Major Harm From Loud Music Not Listed - Hearing Loss

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
Turn down the music

Bautista Rojas Gomez, Minister of the Environment and Natural Resources, has asked the public, especially owners of bars, colmados and discotheques, not to turn up music too loud during the Christmas and New Year period, as it is a special time for families to appreciate the environment and the natural resources the country has to offer such as zoos, botanical gardens, green areas, beaches and rivers.

He said that loud music was an aggression against the environment and that it was also against the law, and caused health problems such as stress, anxiety, depression, sleep deprivation, heart problems, lowered productivity at work, and lack of attention from students in schools.

Rojas Gomez reminded the public that the Law relating to the Environment and Natural Resources prohibits loud music at all times, with a maximum level of decibels during the day at 45 to 55 and during the night of 35 to 40.

When ever a person experiences ringing in their ears after exposure to loud sounds of any kind, they have incurred permanent hearing loss.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
He should include loud music from cars, too. This morning I was stuck in traffic side by side with a POS car playing "music" so loud that my car windows vibrated to the beat. The guy driving the car was moving his head also to the beat. This guy's demeanor and the way he moved his head made me think at least twice about Darwin's theory.

Dec 26, 2011
stress, anxiety, depression, sleep deprivation, heart problems, lowered productivity at work, and lack of attention

This takes a very real toll on those exposed to it on a daily basis.

The phrase "I can't even here myself think comes to mind".

May 12, 2005
Huh? What?

pic-dump-281-10.jpg

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
getting noise'proof' windows today for the bedrooms, while we happen to have a neighbor that now and then plays his music so loud I feel like living in a disco. He actually has been quiet for about 5 months now, but I'm sure that the moment I decide to spend the money on something else he will start playing his music again.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
A sound level of 90 db or more for 15 minutes or longer WILL cause a permanent hearing loss.

The sound level of a normal conversation is about 65 db so 40 db is quite a low level.

My sound level meter only goes down to 60 db.

A jet engine is 135 db. The threshold of pain is 138 db.

6 inches from the breech of 105 mm Howitzer at charge 7 is 178 db.

That is 10,000 (10^4) times more intense than the threshold of pain. Gunners do not normally stand that close to the breech!

DS

Last edited:

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Among the worst offenders in the D.R. for sound polution are the "carwashes" and the sound systems in the hands of the entertainment staff at the various A.I. hotels...........
Sr. Gomez, Minister of the Environment and Natural Resources, does well to issue this public service announcement.
Education is where it all begins.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Turn down the music

Bautista Rojas Gomez, Minister of the Environment and Natural Resources, has asked the public, especially owners of bars, colmados and discotheques, not to turn up music too loud during the Christmas and New Year period, as it is a special time for families to appreciate the environment and the natural resources the country has to offer such as zoos, botanical gardens, green areas, beaches and rivers.

He said that loud music was an aggression against the environment and that it was also against the law, and caused health problems such as stress, anxiety, depression, sleep deprivation, heart problems, lowered productivity at work, and lack of attention from students in schools.

Rojas Gomez reminded the public that the Law relating to the Environment and Natural Resources prohibits loud music at all times, with a maximum level of decibels during the day at 45 to 55 and during the night of 35 to 40.

When ever a person experiences ringing in their ears after exposure to loud sounds of any kind, they have incurred permanent hearing loss.

i would like to express some thoughts on this subject, but i will restrain myself, in the interest of harmony. the last time i stated that the DR is entirely too loud for human beings, Chip tore me a new a**hole, saying that Dominicans do not care for silence, and i should get used to it. his deliver was far more confrontational and bellicose than i put it here, but that is the gist.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This takes a very real toll on those exposed to it on a daily basis.

