Lawyer has our Original Documents

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I need some advice. Our lawyer processed our cedulars but has refused to return our original birth certs and marriage cert. She keeps making excuses that they are in the SD immigration office and she will get them next week. Next week should have been two years ago!!!
We went to Immigration in SD and they told us they do not have docs there and this is a well known tactic that lawyers use so you must use them for your renewal which of course we did because our temp cedulars were expiring.
How can we get our ID's back? Any tips?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well, i don't know why you had to hand in your original certificates in the first place
It's required.

I'd just get another copy from the issuing state and have it apostilled.

Not very painful...

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
The local justice offices kept my original divorce papers and my birth certificate when I got married and my husband's cousin was the lawyer who took care of it for us... she had to go down to the civil justice office and argue with them to at least give me back my birth cert... I got it back with holes in it from where they put in on file...which BTW renders it invalid in Canada... It's better to make certified true copies of originals and get them notorized in DR whenever possible...