Fair price for puerco asado and where to buy in Sosua/Cabarete ?

May 20, 2012
We want to buy a smallish one. Those just look delicious!!

Clueless about how to go about it. Know anywhere between Cab and Sosua I could arrange one?

I am assuming they are priced by the pound (probably on the hoof) so need to know what a fair price is this year. I know I will pay more, but want to keep it within reason.

And how does one get these home??

Another adventure ensues..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We want to buy a smallish one. Those just look delicious!!

Clueless about how to go about it. Know anywhere between Cab and Sosua I could arrange one?

I am assuming they are priced by the pound (probably on the hoof) so need to know what a fair price is this year. I know I will pay more, but want to keep it within reason.

And how does one get these home??

Another adventure ensues..

be careful how you buy. you might also want to research a fair price for kaopectate.

May 20, 2012
Agreed

Yeah, that thought had occurred to me too. Good advice.

That's part of why I am asking for guidance. And if I arrange in advance it should help, right?

Anyone bought one before?

be careful how you buy. you might also want to research a fair price for kaopectate.

May 20, 2012
Oh, thanks for helping. I have a few questions.

If you were i, how would you go about finding one here?

What do the small ones weight on the hoof? I assume that's they way they are sold.....

Do you mind sharing what you paid so I have some clue as to what's reasonable?

And what's the drill on getting it cooked and then it to your house for Christmas Eve meal?

Mat - when does Whirley get back - I know she is in England atm.

Weather - smallish pigs are in short supply due to the season - we have just bought one for a friend and it was hard to find.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Weather is Here:

In Santiago, I would say go to Dilon? out on the road to Licey. There are other places out past the Gallera that have garnered fame.

What you want is someplace that has done this before.

Ask the hotels in the area who does their porkers. Find out where.

I would "guesstimate" that this year you might be looking at near RD$500 a pound for the finished puerco asado. But I could be a bit off.

You need local intelligence...Ask around.

Good to see you back in country...Merry Christmas.

Will you be coming to Santiago? Maybe after 10 Jan???

Cordially,

HB

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
My neighbor does this in Gasper Hernandez, but not sure what he charges by the libra. If you want to know I could ask, but PM me first. I do know that its dam good, as good as the stuff on the autopista by San Fransisco, maybe better.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The Weather is Here:

In Santiago, I would say go to Dilon? out on the road to Licey. There are other places out past the Gallera that have garnered fame.

What you want is someplace that has done this before.

Ask the hotels in the area who does their porkers. Find out where.

I would "guesstimate" that this year you might be looking at near RD$500 a pound for the finished puerco asado. But I could be a bit off.

You need local intelligence...Ask around.

Good to see you back in country...Merry Christmas.

Will you be coming to Santiago? Maybe after 10 Jan???

Cordially,

HB

Wow! That's more than Imported Black Angus Ribeye Steak at Nacional! It would also make a small pig (30 lbs. or so) around $400 US!

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
When you buy it off of the street it's usually 200 pesos per pound. On the 24th it's fresh and there's tons available. If you buy in bulk they throw in more for free. There is a guy in Sosua Abajo who always sells this pork. You might be able to arrange something with him.