The phrase "I can't even here myself think comes to mind".

most of the producers of the decibels can't hear themselves think, either. that is because, more often than not, they do not think.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have nothing against the loudness of the music, I do however detest poor quality of loud music, and with every speaker on the island being blown from new, distortion is a real offender. The taste and repeatative nature of the music s also quite depressing after 10 minutes. Bachata on the beach is great and mood setting, but the fact it follows me around everywhere drives me insane, I hate it, infact for a country that claims to be so in touch with music, they restrict themselves massively and know very little about the production or what quality actually is. He'd be better off just banning music and giving everyone an ipod.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there are no speakers on the island. there are roughly hewn particle board boxes, with raw drivers in them, which can be made to produce raucous and irritating cacophonies. nobody has a clue how to make a speaker here. every one is built just like the other, which tells me that they all have the same design flaws. i tried to show some guys how to build a decent speaker, but many Dominicans cannot be taught anything new, because they know everything already. i gave up. i actually brought ten pairs of crossovers here, and offered to give them away, free of charge, to anyone who had any interest in making a quality speaker. i gave eight pairs away, and nobody bothered to even try them, even though it is a half hour's worth of work to install them. why, you ask? because they know more about the subject than guys who design crossovers.

Dec 26, 2011
I have nothing against the loudness of the music, I do however detest poor quality of loud music, and with every speaker on the island being blown from new, distortion is a real offender. The taste and repeatative nature of the music s also quite depressing after 10 minutes. Bachata on the beach is great and mood setting, but the fact it follows me around everywhere drives me insane, I hate it, infact for a country that claims to be so in touch with music, they restrict themselves massively and know very little about the production or what quality actually is. He'd be better off just banning music and giving everyone an ipod.

When I returned home from my first trip to RD(early 90's), I was enamored with merengue. But as you say, the repetitive nature soon gets to you. Same goes for bachata. It's a shame. Of the thousands of talented groups/bands/artists out there to be enjoyed, they allow themselves to be limited to such a narrow spectrum.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I returned home from my first trip to RD(early 90's), I was enamored with merengue. But as you say, the repetitive nature soon gets to you. Same goes for bachata. It's a shame. Of the thousands of talented groups/bands/artists out there to be enjoyed, they allow themselves to be limited to such a narrow spectrum.

simple answer, pollogringo. if one guy does something, and it works, then everyone copies it, as best he or she can. ergo, a guy makes a hit song, the next guy comes along with something equivalent. i once asked a bandleader in New York why every merengue band uses a Korg M1 keyboard. his answer was that it made the " right "sound!! yes! a freaking synthesizer, which is programmable! he had no interest in doing anything new, creative, and unique. it had to be like everyone else. that is why every bachata song sounds just like every other. heard one, you've heard them all.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What?

All kidding aside, it is not only harmful, it is down right annoying. In Oct I was trying to have dinner at an outdoor restaurant and some A--hole was next door at the convenience store with his one man party truck with speakers big enough for a Black Sabbath concert, blasting music for the people partying and anyone else who was "fortunate" enough to be in his decibel range. For some reason the restaurant owners did not want to tell him that he might be disturbing the rest of the world. What is it about louder is better. I think this is some sexual inadequatecy rearing its ugly head. Excuse the pun.

LTSTeve

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think this is some sexual inadequatecy rearing its ugly head. Excuse the pun.
LTSTeve

Actually I hear loud music is related to male erectile disfunction. So I gess they turn the music up because they have problem getting everything else up...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What?

All kidding aside, it is not only harmful, it is down right annoying. In Oct I was trying to have dinner at an outdoor restaurant and some A--hole was next door at the convenience store with his one man party truck with speakers big enough for a Black Sabbath concert, blasting music for the people partying and anyone else who was "fortunate" enough to be in his decibel range. For some reason the restaurant owners did not want to tell him that he might be disturbing the rest of the world. What is it about louder is better. I think this is some sexual inadequatecy rearing its ugly head. Excuse the pun.

LTSTeve

actually, my assessment is that it has to do with the Dominican idea of LOOK AT ME. i have sat at tables near to the roadside, having a few beers, when some buttwipe comes and parks right in front of us, and turns his noisemaker up, full bore. he then gets out of the vehicle, and struts around like a peacock, perhaps awaiting applause. all the while, the monstrosity is still emitting this cacophonous drone, much to the owner's amusement, and, contemporaneously, the dismay of others. it is all part of the show. it is just a part of the social soup, which explains why there are more car washes, ans shoeshine boys in the DR than any other country. the car has to glisten, the shoes must be burnished, and the empty briefcase has to be shiny, as well.