Police corruption in Santo Domingo

Devilboy

Dec 16, 2012
Visitors beware.... You don't need to be wary of the so-called bandits in the Dominican Capital. Be wary of the Police (National, et. Al.). Of the over 9 visits I have made here, it is getting increasingly more difficult to walk the streets at night in the colonial zone without being accosted by so-called officers of the law for handouts (Sabes que me debes m?o tambi?n, y mi cumple era la semana pasada. El foto incluyo es los regalos que trae para ti...).

They stop you for no reason, ask for ID, then proceed with the shakedown. It is appalling that this practice continues so blatantly in an area that relies so heavily on tourism.

This activity needs to stop. If it happens to you, get as much information from the official who is harassing you, and report it you your consulate or embassy.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you want to promote tourism in another country better say what it has to offer instead of talking bad about the competition.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Friday night while driving up Churchill around 9:30pm. Two PN on a bike pull up beside me and ask me to roll down the window (passenger side) I didn't as could hear them, they insinuated I was talking on the phone and I needed to pull over. I told them NO and they tried to wave me over-I took a sharp left and went the other way and they couldn't keep up and didn't try to hard.
Later on the way home on Malecon around Gomez, a quasi roadblock and was waved over for no reason, I didn't even slow down-kept going...
Don't trust any of these guys, but it is appalling how hard they try to screw and steal from us.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
In some of the barrios. Be ware. They stop you, ask for 5 mil pesos and lock you up for the day if you do not pay. They do this to people driving to enter the barrios.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Visitors beware.... You don't need to be wary of the so-called bandits in the Dominican Capital. Be wary of the Police (National, et. Al.). Of the over 9 visits I have made here, it is getting increasingly more difficult to walk the streets at night in the colonial zone without being accosted by so-called officers of the law for handouts (Sabes que me debes m?o tambi?n, y mi cumple era la semana pasada. El foto incluyo es los regalos que trae para ti...).

They stop you for no reason, ask for ID, then proceed with the shakedown. It is appalling that this practice continues so blatantly in an area that relies so heavily on tourism.

This activity needs to stop. If it happens to you, get as much information from the official who is harassing you, and report it you your consulate or embassy.

16 trips to sd as gringo as they come....barely an issue, it happens but it helps to hang with Dominicans....why else be here after all if not to surround yourself with local friends?

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
Reading DR1 it appears that there is a lot of corrupt police around DR. I’ll take your word for it, but during my all too brief stay I had absolutely no negative interaction with cops. I look as gringo as they come, and there were plenty of opportunities for a shakedown. It might have been luck on my part, but wonder if I just didn’t fit the profile. I thus assume that the cops shake down people selectively.

For the benefit of other readers, can someone please post what the cops are looking for in a gringo that they target for a shakedown?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i had the same problem when they said i ran a stop sign lol. there was nothing there when i drove by but they said give them 800 pasos i said take me to jail then they finally let me go i then said hey if you wanted beer money just ask i gave them 200 pasos then the next day they did the same thing then my Dominican girl friend came from the store and left in a hurry to find out her father is a captain

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012

I don't know what to think of this!

I remember being pulled aside during the day in El Conde for no reason and they asked for my passport, I made them understand that a passport is to big to fit my pockets and I was only getting some food.

I don't know if it was because I started to act up like I always do when it comes to situations like this, but they let me go. And this happened a couple of times before.

My point is, at no point I was under the impression they did it for the money!

Maybe when I acted like I was scared or a complete idiot they could try me, but I made sure I wasn't pleased with them bothering me.

So I don't know about all the other stories where tourist did pay the police, but not once I was under the impression it was the reason I was being stopped.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, to those who it personally hasn't happened to yet, stick around long enough and it too will happen to you. Whatever you do, I'd advise you not to take these personal tales being told in this thread too lightly. It JUST happened to me in Santo Domingo last weekend, turning left off of Expreso 27 de Febrero and Av. Maximo Gomez.

I was driving late at night coming back from Av. Venezuela, headed to my hotel in Gazcue. After waiting for the light to change to green, I calmly made my left turn onto Maximo Gomez where we ran into a police checkpoint. They already had another car pulled over. I don't recall seeing a police car, but do remember seeing a couple of police motorcycles (blue lights, etc.). We were not speeding, nor swerving, nor playing loud music. No danger to anyone, nor public nuisance. Just ready to go to bed really.

(Quick background, I speak really good Spanish (not perfect) and I have been traveling to the DR and several Latin American countries for close to a decade. This was my 3rd time driving in the DR, but I pretty much knew my way around. On this trip, I was accompanying 2 friends who live in the same US city as me, but are originally from Spain and Jamaica, respectively. They were newbies to the DR, 1st time in the country. This is what they experienced. Great PR.)

So, we are waved over to the curb by the policemen who has physically blocked advancing down Maximo Gomez. I say nothing. He asks for documents for the car. I oblige. He says that I was pulled over at 3:30 am in the night for "driving without a seatbelt and that the fine would be 2500 pesos at the police station." I say, okay let's go to the station. I immediately stop my Jamaican friend from speaking in English. The officer begins to talk to my Spanish friend, then opens the backdoor and lets himself in and tells me to drive. He stops me a few blocks down on Maximo Gomez, maybe right near the US Embassy.

The shakedown talk begins. According to him, we could just pay the "fine" to him and not have to go to the station. My 2 friends are more worried about getting busted (for nothing) than the shakedown money. I then just say, give him 1000 pesos and that's it. The police officer, I swear to God (something I usually refrain from doing), counters by saying that 1000 pesos isn't enough to split among the 4 officers, and that he needs to take back more. We give him our "final" counter of 1500 pesos or we'll just drive to the police station back down the road and settle it there. He reluctantly accepts it, returns the car's documents, and jumps out of the car, still just a few blocks away from the intersection where he pulled us over, and walks back up looking for the next unfortunate victim.

I haven't posted on this website in years, but have lurked. I figured the board would benefit from this experience. This occurred on the night of Thursday, Dec. 27th or Friday morning, the 28th at approx. 3:30 -4:00 am.

Next time, I will not stop and if they persist to chase, I will calmly continue to drive right down the malecon into the Jaragua or Intercontinental complex and handle it there. Sucks that these are decisions that have to be made when dealing with police in the DR.

Other than this, we had a great time and enjoyed the trek from Santo Domingo to Cabarete, by way of the new highway, through Nagua, Cabrera and Rio San Juan. I even ventured up into the campo to attend a baseball series played by some family friends. Sucks that this did happen, however.

Hope this helps someone.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
Yeah, to those who it personally hasn't happened to yet, stick around long enough and it too will happen to you. Whatever you do, I'd advise you not to take these personal tales being told in this thread too lightly. It JUST happened to me in Santo Domingo last weekend, turning left off of Expreso 27 de Febrero and Av. Maximo Gomez.

I was driving late at night coming back from Av. Venezuela, headed to my hotel in Gazcue. After waiting for the light to change to green, I calmly made my left turn onto Maximo Gomez where we ran into a police checkpoint. They already had another car pulled over. I don't recall seeing a police car, but do remember seeing a couple of police motorcycles (blue lights, etc.). We were not speeding, nor swerving, nor playing loud music. No danger to anyone, nor public nuisance. Just ready to go to bed really.

(Quick background, I speak really good Spanish (not perfect) and I have been traveling to the DR and several Latin American countries for close to a decade. This was my 3rd time driving in the DR, but I pretty much knew my way around. On this trip, I was accompanying 2 friends who live in the same US city as me, but are originally from Spain and Jamaica, respectively. They were newbies to the DR, 1st time in the country. This is what they experienced. Great PR.)

