BEWARE of new scamsters operating on the highway Sosua ? Puerto Plata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[h=2]This is true - they tried to stop me:

BEWARE of new scamsters operating on the highway Sosua ? Puerto Plata[/h]
This piece of information has been sent to us by one of local expats to help warn us all?
There are 2 Dominicans in a small white jeep in the area between the Gran Parada and Playa Dorada, that tell you your wheel is about to fall off. They pull you over and reach underneath you vehicle and show you the broken part and for a few pesos offer to fix it. That is just the beginning and when done they will promise to change parts. When done you find you vehicle will no longer start and the scam goes on. Do not stop if they flag you down. I stopped and paid the price.
Be Careful!!

Bob

[h=3]Share:[/h] Facebook Twitter StumpleUpon

• 6f406222dc930fb4304ea99ab48998b7
    <cite>Samson</cite> November 26th, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Yep, I got stopped recently and indeed stopped. They pointed at my offside wheel. So I stopped and checked it They came up and then said that it was the other wheel. That made me suspicious but I checked it anyway and couldn?t find anything wrong. Let?s face it, if there is something wrong with front Wheels, You will notice it when driving. I drove off.
    They were driving a silver honda similar to mine.
    A sign that things are getting desperate. Expect that there will be more scams, probably police. I discovered that they run the aggressive window cleaning scams in Puerto Plata. Next time you are there, look around for the cop! If you get your car scratched, he will testify against you.
[h=3]Leave a comment[/h] You must be logged in to post a comment.

Dec 26, 2011
Do not stop.

Do not stop.

Look the man in the eye, assume a deferential mindset, give a subtle friendly salute and drive on as if you've just waved at your neighbor.

Don't stop.

Don't ever stop.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
TOOOOOO late for the warning. 4 months ago my wife drove to POP and was flagged down. Needed a ball joint. Jacked up car and everything. She told me about it when she returned and showed me the "old" ball joint. I took the car to our mech. to check things out and to make sure that IF a replacement had been done that it was the correct part.

NO new ball joint. She never would tell me how much.

But thanks for posting.... a little late for me and my wife. Dang.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
This same scam was reported on DR1 a few months ago I believe.

Guess a few people missed reading it.

"R"

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
They tried it on me a couple of months ago in the vicinity of Fun City....no way I was stopping but I know that lots of people would. Never ever stop for anyone!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why post on Facebook Twitter StumpleUpon

use DR1 to post your comments.

It was not my post originally. I saw this story posted in another location, but they tried the same thing on me as well. I did not stop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i would not stop. the only things i see when i drive is other cars, road and possible dangers. i do not really look at people standing on the side of the road, other cars "blinking" at me to signal something and generally things that will not interrupt my flow. so scammers can blink, honk and signal all the want: i ain't stoppin'.
and besides i believe if the car i am in is driving without any problems then there are no problems :)

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Is anyone reporting these scammers to the police? I know that people on here do not rely on the police but it sounds like these guys have set up here frequently, enough to be forewarned by others. Maybe the cops should try a sting on them - plain clothes, unmarked car, etc.

Dec 26, 2011
Is anyone reporting these scammers to the police? I know that people on here do not rely on the police but it sounds like these guys have set up here frequently, enough to be forewarned by others. Maybe the cops should try a sting on them - plain clothes, unmarked car, etc.

You believe the police are unaware of their operation?

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
These guys tried the scam on us the other day. We stopped at a gas station and they followed us and we told them to bugger off. We figured it was a scam from the start but stopped in a public place just to check the car.
[h=2]This is true - they tried to stop me:

BEWARE of new scamsters operating on the highway Sosua ? Puerto Plata[/h]
This piece of information has been sent to us by one of local expats to help warn us all?
There are 2 Dominicans in a small white jeep in the area between the Gran Parada and Playa Dorada, that tell you your wheel is about to fall off. They pull you over and reach underneath you vehicle and show you the broken part and for a few pesos offer to fix it. That is just the beginning and when done they will promise to change parts. When done you find you vehicle will no longer start and the scam goes on. Do not stop if they flag you down. I stopped and paid the price.
Be Careful!!

