One way or open ended ticket

Marquito

Aug 15, 2012
Hello everyone on dr1,

I am planning of coming back down soon and plan on staying for several months. I am not exactly sure when I will becoming back to the states, so buying a round trip ticket doesn't really work for me on this trip. However the lady at the airline says I need one in order to be let into the Dom. Rep. Does anyone know if I can buy a one way ticket or an open ended ticket so that I won't have any issues? Thank you.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Well if you can buy one and they let you travel then do so. You won't get any hassle this end, but they do like to tel you this to get the return sale. It's a lotto, so if you're airline has a reputation for allowing people to board then go for it, if not then it depends on you if it worth the risk.
There are several ways around it, I'm sure someone who has the time will run you through them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The airlines can get into trouble selling you a one way ticket if you are not a DR resident or citizen. Some airlines are diligent about it and others are not.

If you purchase a full fare fully refundable return ticket, you will cover the requirement, and then just ask for a full refund.

Marquito

Aug 15, 2012
I would like to thank you both for responding. Windeguy, I will check into this method. Thanks again.

May 29, 2006
I've found it's MUCH cheaper to buy a round trip and then pay a fee to change the return date. Very often, a one way will cost more than a round trip for both ways. Check your prices well. I find there is often a 3:1 difference for high to low price depending on airline and day of the week you go. Sometimes the number of stops can also affect your price. The shortest route is not always the cheapest.

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We had 1 way tickets Westjet out of Toronto, no problem in June. Booked Air Canada out 2 months later, no probs. Just booked 1 way Air Canada Toronto Jan.6/13 no problems so far.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We had 1 way tickets Westjet out of Toronto, no problem in June. Booked Air Canada out 2 months later, no probs. Just booked 1 way Air Canada Toronto Jan.6/13 no problems so far.

As I mentioned, some airlines are diligent about the return ticket regulation they are supposed to follow and others are not.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
One time my brother got caught on this. He had booked a one way with air canada on the phone but when he went to check in, they demanded he have a return ticket. He had to buy one there on the spot if he wanted to proceed. Better to be safe than sorry.

Feb 7, 2007
You can do two one-way tickets. Buy one way into the DR, cheap, on the airline of your choice.
Then buy another one-way, out of the DR, on a DIFFERENT airline, make this one fully refundable. The different ticket needs not to be into your original point of departure, just out of the DR. (E.g. you're a Canadian, you book on Air Canada Toronto to Punta Cana, for your return you will book a refundable ticket on JetBlue from Santo Domingo to Buffalo, NY, for example.)

Make sure the two tickets are NOT on one airline, or even another airline within the same airline alliance. (e.g. do not book a ticket-in on Air Canada and ticket-out on Continental/United). If you read carefully, most airlines' refund policy and contract of carriage (but hey, who reads those, right?) stipulate that refunds are not permitted if the ticket you are requesting refund on, is used as a prof of return or onward travel.

So, the way to get safely around this, is to have tickets on two different airlines, preferably two which are not in the same airline alliance, or using a low-cost (e.g. Jetblue). Your return ticket WILL be accepted by the boarding airline as proof of onward or return travel, but they have NO way of notating or flagging that reservation and/or ticket because it's not theirs!!

Once in the DR, CALL the second airline to request a refund. Most of the airlines also allow refund requests through a web form. DO NOT go to the airline's office or the ticket counter to request a rfund, BECAUSE then the second airline will know what you are up to. So do NOT pay cash for the ticket, book it with a credit/debit card through the airline's website (tickets bought on the airline websites are the easiest and quickest to get refund on).

Good luck!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The guy at the jetblue counter in Boston, "Busted My BALLS" when I flew from there to the DR last Saturday!!!!!!!!
I had a return DR to Boston on Feb. 9th., but he couldn't seem to find it!!!
After MUCH "Give & Take" a "Miracle" happened, the ignorant bastard found my Feb reservation!
I KNOW he would never have let me on the flight if he hadn;t found it!
I usually book a round trip Bos-SD-Boston when I return to SD.
I book as far into the future as I can, usually 6 or 7 mounths.
I then change that flight if needed.
I book on the jetblue web site.
They have the ticket prices on all flights 6 months in advance.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Marquito

Aug 15, 2012
Again, I want to thank everyone on this site. I now have to blue print to get this done. See you on the other side.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One more idea Marquito, that was floated by here a while ago.

Buy a one way JetBlue or AA ticket to San Juan PR..... cheap, and is 'onward travel' back to the USA

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
You can do two one-way tickets. Buy one way into the DR, cheap, on the airline of your choice.
Then buy another one-way, out of the DR, on a DIFFERENT airline, make this one fully refundable. The different ticket needs not to be into your original point of departure, just out of the DR. (E.g. you're a Canadian, you book on Air Canada Toronto to Punta Cana, for your return you will book a refundable ticket on JetBlue from Santo Domingo to Buffalo, NY, for example.)

Make sure the two tickets are NOT on one airline, or even another airline within the same airline alliance. (e.g. do not book a ticket-in on Air Canada and ticket-out on Continental/United). If you read carefully, most airlines' refund policy and contract of carriage (but hey, who reads those, right?) stipulate that refunds are not permitted if the ticket you are requesting refund on, is used as a prof of return or onward travel.

So, the way to get safely around this, is to have tickets on two different airlines, preferably two which are not in the same airline alliance, or using a low-cost (e.g. Jetblue). Your return ticket WILL be accepted by the boarding airline as proof of onward or return travel, but they have NO way of notating or flagging that reservation and/or ticket because it's not theirs!!

Once in the DR, CALL the second airline to request a refund. Most of the airlines also allow refund requests through a web form. DO NOT go to the airline's office or the ticket counter to request a rfund, BECAUSE then the second airline will know what you are up to. So do NOT pay cash for the ticket, book it with a credit/debit card through the airline's website (tickets bought on the airline websites are the easiest and quickest to get refund on).

Good luck!

Rubio, you are the man! I got caught by this also and didn't think something like this was possible. Kudos!