Moving to the Dominican Republic - all possible suggestions

DaniK

Dec 10, 2012
Hello. I am planning on moving to the DR with my family, as soon as possible. To the Puerto Plata area, Bavaro, Sosua, etc. I dn't know the place yet. I thought about spending sometime there with my husband, renting a villa. I have some hard time finding places to rent per month (most are per night). So far, I could not find any professional or agency specialized in receptiojn and relocation for foreigners. Do they exist? For the people who moved to the DR, what would be the impression? Tips? We don't need to find jobs there, we will keep the same work online, remotely. Is the cost of life there as low as in Santo Domingo (from what I've read)? What about the people?

tballerina

Aug 20, 2009
I live in the Punta Cana area near the Punta Cana International Airport. I lost money with a "professional" agency trying to get ahead of myself before I got here. There is a nice hotel a Sheraton in Punta Cana Village. My suggestion is to stay there or near for a week then come and look around all the for rent places. Call the numbers on the signs and there is your contact. But please do not transfer any money or downpayment to any agency before you actually physically see the villa or apartment.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'll brush past the 'why do you want to live here if you don't know the place' obvious question, and move on to, DON'T USE AND AGENT'. At least not one to show you around, it is quite normal to rent through an agent once you have found a place but do the leg work yourself, agents are full of sh1t and direct you where they feel you fit best or where they have property, which is rubbish on all counts.
You won't find anywhere until you are here, rent a place for a month and hire a car then drive and look.

Don't invest for a few years at least and god luck!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
start from this page. go to home, real estate, rental. you will see some places dr1ers put for rent. this will give you an idea about prices and what to expect.
once you decide on location you can post more specific question: i need a house/apartment in X, no more than $$$, anyone knows anything? and see what people advice/recommend.

forget agencies and all that. once you are here and, again, set on location, find a good lawyer. plenty of recommendations here. a lawyer will handle all the paperwork for you, from rental to residency (if needed).

as for the cost of living, look at the sticky in living section: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html
read all. discard advice by yanandu alias yapask, unless you are married to bear grylls and enjoy hardcore survivalist lifestyle. you will find recent prices of food, costs of bills, advice on how to cut down on spending and generally lots of tips.

DaniK

Dec 10, 2012
I want to live there even without seeing the place probably out of insanity. I've been to the Caribbean recently and I will live there, anywhere, a safe and good place I hope, and all researchs really indicate DR. From the little I read only today, it really seems that agents are not the best option for anything. I really thank for the tips!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Let me understand this, you are moving your family to a third world world country sight unseen solely based upon what Fodor's and The Lonely Planet tell you, all I can say, bring twice the amount of cash you think you will need and a lot of Imodium.

DaniK

Dec 10, 2012
start from this page. go to home, real estate, rental. you will see some places dr1ers put for rent. this will give you an idea about prices and what to expect.
once you decide on location you can post more specific question: i need a house/apartment in X, no more than $$$, anyone knows anything? and see what people advice/recommend.

forget agencies and all that. once you are here and, again, set on location, find a good lawyer. plenty of recommendations here. a lawyer will handle all the paperwork for you, from rental to residency (if needed).

as for the cost of living, look at the sticky in living section: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html
read all. discard advice by yanandu alias yapask, unless you are married to bear grylls and enjoy hardcore survivalist lifestyle. you will find recent prices of food, costs of bills, advice on how to cut down on spending and generally lots of tips.

Thank you!!!! That was precious!! :)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hello.
I am planning on moving to the DR.
I dn't know the place yet.
I thought about spending sometime there with my husband, renting a villa.
I have some
I could not find
We don't need to find jobs
Is the cost of life there as low as in Santo Domingo (from what I've read)?
What about the people?

Sounds like a divorcee got a good settlement.
Alot of 'I' not 'we'.
All the signs of a woman happy to live in Sanksville, obviously she holds the purse, 'I', 'I','I'.
Good on you, but Jamaica is safer these days and the Sanks less dangerous, but good luck with your lottery:tired:
Oh, and the cost of life in SD is never considered low, so maybe do some more poking around.

DaniK

Dec 10, 2012
Haha, you are funny actually. No, I am recently (re)married! And moving there with (a lot of grown up) children, for the happiness of the island. I don't know.... I live in Brazil. Comparing all your costs with ours, I have this feeling that life there is close to paradise. But maybe I should really check the other islands.

DaniK

Dec 10, 2012
I live in the 3rd world. :) So, I don't think the diet there would kill me THAT fast. But let's see the other dangers first, right?

Dec 26, 2011
Let me understand this, you are moving your family to a third world world country sight unseen solely based upon what Fodor's and The Lonely Planet tell you, all I can say, bring twice the amount of cash you think you will need and a lot of Imodium.

Put extra lime on the chicharrones and up your rum consumption to a liter a day and you'll kill most of the parasites. At least the ones in the food.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Alot of 'I' not 'we'.

really, give... when i talk i also use lots of i and me because hell, it's ME talking! :)
maybe dani wears pans in her marriage or maybe her hubby is just too busy and lets her arrange for things?

DaniK

Dec 10, 2012
really, give... when i talk i also use lots of i and me because hell, it's ME talking! :)
maybe dani wears pans in her marriage or maybe her hubby is just too busy and lets her arrange for things?

I'm the one calling shots, all the shots, around.