New disabled access ramps

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I saw these ramps on Tiradenes / 27 de Febrero. Good initiative, but I hope they will consider not only making ramps but also clearing the crossing from one ramp to another from pot holes and other obstacles and teach drivers to not stop their cars exactly in the middle between the ramps.

New disabled access ramps

Vice President Margarita Cedeno de Fernandez launched the first set of disabled access ramps on the streets of the capital on Monday 10 December. She took the opportunity to call on local authorities to get involved in the program to install them across the country.

The first 70 ramps, on the streets between Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill and Tiradentes avenues in Santo Domingo, were built by the Presidential Commission to Support Provincial Development, directed by engineer Francisco del Valle Ramirez.

During the ceremony, the Vice President said that ramps like this were needed all over the country and although it was not an expensive project it would mean a lot to the disabled community.

As reported in El Nacional, Ramirez said that each ramp costs between RD$6,000 and RD$7,000 and that they could build around 44,000 depending on the budget.

The National Coordinator of the Association for the Physically Disabled (ASODOFIMO), Miguel Angel Garcia, said that he appreciated the initiative that would make life easier for people with disabilities.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
these were a big waste of money in the usa. it was a good idea but theyover did it in the regulations. Like government employees always do. They have them in locations where no one disabled has been in 50 years hahahah. i love the ones where the parking lot tapered up from the street and wheelchairs did not need a ramp. they city came in and built up the side walk just on the corner with curbs and then cut out the ramp hahahahahah. what bunch of dummies. It was stated that it would have been cheaper to buy everyone a van and wheel chair lift in the entire usa for what it cost the taxpayers.
it is needed but everywhere???????? It will be expensive. they said that in usa. sure one is not, try millions of them

Last edited: