Hi everyone!

irislopez55

Dec 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

My name is Iris Lopez and I am currently a college senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara. This past summer, I studied abroad in the Caribbean and had the amazing opportunity to visit the Dominican Republic. I absolutely loved it and as a result I decided to do my senior thesis on the Dominican community. The working title of my thesis so far is "Reconstructing Racial Identity: The Racial Experience of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in New York." The purpose of my research is to explore the racial experiences of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans in the United States. I believe that due to the differing views of race in the Caribbean and the United States, these communities have a unique racial experience. In order to complete my research, I need to conduct interviews and would HIGHLY appreciate volunteers to be part of this project. I am looking for first, second or third generation Dominicans living in any of the five boroughs of NYC who are least 18 years of age. Interviews would be conducted over the phone or via the internet. If anyone would like more information or is interested in participating, you can contact me by responding to this thread or through e-mail at . I would greatly appreciate your help! Happy Holidays to everyone! Thanks!

Iris Lopez
Senior Undergraduate| University of California, Santa Barbara
Political Science and Sociology Undergraduate

if you want to contact the OP, click on her name and send a privated message

Last edited by a moderator:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Your thesis sounds like a very interesting topic. I am often amazed how open and comfortable Dominican's are with all skin colors and relationships involving, what Americans would cal,l inter-racial relationships. As a Dominican, whether your skin is light, dark or in between there doesn't seem to be a distinction made. Dominicans, are definitely comfortable in their own skin. Good luck.

LTSteve

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
"bem vinda" welcome to the forum;), I hope that the members of the forum may be a help in your interesting thesis, good luck:classic:

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Greetings Iris:

I strongly suggest you find a way to contact Junot Diaz. He is a Pulitzer Prize winning author, and recipient of the MacArthur "Genius" award. He was born in the D.R. but grew up in Washington Heights, I believe. His works of fiction tear through the cultural and racial threads of the history of the D.R.. He has a huge following, and I believe you could find a large pool of volunteers through him, or his Facebook page.

As for your studies.....a commanding subject. Reading this guy's books should give you an informed voice, somewhere between a poet and a journalist. Much of his work has the Jerz/NYC as the setting. Please let us know of your progress

Neural

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Hi Iris; Santa Barbara is one beautiful city. Interesting subject, Ltsteve's post is pretty accurate. I served in the Army with a Puerto Rican, he was almost 100 % black, when one of the latinos in our group advised (kidding)him to hang out with the blacks instead ( we had our own ethnic groups) he said he was not black that he was Puerto Rican.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I find Steve's post completely inaccurate. Seems to me that he missed some subtleties in Dominican culture.
@porkman : nationality and the color of your skin don t have to be mutually exclusive. I am French AND black. :smoke:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Sorry Steve", Dominicans are VERY concerned with the color of "Their", or anyone else's skin!!!!
I won't go into "Why", except to say it has a lot to do with denial of their African Roots.
I don't know if you are playing "Make Nice" for fear of offending the "OP", or if it's just your "PC" side showing.
She wants her thesis to actually represent real life.
Otherwise it has no value to anyone!
Do you know the phrase, "Mejorando La Raza"??????
I don't know if it is used exclusively by Dominicans, or if it is generally used among "Latino Americanos".
Says a LOT!!!
Cris Colon

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Dominicans are very aware about skin color. Lighter skin tone more acceptable in. Certain situations.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Dominica/American 10 year old daughter, was recently voted "Queen" of 5 parishes in Santo Domingo.
All the girls in the "Court" were really striking!
All but one of the girls were "Morenitas".
"La Blanca" won.
She is always the girl chosen to "Star" in school activities, and any "Dance Classes" she is part of.
She was the "Prima Balerina" last Friday night in her dancing school,s Christmas Presentation.
I would love to take credit for her many success' in her short life, but I can't.
Except for my generous contribution to, "Mejorando La RAZA"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If someone not living here were to see TV commercials, and the "Society section of the Newspapers from the DR, they
would think the "above" were from "New Zealand".
Although,in my opinion,Anecdotes $UCK, here comes one anyway!
About 25 years ago, I was "Dating" a very dark skinned "Dominicana"
She had a 6 or 7 year old daughter.
I bought her an "African/American "Barbie Doll" in Boston, and brought it here.
When my friend saw the "Brown Barbie" she was upset!
Why did you buy a "Dark One???" she asked, "Nobody wants "Black Dolls!"
"Live and Learn"
I later found out that in studies with young American "Black Kids", the girls overwhelmingly choose "White Dolls" as "Prettier, and more "Desirable" than their black counterparts.
All black children, when shown a series of both "Black" and "White" people, almost 100% chose the "White" person.
We, "OLD WHITE MEN" have done a "great job" of brainwashing "Blacks" of all ages into thinking that they are "inferior", and/or don't deserve what "Whites" do.
The "studies" I used were from many years ago, I can only HOPE that things have changed, and are yet changing.
The "Demographics" of the "White World" are changing!
When we "whites" become the minority in the world, and are discriminated against, we will be the first to cry:,"Discrimination", and we want to be compensated!
I won't be around on that day, but I am preparing my "Mixed Race" children so they will be!
We run a "Color Blind" household.
At least inside our house everone is treated as an EQUAL!
Well, except my two young daughters, They have "Papi Gordo" wrapped around, ALL their fingers!!!
Dominicans will deny that a person's "Color" makes any difference, either "Pro", or "Con" in Dominican society.
Foreigners, who desperately desire to NEVER say ANYTHING that is Not "PC", follow that lead!
The real truth is, Color makes a HUGE difference in all Dominican's lives.
In A "Nut Shell", it goes like this!
If you are "White", you are "alright!"
If you are "Brown", you can "Hang Around!"
and, "If you are "Black", just get back!!!!!!"
I'm Old, so I am free to post whatever I want!
I never post anything to be "PC", I only post "anything" to be honest!
Honest to me, maybe not to everyone!
But then, I really don't Give A $hit", about "EVERYONE"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC