Economist Piece on DR

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
That statistic about the diplomats and the chief central banker is shocking. Thanks for posting this.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
" This enraged many Dominicans, normally a fairly apathetic lot. " This has got to end, where is the "Dominican Spring?"

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Enlightening ... but, we already had a hunch. A little clear reporting, fact finding would solve much of this.

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011
That statistic about the diplomats and the chief central banker is shocking. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for posting. After reading this, I should retire from my US govenement job and find a government job in the US. Shocking; More diplomats than Brazil and other countires. Brazil has at least 130 million people compare to about 11 million in DR.

Dec 26, 2011
There's one of the pigs:

I0000gBapVpxCFKs.jpg

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that is a very balanced article and mainly correct ,except that LF only lost his popularity in the last 6 months of many years as president and achieved a lot for the DR ..it was only his binge at the end that wrecked his reputaion and also gave Danilo a rough start . but something must be done to bring the salaries of ministers and the top officials into line with the salaries of top executives here and there couterparts abroad... having said that I think the head of the Reserve bank has done a very good job

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Pierce seems to have hit the nail on the head with this article. If Medina is sincere about cutting the deficit his government will need to look at themselves and find pockets of needless over spending. In a country where politics and political favors go hand in hand we shouldn't expect that high priced salaries and appointed jobs will disappear anytime soon. It is sad to see that the gap between the have and have nots is getting wider but this is a world wide phenomenon and not just found in the third world.

LTSteve

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think that is a very balanced article and mainly correct ,except that LF only lost his popularity in the last 6 months of many years as president and achieved a lot for the DR ..it was only his binge at the end that wrecked his reputaion and also gave Danilo a rough start.
The binge at the end may very well be what kept the PLD in power and Danilo elected.