Este pueblo nuevo no se rinde no se calla

Dec 26, 2011
381982_347379415360255_1962542731_n.jpg

156969_347378752026988_264955253_n.jpg

16172_347378472027016_1751757205_n.jpg

Dec 26, 2011
Are these protesters of the fiscal reforms?

I think that's what got them motivated. But they're expanding their gripes to include the systemic graft and corruption in the country. I think it's great that they're taking an interest in their future.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Still, I'd feel more comfortable if whoever is paying for all this came forward, instead of having handicapped and unemployed do it for him/her...

May 12, 2005
I don't understand the need to wear bandannas over their faces. Gives them the look of they are up to no good.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Chavez? Why would he be interested in Dominican politics? Last I heard he was good friends with the PLD people (i.e. Petrocaribe).

Bandanas and breathing masks are to cover their faces for if/when our illustrious police force shows up to shoot them up with tear gas (and sometimes with real bullets).

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
At least they're protesting. Doesn't matter who paid them. Who pays them not to protest? Maybe it would be more interesting if those who pay them not to protest would step up.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Chavez? Why would he be interested in Dominican politics? Last I heard he was good friends with the PLD people (i.e. Petrocaribe).

You'd be surprised if you ever enter Venezuela's embassy in SD (not the consulate, the embassy). Huge piles of brochures to be handed out in poor neighborhoods. Petrocaribe is just a way to get people to believe in Chavez's model, it has nothing to do with PLD. Petrocaribe is just an evolution of Acuerdo de Caracas in 2000 (Hipolito Presidente here), which in turn was an evolution of Acuerdo de San Jose in 1980 (where Mexico also contributed with oil). So don't think this is a frienship thing. Chavez has alwasy tried to influence and somehow handle the governments around latin america, and uses oil as a way to achieve that. Pretty legit, BTW, as it is the same the US does with World Bank, IMF, etc, and China does with "development funds".

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
...but why would the Venezuelan embassy pay people to protest a government they are friends with?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
...but why would the Venezuelan embassy pay people to protest a government they are friends with?

"Friends" is an undefined term in politics. Chavez doesn't need a "friend" as president in DR, he needs a puppet. Just like he already has in Bolivia (Evo Morales), or Nicaragua (Daniel Ortega) and not quite puppets but very influenced presidents in many other places. DR politics is under heavy influence from the US, and Chavez has always wanted to change that, without success. Why? because he doesn't really know dominicans, I guess. Venezuelan government has paid "public" protests and demonstration at many places in latin america: Honduras, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, you name it. DR is just another one. Create instability in the government in order to bring it down, then you fill that gap and gain control. It's the same old game played by many foreign powers around the world. Only Chavez's country is not a power, more like a power wannabe. Oil refinery, banks and malls is just a spearhead.

Maybe I'm saying too much. I better go get some lunch...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Castle: I understand your point in general, but this does not compute in The DR. The closest to a puppet Chavez can have in The DR is The PLD, so they already have that. Who would replace The PLD that would be even more friendly to Chavez? I don't see anyone in the horizon...so again why would they be paying people to protest their "puppet". If anything, maybe they paid for the counter protesters - The ones defending Leonel.

I may be wrong, but I think these protests are coming from grass root organizations such as toyjarto not like the usual ones paid for by people like Hubieres, etc.

Bronxboy: Give it up dude...you guys lost and you're stuck with Obama for four more years. The Bush tax cuts for the rich are going away and the republicans continue to lose clout. NOW they are starting to "like" us Latinos, but we can see through their BS...An Overture To Latinos, GOP-Controlled House Passes Immigration Bill : The Two-Way : NPR

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Suarezn: Yes, you maybe right. However, the fact that Soto Jimenez called his political party "Quinta Republica" is not a coincidence. That was the name of the original party founded by Chavez. Soto Jimenez was trying to get Chavez support. He didn't get it, needless to say. Candelier at some point tried to reach Chavez, but negotiations fell through. There are some radical lefties who are constantly getting small economical support from Chavez, but they haven't been able to break through. A huge protest, with dead demonstrators included, could rally people around any lucky upcomer and then that lucky guy just might get huge (yet concealed) support from Chavez. That might well explain these protests. That's how Chavez himself rised to power. However, people like Chavez do not believe in democracy, and they prefer military rulers, like himself. He will never support anyone from the establishment, he will go for an underdog, like himself. Uruguay's president campaign posters depicted him and Chavez hugging. You can bet the candidate didn't pay for those posters. PLD presidents (just like all the others) are puppets but for US President (hell, some are even american citizens), not for Chavez. Many things are moving behind curtains in latinamerica (unfortunately for the worse), just not the ones the likes of Nuria, Alicia Ortega and Cavada want us to believe...

But still, that is just one possibility. But whatever the case is, we must not fool ourselves. This is not coming from any spontaneous popular movement. This is paid by people who expect something from this. No popular movement in history has been spontaneous, it is just that when they are succesful the victors cover their tracks...

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chavez uses "Citgo" in the USA to distribute free fuel oil to "Los Pobres" there.
I always find it ironic when I go through Kenmore Sq. in Boston and can't help but see the HUGE lighted "Citgo billboard in the night sky.
99% of "Gringos" have no ides that "Citgo" in Venezuelan.
No need for the people of the DR to worry about Chavez destroying their soverinty their own government is doing a great job so far.
My new catchphrase is, "Just Wait'l Next Year!
The DR gov. is borrowing 1.5 billion pesos from the capital market to pay their underfunded budget for 2013, AND a billion more from Banco Reservas to pay their BLOATED employee "Christmas Bonus"!
HEY!.......... we ALL KNOW they deserve a bonus, after all they did a really great service to the public this year!...Right???...Right????. I Can't Hear You!!!!!!!
(Source Diario Libre Front Page Today)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC