Dominicans in NYC

irislopez55

Dec 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

My name is Iris Lopez and I am currently a college senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara. This past summer, I studied abroad in the Caribbean and had the amazing opportunity to visit the Dominican Republic. I absolutely loved it and as a result I decided to do my senior thesis on the Dominican community. The working title of my thesis so far is "Reconstructing Racial Identity: The Racial Experience of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in New York." The purpose of my research is to explore the racial experiences of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans in the United States. I believe that due to the differing views of race in the Caribbean and the United States, these communities have a unique racial experience. In order to complete my research, I need to conduct interviews and would HIGHLY appreciate volunteers to be part of this project. I am looking for first, second or third generation Dominicans living in any of the five boroughs of NYC who are least 18 years of age. Interviews would be conducted over the phone or via the internet. If anyone would like more information or is interested in participating, you can contact me by responding to this thread. I would greatly appreciate your help! Happy Holidays to everyone! :)

Thanks!

Iris Lopez
Senior Undergraduate| University of California, Santa Barbara
Political Science and Sociology Undergraduate

Last edited by a moderator:

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Volunteer

Iris, glad to meet you.

You can hit me up and i'll contribute with my experience if its useful to you.

I don't know what "i am" since i came to the US when i was 12 but im 32 now.

Let me know what you need you can message me your info and i'll give you my cell.

Cheers

Principe

Thank you! I truly appreciate it! :)

Mar 1, 2009
What?!! Do you have something against Dominicans from Newark NJ? We are in the same area and the experience with the Boricua's, blacks and anglo's are just as diverse as the one's my New York brethren have uhm...Enjoyed. I'm first generation American just so ya know.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
jajaja No one likes you if you are from NJ jajajajajaja I lived in Newark what a dump

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
i don't watch any of the biased pbs crud...they are all liberals

M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...!!
Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry.
Q: Not at all.
M: Thank You.
(Under his breath) Stupid git!!