Fun and cheap things to do in Cabarete

EmmaRosa

Dec 14, 2012
Hi everyone

Im going to Cabarete on vacation with my Dominican husband. I have been there once before, but that's 5 years ago already. What fun things (and cheap!!) things can you do around there? My husband is all about surfing and kiting and well...I'm not :ermm:. So I would like to do some things on my own, instead of being on the beach everyday. But I dont have much money (no money for organized excursions anyway), because his family is the main reason we are going. I have heard about Laguna Dudu and El Choco? Are there other fun day activities? Maybe a hiking route or something else?

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Hi,
How about getting a gua gua to another preferably non tourist town(s) and walk around and explore. A ride to Rio San Juan will cost in the region of 70 pesos and it has a Mangrove Lagoon in the centre and a number of surrounding barrios to explore. They are safe no matter how poor. You can eat lunch in a domincan restaurant for about 100 pesos and then maybe try another town. Cabrera or Gasper Hernandez? or take a gua gua or moto concho to the river where you can swim in fresh water. If you go to the river on Sunday you'll be with a number of dominicans who are maybe cooking food on river bank fires, swimming/washing in the river and drinking rum of course. You could take a frying pan and buy a fish or two in Rio San Juan and make your own fire.

EmmaRosa

Dec 14, 2012
Hi les1, thanks for your answer. Rio San Juan is a good idea, i've heard about the Mangrove, but have never been there. Just exploring a barrio is not really for me, I never really know what to do. I need a goal or a route or a certrain point to see or I'm just getting the feeling of 'uh...what am I doing here exactly?' Has nothing to do with the DR, but everything with me :). Do you know any specific thing I can go see there? I love walking and hiking though. Are there any places where u can go hiking (maybe even with signs, so I dont get lost...) We do have a river trip planned with some of his friends and family (as in we said we were gonna do it, but no idea when). We did that last time too and it was so much fun.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
emma, cabarete ain't really cheap :)
but more seriously. take a guagua and come to POP. have a walk around, visit fortaleza on the malecon (100 pesos), maybe go up the mountain in cable car (300 pesos now, i think). stop in la mariposa cafe in the main city square to have coffee and a piece of cake.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
POP Cable Car a "MUST DO"!
I went up about twenty five years ago when it first opened.
Got stuck half way up!!!!
I think they have a generator now.
The "Coolest" part (No Pun Intended) was how really cold it was up on top!
Do It!
Cccccccccccc

May 29, 2006
Eco - Adventure Tours - Iguana Mama, Cabarete Adventure Tours

Dominican Republic Excursions & Tours - Outback Safari Punta Cana, Puerto Plata

I keep trying to do the cable car again in POP but it's always been closed when I get there. Great garden at the top and view of the ocean, and great on hot days to cool off. Last time I was there, there were 1000's of zebra winged butterflies all over the place. The excursions seem kind of pricey, but I think they are worth it if you can afford them.

What about that kiddie park halfway between POP and Sosua? I think there were go carts?

Also look for roadside posters for concerts. Anything at a Car Wash is going to be affordable.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Hi everyone

Im going to Cabarete on vacation with my Dominican husband. I have been there once before, but that's 5 years ago already. What fun things (and cheap!!) things can you do around there? My husband is all about surfing and kiting and well...I'm not :ermm:. So I would like to do some things on my own, instead of being on the beach everyday. But I dont have much money (no money for organized excursions anyway), because his family is the main reason we are going. I have heard about Laguna Dudu and El Choco? Are there other fun day activities? Maybe a hiking route or something else?

Hi Emmarose

I one year, at Christmas went and spent the day in a very poor barrio. Brought toys for the kids and ate and spent the day with a Dominican Family. It made a lasting impression. That was about 5 years BEFORE I started living here , which was 7 years ago !

You would be very impressed with the closeness of the families, the pureness of heart and the excitement the children have for the smallest of gifts.

Anyway , just thought I would share that. I remember it much better than any tour or beach I ever visited as a tourist here.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi everyone

When is your vacation?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi Emmarose

I one year, at Christmas went and spent the day in a very poor barrio. Brought toys for the kids and ate and spent the day with a Dominican Family. It made a lasting impression. That was about 5 years BEFORE I started living here , which was 7 years ago !

You would be very impressed with the closeness of the families, the pureness of heart and the excitement the children have for the smallest of gifts.

Anyway , just thought I would share that. I remember it much better than any tour or beach I ever visited as a tourist here.

She is married to a Dominican so I'm sure she is familar with Dominican family life. Exploring Puerta Plata and doing the Cable Car seem to be easily achieveable cheap excursions.

EmmaRosa

Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for all the responses, playa caleton looks gorgeous! I think we are going to visit some of his family in Las Terrenas too, so we're really close to that beach then. Is it easy to find? Yes I am married to a Dominican, but I have only been to the DR once myself. We stayed with his family then and this time we are gonna stay there again, in the barrio :). We arrive there on christmas eve and we are gonna stay 1 month. I am really excited to see his family, but also to explore the Dominican Republic a bit on my own (last time I went with my husband almost everywhere and he went to the beach a lot).

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there a website where u can sea upcoming concerts in the area? I remember last time we just missed a concert from Anthony Santos, I dont want that to happen again :)

Last edited:

EmmaRosa

Dec 14, 2012
Where exactly is playa Caleton? I googled it and the first thing it showed me was Samana, but now I see there is a Playa Caleton in Rio San Juan and Punta Cana too?

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
When we were in RSJ this past July we went to Playa Preciosa and they were constructing what I assume would be food huts, etc. there. Will have to check the place out next month.:)

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
2 concerts of bachata coming up....Frank Reyes and Zacariah Ferreira, both at the New York ranch. I think FR plays the 30th dec and ZF a week later but hopefully someone will confirm.

Have never been to the NYR myself...does one need to buy tickets beforehand? Will it start at the advertised time or, more likely, several hours later?? Anyone been can fill in details please

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This christmas :)
I will be back in my DR home at the end of the first week of January and thought you may like to visit.... my small farm is near to Sabaneta which is only about 20 minutes from Cabarete. It's a beautiful spot in totally Dominican territory - let me know if you are interested.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
Hi, Rio San Juan is a great idea, small and the people are very friendly you can have a bit to eat at the Restaurant Chris the cost for a good meal is about less than 100 pesos.