Bob

[h=3]Share:[/h] Facebook Twitter StumpleUpon

• 6f406222dc930fb4304ea99ab48998b7
    <cite>Samson</cite> November 26th, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Yep, I got stopped recently and indeed stopped. They pointed at my offside wheel. So I stopped and checked it They came up and then said that it was the other wheel. That made me suspicious but I checked it anyway and couldn?t find anything wrong. Let?s face it, if there is something wrong with front Wheels, You will notice it when driving. I drove off.
    They were driving a silver honda similar to mine.
    A sign that things are getting desperate. Expect that there will be more scams, probably police. I discovered that they run the aggressive window cleaning scams in Puerto Plata. Next time you are there, look around for the cop! If you get your car scratched, he will testify against you.
[h=3]Leave a comment[/h] You must be logged in to post a comment.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Someone tried it on me in puerto plata a month or so ago. Funnily enough my tyres were all in need of air and not just the one he pointed at!
I ignored them and guessed it was a scam.
I do believe it was some sort of silver jeep now that you guys mention it

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
It happens to us 2 weeks ago in Puerto Plata.
We are driving with 4 adults in the car, as this 2 guys say the same to us, stop the car you're wheel falls down.
We stop the car, and one of the guys goes down and show us the ???? broken axle.
Well you stay in the middle of Puerto Plata, and the guys offer us for help, the axle new was 10.000 pesos he told us.
Holy boly when we know what there comes, we will never give the order to fix it.
After this was fix, he told us that he had to buy also a transmission, with out any talk with us, price 48.000 pesos + 10.000, but all of this was the beginning.
On the end we need a new computer, 60.000 pesos, and a lot of other things, the car did nothing more, we pay because we wanted to return the car.
On the end we pay 210.000 pesos.
And when I drove my car I told him that the brakes are very bad, and this was not possible, because I let 1 week before check my car for control in a garage, and there she told me, that I need new brake pads, and a new tube for the brake fluid, was porous.
So I know that everything was brand new.
I bring my car back to my garage between Cabarete and Sosua, the people takes a look and show me there are very old brake pads, and the tube for the fluid was cut in 2.
Today we got a call from a other guy in Puerto Plata and he told us, that we have to come to Puerto Plata and let check the voltage from the new computer.
We give the answer, that this is a lie, and he have to stop bothering us with tales.
We have the phone number and name from this guy's, and I know where he lives in Puerto PLata, but we think it brings nothing to go to the police.
I get never my money back.
But it happen never more in my live, this was a very expensive dues.

Dec 26, 2011
It happens to us 2 weeks ago in Puerto Plata.
We are driving with 4 adults in the car, as this 2 guys say the same to us, stop the car you're wheel falls down.
We stop the car, and one of the guys goes down and show us the ???? broken axle.
Well you stay in the middle of Puerto Plata, and the guys offer us for help, the axle new was 10.000 pesos he told us.
Holy boly when we know what there comes, we will never give the order to fix it.
After this was fix, he told us that he had to buy also a transmission, with out any talk with us, price 48.000 pesos + 10.000, but all of this was the beginning.
On the end we need a new computer, 60.000 pesos, and a lot of other things, the car did nothing more, we pay because we wanted to return the car.
On the end we pay 210.000 pesos.
And when I drove my car I told him that the brakes are very bad, and this was not possible, because I let 1 week before check my car for control in a garage, and there she told me, that I need new brake pads, and a new tube for the brake fluid, was porous.
So I know that everything was brand new.
I bring my car back to my garage between Cabarete and Sosua, the people takes a look and show me there are very old brake pads, and the tube for the fluid was cut in 2.
Today we got a call from a other guy in Puerto Plata and he told us, that we have to come to Puerto Plata and let check the voltage from the new computer.
We give the answer, that this is a lie, and he have to stop bothering us with tales.
We have the phone number and name from this guy's, and I know where he lives in Puerto PLata, but we think it brings nothing to go to the police.
I get never my money back.
But it happen never more in my live, this was a very expensive dues.

You gave this dude over 5000 USD?

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
Yes, we did, because we are not car mechanicals, we still thought that was nice that someone will help you with a problem.
Second, you scared anyway when someone told you your front wheel falls off.
Then after he show us the broken axle, and we try to start the car, he didn't start no more.
Now we know, that the guy's had done something to the car not started.
Perhaps a line drawn equal broken, who knows?
But you want your car back, so let them fix it.
I would like to know what people are more the sacrifice, maybe we can do something together against this guy's.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I had something similar happen like this, but this guy was an idiot.....lol, he was telling me downtown PP that my tire was low and I should follow him to his mechanic....so I ask him which one, as my wife starts to laugh....he points to the drivers side rear....so I go and look and say it looks fine to me and he says 'oh no senior, its way too low'....so I pull out my tire guage and measure the pressure and low and behold its 32psi.....I look at him at tell him to bugger off....he tries to argue and I give him a quick look of grief and gtf away from me .... anyway I didn't think of it as a scam, until now....thanks all for the report

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There's at least one speed trap on the Samana Highway. And there's usually an official looking for Haitians just outside Nagua, but he's legit. Other than that, unless he's working at a gas station, I never stop for anyone....

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
How do you guys stop???????? Im ean you know your car, you can feel the engine better then anyone outside and wheels you won't need someone tell you the wheel is off