Iberia will close service to SDQ in APR 2013

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Iberia will stop operations to SDQ and HAV from APR 13.

Air Europa is glad to increase fares, now rt ticket SDQ MAD SDQ in APR if from 1535 USD

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wtf? it will be even more difficult to get outta here! so few options for those who need to go to europe and can't or won't go via US...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is terrible news for us. The two main alternatives - Air France via Paris and Air Europa via Madrid - were already much more expensive than Iberia. I dread to think what fares will be like next summer.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I am devastated by this news. II hold a reservation for my annual trip home to the UK for the 1st April 2013 and I am hoping to have it changed to a week earlier or I will be forced to return via the US ie Santiago/New York/London. I have been using Iberia for over 6 years. So so sad that this great airline is in such difficulties but Spain is in a desperate plight right now.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Wow that is bad news to the portuguese guy (me :() Iberia and Air Europa were the only companies that flies directly to SDQ, still have the Pullmantur but they only fly to PUJ:mad:
JT

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This is terrible news for us. The two main alternatives - Air France via Paris and Air Europa via Madrid - were already much more expensive than Iberia. I dread to think what fares will be like next summer.

airberlin (to berlin) and BA (to london) fly from PUJ, if i am not mistaken. maybe they could be a good alternative?

i know i will probably have to settle for airberlin from POP to munich/dusseldorf. there is not much more left...

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
The main reason why Iberia closes this destinations (HAV and SDQ) is high prices for services in DR, VAT 16% for fuel and high taxes. The airline will increase flights to Miami, Mexico, Rio de Janeiro and Santiago de Chile. More than 5 million dollars paid only in 2012 as 16% VAT for fuel. Local government should realize that they already killed aviation industry with those imposible taxes.

Feb 7, 2007
GOL is setting up shop in the DR, and according to some announcements they will open up medium haul routes across Americas and there are also some proposed long haul routes to Europe.

Also a yet-unnamed airline will operate flights between Prague and "Dominican Republic" where exactly yet is unknown, same as unknown is the airline name.

Feb 7, 2007
Going to Europe, Air Berlin and Condor are low cost alternatives to Air France and Air Europa. All 4 offer connecting flights via their respective European hubs to most of major European airports. Plus some no-frills directs, like Arke to Amsterdam and Jetair to Brussels.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one: air berlin is not cheap. i am looking for a ticket to visit family in september and it's over 1200 dollars.
two: condor? i am looking at their website now and i cannot see any departure point in DR.
three: any of this cheap crap like jetair does not serve me well. i need to fly with one airline only for more security (delays and cancellations).

Feb 7, 2007
Condor: departure points Punta Cana, Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo.
You cannot buy on Condor's website for some unexplainable reason, you have to buy through a travel agent or online site like Expedia, for example (any online travel website will do) and only some routes are sold that way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
one: air berlin is not cheap. i am looking for a ticket to visit family in september and it's over 1200 dollars.
two: condor? i am looking at their website now and i cannot see any departure point in DR.
three: any of this cheap crap like jetair does not serve me well. i need to fly with one airline only for more security (delays and cancellations).

Prices will likely come down before September.

Usually, 90 days before travel is the best time to buy...... too far ahead of time means more $$$$

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
You meet people on jetair flights to Brussels who catch a fast train to places in Germany and Switzerland. This can take less time than a connecting flight and they reach a point very near their destination. Travelling by train is good for the environment.
yapask1

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
There goes the Iberia VIP lounge along with the route. The Admiral's Club was shut down not long ago. The place is turning into a backwater again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You meet people on jetair flights to Brussels who catch a fast train to places in Germany and Switzerland. This can take less time than a connecting flight and they reach a point very near their destination. Travelling by train is good for the environment.
yapask1

you are a half wit, i said so many times. i have a SEVERE case of travel sickness. the less time travelling the better. i am not going to take a (non existing) train from brussels to poland. do you know how long that would take? there is no direct line, i would have to change several times. which is exactly what i do not want to do because i am either vomiting my brains out or having whatever brains i have left scrambled and cooked with meds i need to take not to puke.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The main reason why Iberia closes this destinations (HAV and SDQ) is high prices for services in DR, VAT 16% for fuel and high taxes. The airline will increase flights to Miami, Mexico, Rio de Janeiro and Santiago de Chile. More than 5 million dollars paid only in 2012 as 16% VAT for fuel. Local government should realize that they already killed aviation industry with those imposible taxes.

The DR will not realize this. Instead they will increase taxes to try and make up for the lost revenue.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right Windy.

I just bought a ticket - SDQ to Sydney

$2800 ticket - $1300 in taxes... no way I could the trip up to originate in the US to avoid it.
Needed to link the legs together

$354 to the DR and another larger foreign transaction thing

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
354 USD only as ITBIS, there 85 USD more as security taxes, infrastructure and other governmental payments.

It is a pity that they will not realize this situation and will try to get more money from other carries, so more airlines will leave the island.