inverter

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I need to install inverter in small casa. i was told not to put battery bank in my laundry room but it seems well ventilated and most neighbors do. also I was thinking of installing it my self I do alot of elec.work in USA.I just worry about directions if they are in spanish. Can anyone help I am in Sosua area.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
you can translate the directions. i do not reccomend any batteries inside. ours are outside in a little concrete room.
sometimes they explode.. go to google translate and use it

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you have to put the batteries in the same room, do not put them under the inverter because of a potential fume problem from the batteries.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Your best bet is to get a pro to do it for you, he will only charge you RD1000, to RD1,500, do it properly and he will be a handy person to have to call when it does something you don't understand. Usually when you buy the unit they will recommend someone. Also for warranty reasons, if you do not do something correctly and screw up then the warranty will be void, as you installed it wrong. Get a pro to do it right, if it goes wrong then the warranty will stand as he is a pro, and if he installed it wrong then he will be responsible for compensating your loss if the warranty is voided by the incorrect installation. Either way you are covering your back by having nothing to do with any faults that ocurr.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our inversor AND batteries are in the laundry room :) but it is a large room and well ventilated.
and the batteries are under inversor :)
and there are gas bottles inside too :)
for over 3 years now. never had a problem. but then we do regular maintenance...

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy,
You are right about fumes. The Acid fumes can eat away the metal tracks inside the invertoron the printed circuit boards. I had a friend with this problem but he was also storing his pool chemicals in the same room. Chlorine and Sulphuric acid vapour will eat almost any thing !
So put the batteries to one side of the invertor even in a well ventilated room. Preferably the side away from the air cooling intake fan on the invertor.

With regard to inside , I have seen many installations with four or eight batteries inside that have run for many years without a problem.
With a gas cylinder near by however there is a potential problem if a gas leak occurs. The rubber tubes do not last for ever so are a potential source of leaks. When the invertor changes over, a relay may make a spark and ignite any leaking gas so the recommendation is to put the gas cylinder outside and use a copper pipe in the house area.

I have know one battery explode in the 8 years I have been dealing with this sort of stuff and it was caused by an internal fault in the battery. Yes it does happen but the consequences are not that great. Maybe one or two replacement batteries and some acid to deal with.

Olly

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Just looked through my instruction booklet about mounting and connection, and it does not mention anything about fitting the bats under the unit (not that I can pick out from skimming the booklet), although mine are offset to the side, and I had a guy from Trace fit mine.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Givadog,
Instruction manuals dont tell you everything. I am glad you got a professional to fit your invertor and he did it right!

Sunshinedon, Yes it is fairly easy to fit an invertor. The trick is to know what to connect to it and how to change connections in the panel board.

Olly

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
you sure about this? The ones in my house are directly under the invertor :(

Ahhh. You need to move the batteries or the inverter. The acid/toxic/flammable fumes from the batteries with take out your inverter via corrosion AND and HUGH ignition source to go BOOOOOOM.

Best to have the batteries away from the inverter and with lower and upper ventilation in the battery area.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
our inversor AND batteries are in the laundry room :) but it is a large room and well ventilated.
and the batteries are under inversor :)
and there are gas bottles inside too :)
for over 3 years now. never had a problem. but then we do regular maintenance...

Your problem will be only ONCE.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I've just been looking on Youtube for an example of what an exploding battery would be like and can you believe there is nothing, well other than those deep frying batteries etc

I'd be very interested to know just how big an explosion it would cause.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lead Acid Battery explosion

[video=youtube;d_TnsHu2u4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_TnsHu2u4c[/video]

While it is not close to a thermonuclear explosion when a lead/acid battery explodes, it can be dangerous.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[video=youtube;SAjmpwPCN_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=SAjmpwPCN_A[/video]

When I grew up the word Trojan had a different connotation.:bunny: But here they are a good battery. ;)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I've just been looking on Youtube for an example of what an exploding battery would be like and can you believe there is nothing, well other than those deep frying batteries etc

I'd be very interested to know just how big an explosion it would cause.

Being that you don't live here you have not seen a whole 8X8 building bown to bits. I've seen the after right down the street from me. Guy was lucky and KNEW to put his batteries in a seperate concrete block shed so not to damage anything else. NOTHING LEFT of the battery shed.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Being that you don't live here .

Erm????

Sorry, jumping to conclusions...................

You don't know where I am, only that I have been in Europe for a while doing other things, being that you don't know, don't presume to know anything about where I am or me, thankyou very much.

And what has living here got anything to do with seeing an 8x8 building blown to bits, your sentence does not make sense.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windy,
I thought they only used TWO pairs of rubber gloves at US Airports! Interesting video - something of asales pitch in it though!
Ringo , Sunshinedon
I think the key here is ventilation. Well ventilated enclosures seem to work ok. Perhaps the 8X8 was totally enclosed or had a gas bottle in there too.

Olly and the team

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy,
I thought they only used TWO pairs of rubber gloves at US Airports! Interesting video - something of asales pitch in it though!
Ringo , Sunshinedon
I think the key here is ventilation. Well ventilated enclosures seem to work ok. Perhaps the 8X8 was totally enclosed or had a gas bottle in there too.

Olly and the team

I agree with the sales pitch slant on the video. However, after using several other brand of batteries here, I will stick with either Trojan or US Battery brands. Interstate is the other brand I would consider, but I have no personal experience with them with respect to deep cycle batteries but I use them in automobiles frequently.

Dec 26, 2011

Charging produces hydrogen gas.