So, we are waved over to the curb by the policemen who has physically blocked advancing down Maximo Gomez. I say nothing. He asks for documents for the car. I oblige. He says that I was pulled over at 3:30 am in the night for "driving without a seatbelt and that the fine would be 2500 pesos at the police station." I say, okay let's go to the station. I immediately stop my Jamaican friend from speaking in English. The officer begins to talk to my Spanish friend, then opens the backdoor and lets himself in and tells me to drive. He stops me a few blocks down on Maximo Gomez, maybe right near the US Embassy.

The shakedown talk begins. According to him, we could just pay the "fine" to him and not have to go to the station. My 2 friends are more worried about getting busted (for nothing) than the shakedown money. I then just say, give him 1000 pesos and that's it. The police officer, I swear to God (something I usually refrain from doing), counters by saying that 1000 pesos isn't enough to split among the 4 officers, and that he needs to take back more. We give him our "final" counter of 1500 pesos or we'll just drive to the police station back down the road and settle it there. He reluctantly accepts it, returns the car's documents, and jumps out of the car, still just a few blocks away from the intersection where he pulled us over, and walks back up looking for the next unfortunate victim.

I haven't posted on this website in years, but have lurked. I figured the board would benefit from this experience. This occurred on the night of Thursday, Dec. 27th or Friday morning, the 28th at approx. 3:30 -4:00 am.

Next time, I will not stop and if they persist to chase, I will calmly continue to drive right down the malecon into the Jaragua or Intercontinental complex and handle it there. Sucks that these are decisions that have to be made when dealing with police in the DR.

Other than this, we had a great time and enjoyed the trek from Santo Domingo to Cabarete, by way of the new highway, through Nagua, Cabrera and Rio San Juan. I even ventured up into the campo to attend a baseball series played by some family friends. Sucks that this did happen, however.

Hope this helps someone.

I'm going to read more into these stories but people are on some bull****! For real!

I once been arrested with a Dominican friend of mine, we needed to go to the police station. After emptying my pocket and whatever as soon as they wrote down my details the gave my ID back and I could leave the station. Cos I'm from Europe (or a non-Dominican resident). My friend needed to spend the night tho.

With this being said, that was the only time I never acted up against the police because I was in the wrong regardless. Other than that, I can't believe that once you've being stopped that when you not pay them they'll put a bullet inside of you! HELL NO!

I'm not saying that us tourists are like Gods over there, but these non ranked police officers might trick you to believe that they got the power! But believe me you should go with them to see their upper ones to tell the story with force!

The shakedown talk begins. According to him, we could just pay the "fine" to him and not have to go to the station.

Long story short, you need to understand that tourism is a big thing in Santo Domingo! Once word goes out about these tactics or a tourist getting killed by police you have no idea what that would do to tourism -> politicians go to upper officer -> upper officer goes to non ranked police officer -> you having less stress.

And yeah, it's a know fact that police in these kind of countries are a bit shady but it's up to you when talking to the upper ones to make your point.

Aks the Aruba government what that whole Nathalee Holloway fiasco did to them.

When you're wrong you're wrong, when you're right.. try them! Unless someone could give me a link of a tourist being shot by police for not paying a fine.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I posted this is another thread - s/b here
I'm not angry, I understand and accept a certain amount of profiling but I certainly get better treatment after they see my cedula and RD licence.

I find pre-Christmas is a busier than normal time.

My incident took place in Valle de Este.... not gringoland - for sure.
I bet I was the only foreigner for miles

I was chosen specifically.
I bet very few others had up to date insurance, marbeta, etc.
I was clean as a whistle------thankfully

As I was leaving SD yesterday afternoon, I always screw up the roundabout heading east and get thrown into a barrio...Italian name I think.
I just keep going until I can turn south again to get back on Las Americas.

So, there I am waiting in a line of cars to make my turn... Mr White Face me.
Every other car is RD, different body panels, no matching wheels, listing to one side....typicos coches.

Finally, The PN steps out to stop traffic and wave us through... I make my right turn and he puts his hand on my windshield.
OK..... Seguro and ownership......... I hand them over
Licence........I give him my copy.......oh no, needs the originale....OK - But I hate doing that.
I hardly ever stop but he got me this time.

