Great "Local's" restaurant outside Cabarete

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Had dinner at El Caminante II last night with a group of friends. Ive been there a few times before. This is one of those places you've passed a hundred times and never really noticed, but you should! The food, service, and prices are excellent...the owner, Wilson, is very friendly, speaks great English, and owns another restaurant at La Boca...not the big one next to the river, but the one on the other side...closer to the ocean. The menu is basically the same, but averages about 50 pesos more per plate...the rest of the staff are super friendly as well...and very attentive.

In any case, this place is no frills, right on the highway, next to a sometimes noisy Colmado..and has an open kitchen...but the ambiance is still great! Most of the seafood and mariscos are sold by the pound and you can choose your own lobsters, fish, shrimp, etc...

Everything Ive had there has been excellent, especially the shrimp in cream sauce...I'm sure the lambi or pulpo in the same sauce would be delicious as well. This is a great place to go with a large group as they have big picnic-type tables available, and the food is great for sharing...The last two times I was there for a party, my shaer of the bill...after more food than I should have eaten and probably more drinks than I should have drunk, and a generous tip...was 500 and 550 pesos...and believe me we all ate and drank A LOT...including huge lobsters, whole fried fish, shrimps, lambi, Brugal extra viejo, etc!!

Have a look at the menu...the prices all include the usually sides...and all impuestos.

Location: In Islabon, just past the outskirts of Cabarete, directly on the main highway (Left side going east). There is a large sign with the name EL CAMINANTE II...and it is a few meters past where the painted lines in the road starts...pretty easy to find, even at night.

If you go...tell Wilson I said hi...maybe he'll give you an extra Mamajuana for dessert!

2012-11-29223937.jpg

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have gone a couple of times at his place at la boca, and I can only confirm prices, quality and service are topnotch, if not expecting fancy surroundings

BelgianK

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Found an even cheaper place for seafood today: Playa Escondido is the name of the restaurant.
Its on a 'dominican' beach after Gaspar Hernandez (going east)
Not sure of the name of the little pueblo, but the turning down to the sea is opposite a cemetary that has murals painted on the outside wall (jesus etc etc).
I didnt actually eat there but chatted with the duena and she convinced me that all the seafood was indeed fresh and as the price of the langostinos was only $250 i will definately be going back.

Full report to follow...

arnold67

Aug 29, 2012
I've been to the Caminante twice, seafood is excellent and reasonably priced, but bring some repellent bc mosquitos are nasty!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed El Caminante is well worth the visit. Owned by Wilson Zapete (sp?) who ran last time for mayor of Cabarete.

Last edited: