Observations 2012

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Almost at the end of another year, what are your observations, changes, improvements, deterioration, decline, discoveries, losses.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I made a major decision in my life to move to the DR.I've learned to adjust to the apagones.
I don't regret making the decision, regardless of the ups and downs.I'm there to stay for a
long,long time.:)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've lost weight, but muscle as well and have got my residency. Next step is a Dominican drivers license and improve my Spanish. World seems to have not improved economically but my situation is secure as is most of my family's. Crime seems to have got worse in Jarabacoa but nothing has affected me personally. I am adaptable so throw it at me, I'll adapt.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Realy, what's been going on?

A number of houses broken in to while people are at work, several colmados broken in to, the Banco Popular robbed in Buena Vista, and several people robbed at gunpoint in Medina (normally a very safe area)...etc. Wherre I live people park their cars on the street overnight without issues.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The government is getting worse. Blackouts getting worse. The peso lost value to the dollar. Pichardo disappeared.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The government is getting worse. Blackouts getting worse. The peso lost value to the dollar. Pichardo disappeared.
My temporary residency process started at 0930 am and I walked out of immigration with my Cedula and immigration ID at 11:45 am. Considering the traffic and distance between the two agencies, I would say the process was very smooth and professional.
There has been very little movement in the peso/dollars exchange rate and it was expected to move upwards after the election.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A number of houses broken in to while people are at work, several colmados broken in to, the Banco Popular robbed in Buena Vista, and several people robbed at gunpoint in Medina (normally a very safe area)...etc. Wherre I live people park their cars on the street overnight without issues.

Oh dear, and to think just last year we didnt even have security bars on our windows and doors until November. Shame, I miss the coldness of Jarabacoa, 5-6am, the best part of the day.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We came (back) in January 2010 and 2012 has been the first year we have been kind of back on track, economically spoken, at least income meets spending.

On a more emotional level we thought and think a lot about going back to Europe, especially due to crime, education, attitude of people in the capital, but I guess this is just part of the big step of moving as a family with small children.

2013 will probably be the decisive year, either we will finally get stable or we do really go back.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Friday DR1 News 30 November

Almost at the end of another year, what are your observations, changes, improvements, deterioration, decline, discoveries, losses.

I was just reading the Friday news.
As much as I like to be positive about the DR the violence committed against Dominicans is appalling and deeply troubling.
Santo Domingo:
Violence victim travels to Miami to try to save one eye
Robbery foiled at Bondelic
Baby present at murder of parents
All suspects under arrest in Evaristo Morales murders under arrest.

This coupled with RD$ 200 billion fiscal deficit, the government and economy makes one re-evaluate choices.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Every year things change, good and bad. Every year I ask myself, do I stay or go. But then I wake up and watch the sunrise over the ocean and think I will stay awhile more.

Let's see...1. Santo Domingo just opened the third or 4th new shopping mall - it's amazing that a country with such high poverty can have so many high end stores that do very well!

2. The Road between Monti Cristi and Dajabon was finally repaved so I don't have to dodge huge potholes or drive on a dirt/gravel road for 30 miles.

3. The streets are still torn up to make way for the Metro on diez y siete.

4. Call centers are still thriving in the capital with one of the largest virtually renting itself out and taking more of a role in managing properties rather than trying to fill the space with projects, leaving room to some pretty big players to enter the market without actually investing in a complete infrastructure.

5. There is now a great new road between Punta Cana and La Romana.

While the infrastructure of the country continues to improve, it all leads to my least favorite observation of 2012

IMPUESTOS!!!!!

The shame of it is that the billions of dollars that have been spent improving the infrastructure will all pretty much turn to rubbish in the next few years due to neglect and little being spent on regular maintenance.

Looking forward to enjoying it all and having a GREAT 2013 before all that happens!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Every year things change, good and bad. Every year I ask myself, do I stay or go. But then I wake up and watch the sunrise over the ocean and think I will stay awhile more.

I hear you.:) I'll stick around and see what happens.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
More development,crime rate has decreased,more security barriers and more job opportunities I have seen as compared to my last visit.Demography has changed and people are more happy and satisfy with the state administration.Concepts about race and gender has changed.Know every one is equal before law.Overall picture is good and people are relatively more happy and secure.

Purple Kush or Northern Lights?