it growing? will it become the all inclusive monster that Punta Cana is?

are there good business opportunities?

is it overpriced like Las Terrenas or ridiculous Sosua or is the market fair?

thanks to all in advance for the input.

mike

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Sorry, no houses available on the beach in Cabrera cuz there is no beach in Cabrera which is why it can't ever be like Punta Cana . Development of Playa Grande has people hoping it will be a boost to the Cabrera economy. Hate to be negative, but if you need to work or start a business to live here it will likely be impossible.

Cabrera has a few real estate companies and many real estate agents and no MLS. And yes, advertizing on the web is designed to pull in people with the cash. Having spent 6 months in the looking and buying phase it still almost impossible for me to describe the local "market'. Suffice to say, almost everything here is for sale and in N. American markets that should indicate a buyers market with fire sale prices. Not so! But to give you a figure to toss around, a modest house with ocean view could possibly be found for 200K. You could buy a small piece of land and build a small house for about the same. You might find something for less and you certainly will find lots for way more. So much depends what you are willing to live with and what life style you are seeking.

You really need to come and rent and find out for yourself as the info you are looking for could fill a book and is highly subjective.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the information, I gather from what you are telling me that if you are not loaded, dont even bother...
did you find a place in or near Cabrera or Playa grande yet?... we saw a few small houses near the beach in entrada and their asking price was about 50K (no ocean view of course), but near the beach....It seemed high but now in perspective I guess thats the market price...
Is Las Terrenas a better business venue?
but Im 42 years old nowhere near retirement and would have to start a business...
I'm just sick of my life in the states and want to chill a little bit...sick of paying taxes and seeing my hard earned money just fly off my hands... mortgage,bills, payments,insurance...it never ends....
the prospect of no property taxes, and few regulations is very attractive to me, plus the island is beautiful and the people are friendly.
I guess shangri La does not exist....anymore.
thanks.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks for the information, I gather from what you are telling me that if you are not loaded, dont even bother...
did you find a place in or near Cabrera or Playa grande yet?... we saw a few small houses near the beach in entrada and their asking price was about 50K (no ocean view of course), but near the beach....It seemed high but now in perspective I guess thats the market price...
Is Las Terrenas a better business venue?
but Im 42 years old nowhere near retirement and would have to start a business...
I'm just sick of my life in the states and want to chill a little bit...sick of paying taxes and seeing my hard earned money just fly off my hands... mortgage,bills, payments,insurance...it never ends....
the prospect of no property taxes, and few regulations is very attractive to me, plus the island is beautiful and the people are friendly.
I guess shangri La does not exist....anymore.
thanks.

haha... no taxes????

well, if you retain your U.S. citizenship, you still owe income taxes (and giving up that very valuable connection isn't worth it unless you can basically buy your own country... as in Bill Gates kinda cash... and maybe not even then.)

PLUS... D.R. taxes... sixteen percent on everything... opppssss... make that EIGHTEEN now.
my electricity costs 3 or 4 times what it does in the U.S.
Propinas at every turn if you're in business or just need to get something done

granted... the island is beautiful, but so are the views in the states. people are people everywhere.

in short... life is what YOU MAKE IT. If you want a change of scenery or to shake things up in your life... cool... but you can't run away from life or yourself.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the info Captain... I have actually lived in the D.R. before so I am very well aware of what goes on on a daily basis. I know the mind frame and obviously is not a first world country. I love the U.S. dont get me wrong, I am just transcending and I want a change in my life and I always follow my guts. I dont want to be 65 years old wishing I did something. I rather fail at it than never try... but believe I am very aware of the Dominican way... its a fact of life. lol.
btw.... have you been to the states lately?...this place is not what it used to be.... thats all. I hate goverment intrusion.
and this new generation seems to be wanting to be handed down everything. Not wanting to work is the new normal.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Cabrera prices are extremely high compared to other small towns not so far away- like La Entrada and Payita and many others. Cabrera prices have been driven way up by the small ex-pat community who resides there. Look 10-20 klms away from town and the price will decrease dramatically. K