He checks everything and gives it all back except the insurance card.
He walks to the rear.... now accompanied by his pal.
I suppose he was checking the tag.

I ask for my paper back - he gives it to me and waves me on.

Now what was that all about?
I checked my watch - just after 1pm or so -- they should have already eaten - no need for me to spring for 100DRP each for a meal.
I can't see why I was stopped other than being the only right turn in the line - or the only gringo.

Go figure.
And they were sour faced dicks too... not nice people.

Just adding to the rant.......

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I'm going to read more into these stories but people are on some bull****! For real!

I once been arrested with a Dominican friend of mine, we needed to go to the police station. After emptying my pocket and whatever as soon as they wrote down my details the gave my ID back and I could leave the station. Cos I'm from Europe (or a non-Dominican resident). My friend needed to spend the night tho.

With this being said, that was the only time I never acted up against the police because I was in the wrong regardless. Other than that, I can't believe that once you've being stopped that when you not pay them they'll put a bullet inside of you! HELL NO!

I'm not saying that us tourists are like Gods over there, but these non ranked police officers might trick you to believe that they got the power! But believe me you should go with them to see their upper ones to tell the story with force!

Long story short, you need to understand that tourism is a big thing in Santo Domingo! Once word goes out about these tactics or a tourist getting killed by police you have no idea what that would do to tourism -> politicians go to upper officer -> upper officer goes to non ranked police officer -> you having less stress.

And yeah, it's a know fact that police in these kind of countries are a bit shady but it's up to you when talking to the upper ones to make your point.

Aks the Aruba government what that whole Nathalee Holloway fiasco did to them.

When you're wrong you're wrong, when you're right.. try them! Unless someone could give me a link of a tourist being shot by police for not paying a fine.

The word has gotten out a long time ago but there's nothing being done about it. It's the culture, you DO need to understand that! ;)

Dec 26, 2011
I will never pull over for a Dominican cop on foot. Never. It's idiocy.

Uno montado, par?ndose pa' que le joda un pariguayo hambriento. No, gracias.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will never pull over for a Dominican cop on foot. Never. It's idiocy.

Uno montado, par?ndose pa' que le joda un pariguayo hambriento. No, gracias.

Generally, thats my rule too.... but this time he physically had his hand on my car - risking injury.

I've had two of them chase on a a moto..... never stopped for them.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
. . . If it happens to you, get as much information from the official who is harassing you, and report it you your consulate or embassy.

Good idea, Americans excepted. The U.S. Embassies are usually staffed with the rudderless young of America's privileged classes and led by chinless careerists. They're more likely to put you on a watch list than follow through on your complaints.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
The reason they do it is because some people respond in the manner described by bizzyboneizo and toneloc24. I've been involved in more than half a dozen obvious shakedowns, and once I've made it clear I'm not paying they've always given up. They've used all the above mentioned tactics, all different times of day, alone and with a car full of Dominicans, and it never took 30 minutes to convince them. I've also been involved in more than a dozen legitimate checkpoint stops, as described by WW, with no attempts to panhandle. By the way, Maximo Gomez is a popular spot for them, and once when I was turning right onto it from Jose Contreras a PN, going down the hill on Maximo, did an immediate u-turn on seeing me. I pulled into the Courtyard, my hotel, before I could be stopped, and the PN slowed to watch a disappointed look on his face. I think pulling into any hotel parking lot as a safe harbor may be a viable tactic on late night jaunts down Maximo, but I prefer to avoid it after 7PM if at all possible. I, like CC, like to be safely tucked away for the night at that hour.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've been involved in more than half a dozen obvious shakedowns, and once I've made it clear I'm not paying they've always given up.
I can't say it's dozens, but I also make it clear I'm not going to five them $$$. But I use the "no habla Espanol" at the same time with a big smile.

We've been through checkpoints and showed papers with no problems.

WW, never had one require an original.