Latest News On Sosua Bar Revovation

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]At this time the Merengue Club is completely renovated. On Thursday 20 December the famous bachata and merengue band Anthony Santos will do a performance for the reopening of both the Merengue Club and nightclub D'Clasico. On the former site of jeweler Harrisons, next week the new bar Chez Mon Real will be opened. The former bar nightclub Seacrets is also completely rebuilt and now renamed 'City Lights Gentlemens Nightclub' and will soon be inaugurated.[/h] [h=5]City Lights Gentlemens Nightclub[/h]
[h=5]Chez Mon Real[/h] [h=5]Both the bar, nightclub and hotel rooms of the City Lights are completely renewed. In the back of the bar is a swimming pool with a stage constructed for the upcoming sexy shows. Also bar El Flow is being completely transformed. When the new bar will be opened is not yet known. Somewhere mid-December they say optimistic. We will just wait and see.
For the partygoer, there are again plenty of extra features in Sos?a.[/h]

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Looks like the same old Seacrets to me. Are those loose naugahyde covers on the chairs permanent? Classy

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm sorry, please take this with a grain of salt as this is just my completely biased, subjective, and unenlightened opinon, but i do not get the enthusiasm for these bars or nightclubs on Pedro Clisante or nearby streets. I don't get sitting on some bar stool staring at a concrete wall or across the street at another concrete wall--and listening to motoconchos with loud mufflers--scream up and down the street in front of you while some music is blaring so unbelievably loud that your mind starts to hallucinate wildly.

No, really, let me tell you what i really think here...this is not good for Sosua, and this is not some old man here reminiscing about old times and old forgotten days of yore. This is about being enclosed with-in the perimiters of concrete, loud music, loud motorcycles, screaming prostitutes, and without the kaleidoscopic visuals of any saphire blue ocean in front of you like we have here Cabarete or Las Terrenas. But again, this is not to promote these towns over Sosua. This is about nightclubs or bars simply throwing up a new facade and fresh concrete up and declaring a new place is now open. Listen, you're still staring across the street at concrete, you're still subjected to immensely loud music at decible level reaching an F-18 taking off, and you're still staring at concrete walls.

If Sosua wanted to do some dramatic renovation, they would completely renovate the beach front and the land sitting directly behind it and make a beach promenade that rivals Ibiza, Miami, St. Tropez, or even Cabarete or Las Terrenas. But what they got now is just a stupid concrete jungle filled with rushing traffic going past with loud exhausts and the visualizations on par with a run down Barrio.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
One more thing...these new bars or renovated nightclubs are not going to attract new customers from santo domingo, santiago, miami, or new york, instead, all they manage to do is get people to move from one end of the street to another. What you get is the same faces, same people, and same music moved down 100 meters. nothing more.

If you really want to revolutionize the place and attract people from afar, you would need to tear down the beach shacks and completely renovate the beach area from the ground up--all the way up to the street level. Put in some high end boutique hotels over looking Sosua Bay, with big outdoor balconies and nice bars that over-look the beautiful bay--like they have in Ibiza, St. Tropez and even Cabarete and other places--where people sit underneath a canopy of stars overlooking the ocean while listening to nice music.

But what you got now on Pedro Clisante is just a pathetic, amateur, terrible renovation of the same old recipe that has not worked in the past, and will not work in the future.

frank

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i have a new look Rumbas photo but forgot how to post pictures. all the tables and stuff are inside now which will make it a little cramped.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
not at all Kyle, as they have roofed over their carpark and put all the tables that were on the street out there.
Oh, and they knocked out the wall in between the two areas

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Sosua is good for what it's good for.

The red-light district still caters largely to mongers. As it will next year. There are guys who basically save up all their pesos for a few trips a year, because they don't have all that much going on back in the "real world."

So they come and drink, gamble, get a sunburn and get laid. All in the same day. Kinda what folks do over a Vegas weekend. And they don't really care about beaches and mountains and tropical vistas so much as the chica smiling at them who looks just like Eva Mendes used to. At least in their mind.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006

May 29, 2006
Was that the one on the other side of the touristica, or was that Willy's?

I might be thinking of Willy's. It was across the highway past Productos Sosua and near where there is a modern car wash now? It was a long walk or quick moto from the TEXACO. I remember there being well over 600 people with side rooms and a good mix of music. I think it burned down with some rumor that it was payback for getting another club owner set up for possessing coke?? You know Sosua a lot better than I do. That was either my first or second time in Sosua as an adult so it's pretty fuzzy.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is a PM i just got from someone a hell of a lot smarter than me, and with a background in Architecture. I really like his suggestions and have to post them here. I will leave it up to him to decide whether or not to give his name. But these are excellent suggestions; i feel other people should see them:

"You not only nailed it on exactly what Sosua needs (in the bar renovation thread), but I've been thinking the same thing. I have been in const., planning, designing and real estate for a very long time. I actually have a complete plan for Sosua (in my head) that if followed to a T, they would need MORE hotels and restaurants. I've been thinking about laying out the plan for the mayor, but we'll see.

1) a zoning plan for the town (move the PC crowd out near the edge) lights downtown for evening family strolls to restaurants, etc

2) a re-design of the beach - maybe an amphitheater no shacks, new conc. facade for vendors, covered verandas for eating areas, some night lighting, mini PD office, an "event organizer" for international volleyball tournaments and more, maybe a small water slide for kids, etc."

Tailspin

Nov 13, 2012
You are talking two different things here.. A bar doing a redesign is trying to draw potential customers away from the competition. El Flow and Classicos were doing banging business for a a few years then they were doing nothing.. D'latins suddenly becomes the "in" place for no particular reason.. What can a small establishment do with the options presented? Shut down for a bit, Do a quick remodel to generate some buzz and hope that people are tired of the current "in" place and the grand opening helps shift where the crowd congregates at night.