Question about Canadian sponsership

camilla

Oct 30, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to DR1 and first time posting in a forum EVER, so this is all new to me..My husband and I got married on September 4, 2012 and I just submitted our application to Mississauga today via my lawyer.

My question - has anyone sponsored their spouse who had children from a previous relationship, however they were not accompanying your spouse? I was curious if this delayed the approval process. My spouse has 4 children from a previous relationship prior to me and my lawyer said that this can delay the approval process up to 18 months even though we've been in a relationship (on an off) for the last 8 years and have the documents/pictures to prove it.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to DR1 and first time posting in a forum EVER, so this is all new to me..My husband and I got married on September 4, 2012 and I just submitted our application to Mississauga today via my lawyer.

My question - has anyone sponsored their spouse who had children from a previous relationship, however they were not accompanying your spouse? I was curious if this delayed the approval process. My spouse has 4 children from a previous relationship prior to me and my lawyer said that this can delay the approval process up to 18 months even though we've been in a relationship (on an off) for the last 8 years and have the documents/pictures to prove it.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

Welcome to DR1
Many have sponsored a spouse with children and as far as I know this should not delay his application. Make sure they are on his application even though they are not accompanying him.

camilla

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks AnnaC! Phew, that does provide some relief...we did include all th children on the application as well as their medicals however noted that they will not be accompanying my spouse to Canada and will be staying in DR with their mother.

I've been reading all the forums regarding spousal sponsorship to Canada on DR1 and I guess the only thing i can do is just wait and be patient....it's just really hard as we are eager to finally start our lives together and have children of our own. I'm in my mid 30's so I have a small window of opportunity left on my side to have children... :cry:

Miro

Feb 14, 2012
Camilla, He will be required to provide support for those children before he can leave the DR.