Bringing dog to DR?

dneschlandt

Jun 16, 2012
I am planning on bringing my dog on my next visit and have been trying to figure out exactly what I will need. In my research, I have found the following:

On departure, be sure to obtain a health certificate in the Office of Animal Health Tel. (809) 542-0132, valid for 72 hours. You will need it to depart the country.

You are required to keep the pet in your custody for the first 3 months you are in Dominican Republic.

A small administrative fee may be charged upon your arrival.

Before departure You must take your pet to the quarantine office at the airport 48 hours before departure from Dominican Republic where they will issue a new health certificate and permit to take the pet from the Country. There is a nominal fee charged for this service.

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet may be refused entry and the relevant authority in consultation with an authorized veterinarian can decide to return the pet home, or place the pet in quarantine at the expense of the owner or natural person responsible for pet, or as a last resort, without financial compensation, put the pet down where the return trip home or quarantine cannot be arranged.

I have never seen the rule about taking my pet to the quarantine office at the airport 48 hours before departure - is this rule still in effect? Has anyone heard of this? Is this standard operating procedure that I have missed before? Thanks for your input!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
You have to get a health certificate, preferably in Spanish, from your local vet. Make sure the inoculations are in order, especially the rabies one.

On entry, you have to go to the agricultural department in the airport, where you will have to pay 300 rds for the paperwork. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY IMPORT TAXES, BUT THEY WILL TRY SOMETIMES!!!

On departure you go to a well reputed vet here who will fill out a paper for departure. This will cost you between 1,000 to 1,500 rds depending on the vet and his payments on his new car. Do this a day or 2 before departure.

On arriving at the airport, go again to the agricultural department, give them that paper, and once again pay 300 rds. With the paper you get back from them, you should be OK to check in.

Depending on the people at the check-in everything will be okidoki, or you will be required to carry the crate in yourself to luggage, take the dog out to have the crate checked for drugs, etc...

If all else fails, bribe... discreetly...

Have done this 23 times so far...

Good luck

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If using SDQ, that Agri-Office is on the lower level, so go there first, then go upstairs to check in.

I learned the hard way..... its at the far end, very poorly marked.

I just showed up for my flight w/ my RD vet signature and 300drp... gone in a flash.

BTW, I stopped doing it.... check the heat embargoes, they make no sense but will refuse your pet

dneschlandt

Jun 16, 2012
We will be using POP and will be traveling December-January so I think we are ok on the heat embargoes. I want to at least try it this time but don't want my dog stranded because of some paperwork glitch.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THe porter will take you to the Agri-Office.... I have used POP, not that bad.

Never flown out - just in, so can't speak to the exit routine

check for holiday embargoes -- no pets around the holidays

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
We will be using POP and will be traveling December-January so I think we are ok on the heat embargoes. I want to at least try it this time but don't want my dog stranded because of some paperwork glitch.

Where are you departing from? There are low temperature restrictions also from the point of departure.

dneschlandt

Jun 16, 2012
I was originally departing from ATL, but I have since learned that my dog plus kennel exceeds the weight to travel as a checked bag. Instead we will be leaving from MIA so I don't think there will be any temperature restrictions. However, there could be other restrictions as to the airport we will have to use in DR. Anyone transported a dog as cargo before?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Will the MIA weight limit be different - you think?

As a stupid, foolish, idiotic dog owner - we used to drive to MIA from Philadelphia to ship the dog.
There is a pet stop outside the terminal - for your dog's convenience.

To my knowledge, the weight limit is universal............. unless you get a negligent 'checker-iner'
Personally, we were never weighed..... Bobo the Boxer and a Cane Corso.... both big sized dogs.

Good luck

dneschlandt

Jun 16, 2012
Will the MIA weight limit be different - you think?

As a stupid, foolish, idiotic dog owner - we used to drive to MIA from Philadelphia to ship the dog.
There is a pet stop outside the terminal - for your dog's convenience.

To my knowledge, the weight limit is universal............. unless you get a negligent 'checker-iner'
Personally, we were never weighed..... Bobo the Boxer and a Cane Corso.... both big sized dogs.

Good luck

No, the weight limit is the same - 100 pounds including kennel. But ATL has no "cargo" shipping for American Airlines. Only MIA has the ability to ship him as cargo, thus if he is going, we have to get to MIA. Now my problem is on the other side.ie. DR. We usually fly into POP but American Airlines doesn't fly cargo to POP. They have a flight to STI but you have to clear customs before getting the dog, flight arrives at 8pm, custom office closes at 5! Good grief!

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
Any Advice or problems with the Kennel Size leaving SDQ?? I also will be traveling from SDQ to MIA with my dog. One way trip

Hey Belgiank she is your Great GrandDaughter so help please!!!

Basically I will be doing the following:
-Get vet paperwork 1 or 2 days before traveling (all shots already up to date)
-go to airport 4 hrs before and go to Agri office at the end of the first floor. Pay 300drp
-go to check in counter and check dog in as luggage and pay US175.
-also as per aa.com, attach little bit of food on bag to top of kennel, make sure there's absorbent material inside. I will be traveling Feb 10-13 so shoult not have to worry about the Heat Embargo thing which is if temperature is above 85F

tips, tips, tips please

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are you sure you don't go to the cargo area to check the dog at SDQ?

POP is at the counter, but not s ure about SDQ ---,, check it out.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Better check the airline list of no fly breeds. AA for example will not fly any dog on their list or "any dog that looks like any on our list". AA is terrible about this. Watch the temps as advised. I had to leave SDQ at 6am and get into Miami at 8ish in order to make the max temp restrictions. The paperwork was no problem, it was American Airlines that was nearly impossible. Plus if the dog flies with you as baggage he will not be stranded alone. You will be right there with him as they will not fly the dog without you. As cargo it will be different but the cargo carriers striclty follow the airlines guidance and rules about pets.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Why not leave it and get a street dog when you get here. After it's just a dog. Lets not get sentimental.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why not leave it and get a street dog when you get here. After it's just a dog. Lets not get sentimental.

Let me guess.... you never had a dog?

If you do/did, I feel sorry for him/her.

A dog is a part of the family. You don't just "leave it" and get a street dog.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Why not leave it. It will fend for itself - probably much better than most people can.

dneschlandt

Jun 16, 2012
Any Advice or problems with the Kennel Size leaving SDQ?? I also will be traveling from SDQ to MIA with my dog. One way trip

Hey Belgiank she is your Great GrandDaughter so help please!!!

Basically I will be doing the following:
-Get vet paperwork 1 or 2 days before traveling (all shots already up to date)
-go to airport 4 hrs before and go to Agri office at the end of the first floor. Pay 300drp
-go to check in counter and check dog in as luggage and pay US175.
-also as per aa.com, attach little bit of food on bag to top of kennel, make sure there's absorbent material inside. I will be traveling Feb 10-13 so shoult not have to worry about the Heat Embargo thing which is if temperature is above 85F

tips, tips, tips please

Here's where I ran into problems; flying out of SDQ. Starting in January, the plane is not large enough (according to the airline) to accept a giant kennel. I gave up :( for this trip anyway. When we come back for a longer stay (i.e. months) I will work on it again. Since my dog is a German Shepherd, the size of the kennel was most of the obstacle. Good luck!