Carnival Masks from the Dominican Republic

May 29, 2006
How much do they cost in the towns with Carnival? I tried to buy a mask in Sosua once at a tourist shop and they wanted $100, which I figure is about 5 times what it costs to get one in La Vega.

I'd like to see a video of how they are made. Looks like a form for the face and horns and then they add the spikes afterwards.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hi Peter. It depends on the intricacy and details. The small ones usually range from $20 to $50 each. The larger ones start at about $50 and up. Those prices are if you buy them in the small towns like La Vega, Bonao or Santiago. At the airports they raise the prices at least double and don't always have the variety you would find in those towms I mentioned.
They have become much more popular as a souvenir and the prices have gone up.
I have watched them being made and each one is hand crafted, not from a mold, and made from paper mache.

May 29, 2006
My other concern at the time was trying to get it back home without damaging it. I like the more traditional kinds with basic red yellow and orange. I went to a Carnival when I was little kid and they were all wearing outfits made from colored chicken feathers back then. They also were hitting little kids(including me) with inflated pig bladders tied to sticks!